Time For A One-Party Nation?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GrayGuy57, Feb 14, 2023.

1. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Politics has ALWAYS, more or less, has had an decidedly unsavory side.

Which DOES make one wonder HOW so many politicians are filling positions that SHOULD be filled by people with noble, selfless ideals, ideals that include serving the American citizen to the utmost of their abilities, instead of of just seeking a prestigious position in DC, to only make themselves richer and more priveldged than "common folk"......

"Live long and prosper"

2. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Social media and its many platforms, the tabloids, and, of course, the time-honored rumor mill, also serve to fuel much agitation in the discussion of the sorry state of today's politics.

Both political parties, in recent years, are not only battling each other, but also, now battling WITHIN their own party.

Personally, i think that there are far too many grossly-overinflated egos (not to mention paychecks) in our goverment today.

Think about it....when political parties (SUPPOSEDLY made up of MATURE adults) come close to exchanging phyiscal blows upon each other, what kind of example is that for the American citizen to follow?

Certainly, it is not behavior that most of us "common folk" would wish to emulate.......

"Live long and prosper"

3. Shy0ne

Shy0ne Members

Its by design!
    If we are too busy fighting with each other, we have no time to fight with them! (Them = government actors)
    If a bee stings you on the arm, drop a hammer on your foot and you will forget all about the bee! ;)
    Keep the fighting fires raging at all times and feed Americans a constant supply of anger invoking issues, especially by getting in the middle of their religion! RvW etc. Followed by constitutionally overreaching draconian laws.
    Its patented and works every time!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  4. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

The topic got hijacked by Molly's Democrat bullshit.

To wit: "Women and minorities have actually lost rights at the hands of the gop, a party currently looking to ban books in schools as if reading is the problem".

What garbage.

5. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

I noticed, also, that this topic was veering off into a direction that I certainly did not want it to go.:(

At least we are now "back on track", so to speak!;)

My family, for decades, had been staunch Democrats.

Today, I am the last "holdout", so to speak, and, even there, I think of myself more these days as an "independent".

Not surprisingly, i do NOT talk politics with anyone in my family, only talking to a few trusted friends I know are on the same "political wavelength" as myself.

IMHO, people can disagree on a political topic, even strongly so, but SILL remain civil.......:)

"Live long and prosper"

6. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

I, too, am an independent voter.

7. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Great minds DO think alike, I see!;)

These days, given so much heated turmoil in both parties, I think it is wise to be an independent voter.

I've read that our nation has not been so divided since the days of the Civil War.:(

Talking politics, long ago, could be QUITE interesting; even if some disagreed with your political leanings/beliefs, you still did not have the high level of volatility that you have today.

And, these days especially, when you have NO idea just what might make someone ticked off enough to pull out a gun or a knife, I find it very wise NOT to discuss politics with anyone, UNLESS you know beforehand WHAT their party affiliation and opinions are.....

"Live long and prosper"

8. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Many of us know what it is like to live under one-party rule. It isn't good.

There are places in the US in which only one party is effectively present (e.g., Hawaii, Massachusetts, and Wyoming). Illinois, which leans less Democrat than Indiana does Republican, is still effectively a one-party state, especially for those living in Chicago (2.5 million people) and Cook County (5.2 million people).

Every statewide elected official in Illinois is a Democrat. There are Democratic super-majorities in both chambers of the state legislature. Both US Senators are Democrats. Of the US House delegation of 17 members, 14 are Democrats. All elected officials in Chicago are Democrats. Of the elected Cook County Board of Commissioners, 16 are Democrats, and only 1 is a Republican.

Granted, it is the election process that produced this result. It is the choice of the voters, but the problem with it, and with one-party rule anywhere it exists, is that most deals are made behind closed doors, as within a family. There is little public debate, and little public scrutiny. It lends itself to misuse of power, cronyism, secret deals, and corruption. Far from being efficient, government by one party quickly becomes extremely efficient only at wasting public funds.

