Tie-Dye

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Dude, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Dude

Dude Member

I don't know how to make these shirts and there's no place to buy it here, some hints?tips? anything?

2. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

Do you already have the dye?

3. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

You can buy them online. It's been so long since i've dyed a shirt, but i think that you get a tub of water - put in one color- wring your shirt up really tight (like you're gonna hit someone with a towel) then dunk shirt in colored water. let dry. Repeat with dif. color and wring shirt up so a white part is showing again. Wait for someone to back me up or refute my directions though because, again, it's been awhile. Goodluck!

4. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I've never dunked a shirt straight into the dye... but you do get a tub of water, and mix soda ash in with it (if you have none, ignore this part)... let the shirt soak forr 20 or so minutes in it.
    if you dont have any, i dunno if youd leave the shirt dry or soak it in just water -- but dont use salt -- then mix the dye (i'm assuming its the powder stuff) in those little ketchup bottles with water, and squirt them onto the shirt then... and be sure to wring your shirt, etc etc etc... you dont have to follow a set pattern, just be creative.

5. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

So did you find out how and make a shirt? How'd it go man?

6. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You should eat some amanitas and do tie dye. :D

7. John221

John221 Senior Member

Buy yourself some cheap plain white t-shirts, grab a small handful of fabric and wrap some string around a few times very tightly, then tie it into a knot. Repeat this untill you have an unrecognisable bundle of knobbly fabric and string.

Then get a basin or a buket of water, add the dye, leave your tied t-shirt to soak for a few hours, then let it dry. Bob's your uncle.

By the way, I don't have a clue how to make those tie dye shirts that are all different colours; how do you do it without all of the colours just merging and going a shitty colour? And ideas?

8. Smerfish

Smerfish Senior Member

I just go to the craft store buy the heavier cotton tshirts that arent so flimsy as the undershirts.. I've found they hold the dye better.. then I buy dye from like the grocery store or lately I've been buying it from the Wildflower boutique.. and I get squirt bottles and fill them with dye.. I bunch my shirts up and squirt away hehehe it's like Picasso... if you want more detailed instructions just message me and I'll be more than happy to help you... I LOVE LOVE tie dye!!

9. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

or you could be a lazy fuck like me and buy them off hippyshop.com

10. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

ebay works. commercialized bastards... but what can ya do.