Once one party achieves a critical mass of control, gerrymandered voting districts cement that party's continuing rule, potentially in perpetuity.

Two-party gridlock is better than one-party rule.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  9. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

From most of the comments posted here thus far, it would seem that a "one-party" rule is not acceptable to most.

In my original posting, I can see what I was really trying to say is that, like so many other Americans, I was simply tired of all the inane bickering, arguing, and untruths running rampant on Capitol Hill.

Given what the situation is today, it would seem that, at the very least, SOME sort of "revamping" is in order for BOTH parties.

By that, I mean that there should be MORE effort to find a "common ground" between parties, so that, at least, some progress might be made, particularly on "hot button" issues.

Too, so much that is emitted from the mouths of our politicians in Washington would be better used as fertilizer.

Many politicians these days (on local, state, and federal levels) seem to focus more on their massive salaries (and the countless associated perks they enjoy) than actually EARNING their salaries and WORKING to REPRESENT the PEOPLE who elected them..............

"Live long and prosper"

10. MollyCuddled

MollyCuddled Members

As long as it’s winner take all there ia no incentive for cooperation

11. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

That is what is needed. While our central government in the UK is party political, local government has an ever increasing number of independent members winning seats at the local elections.
    When we want to contact our local representatives, we just call them on the phone, or go and bang on their front door. :D

12. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

No absolutely not. That is the worst solution. One party nations (such as North Korea, Soviet Russia, China et al.) tend ot be the worst places. A better solution would be to get rid of parties and have people vote on candidates by their own views and merit and not with a part backing, just as George Washington warned in his farewell address.

13. Shy0ne

Shy0ne Members

They have run out of legitimate work to do within the boundaries of the Bill of Rights, hence they are now invading our personal lives by rebranding everyones religion as secular to get control of religion, same with the free speech bans through their corporate media proxies, and now they have taken control over our womb, and mandating we inject foreign substances into our bodies that the majority of inventors of these same substances refused to take! We we have degenerated into human lab rats.

Today we have very close to a 2 party dictatorship, like with NAFTA, party A creates it, party B screams and rants about it, then party B gets in office and very quietly pushes it through, and the majority of Americans are none the wiser, as long as they feel their team is winning.

the government was warned bny its creators to stay out of speech and religion business, that is properly the realm of each individual, and now that they havent we are under constant assault by our own government that is in effect terrorizing its own people by pushing issues contrary to our interests and causing massive hate and discontent among the citizenry.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  14. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

I like how you brought up NAFTA, a great example, and when the closest thing we had to a viable third option we have had in decades (Ross Perot) said something about it, he was ridiculed.

15. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

This bullshit Republican culture war is exactly what is dividing the country (well besides Trump) turning neighbor against neighbor. Right out of Putin's KGB playbook.
    Trump shilled for him like Tucker Carlson, both should face criminal charges.

scratcho, Tishomingo and Tyrsonswood like this.
  16. Shy0ne

Shy0ne Members

The CIA invented and proffered the pejorative 'conspiracy theory' as a slogan to shut down and dismiss valid avenues of investigation outside the governments 'theory'. Same with 911 which we now know is an abortion on a galactic scale. :)

Piney likes this.
  17. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

What would it look like? Something like Nazi Germany. Or North Korea. Or China, Cuba, Eritrea, the Sahwari Arab Democratic Republic, Laos,etc. There are worse things than disunity! Unfortunately, I think it would be possible--under Trump or Desantis.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    Toker likes this.
  18. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

And you got that from..? Let me guess. Q-Anon? InfoWars? Russia Today? Tucker Carlson? Your voices?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  19. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Certain States and Cities in the US are governed by One Party Rule.

How is that working out?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  20. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My Grandfather was a public servant in Jersey City, NJ. during the tenure of Mayor Frank Hague. The Mayor had made the claim: "I am the Law"

I am the law