Tie Dye

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by badwolf, Mar 23, 2006.

1. hamish...

hamish... Member

im just gettin into new hobbies and id like to find out how to tie dye things can anybody direct me to instructions or tell me etc? im really curious and want to find out more.

ta = )

2. trekker

trekker Intrepid Traveler

You buy dye and white t-shirts. You fill buckets with water and put in a color of dye in each bucket. Tie rubber bands around twisted parts of the shrit. Dip each twisted piece into a color for a bit, and then take the shirt out and do the same for all the tied pieces of the shirt.

Online there should be some advice to get you going; more than I can say.

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/howtotiedye.shtml

3. FreakerSoup

FreakerSoup Stranger

4. hamish...

hamish... Member

cheers!

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

6. Brkonthru2daothersid

Brkonthru2daothersid Member

Well I love dip dying when tye dying but I have found that using a paint brush one of the sponge kind or even a sponge or a regular paint brush will work. Here is some of the baby tye dye onesies I just finished myself. I used small brushes to absorb the dye and used rubber bands and wrapped the baby onesies to get the different shapes that came out. These are up for grabs if you like them too[​IMG] I love trades by the way......give me ur BO. if you like them

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/DawnSon64/P6090373.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/DawnSon64/P6090374.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/DawnSon64/P6090375.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/DawnSon64/P6090376.jpg

7. hamish...

hamish... Member

hehe cool

8. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

RIT sucks. The only reason I could ever find for using it is a short term color pick-up if you have black or blue pants that must stay "new" color for work. It washes out and fades REALLY fast.
    I've used Rainbow Rock. Only once. It sucked. It washed out right away and wasn't as bright as it should have been. *I used all of the appropriate chems.*
    I tried Jacquard and Tulip. They were also inferior. I got the same results as I had with the Rainbow Rock.
    I started using Dharma nearly 3 years ago. I love the service. If I order something, it gets to me by week's end. The colors are awesome, and if you do pay more than for the other companies, it is only because it's better stuff. If there is a difference between dye lots, it is negligible. I tie dye for fests and it has never let me down.

9. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

Love the kilt!

10. loveisdivine

loveisdivine Guest

So I'd been reading all about tie dyeing, in particular about how poly cottons don't really work too good. Well, we had a load of 50/50 poly cotton sheets that I wanted to tie dye to be decorations for our wedding so I figured I'd just give it a go and see how they turn out.

Well they turned out great! Really bright and not pale at all. So maybe poly cotton isn't too bad after all! Here's a pic of them drying on the line, now to buy more dye and more sheets :)

[​IMG]

11. drumminmama

What dye did you use, and do you see a sheen of white on the sheets? If he poly is not on the surface, blends can dye like high cotton content.

They look bright!

12. loveisdivine

loveisdivine Guest

I used Procion MX. I don't have them to hand to check but I don't think they have a sheen to them. They are only for decoration so it doesn't matter much anyway. I was just surprised cos everything I read said they would come out REALLY pale, but obviously that's not always the case.

Oh and incase anyone wants to know, they are Ikea bed sheets and only cost €2 each!

13. drumminmama

I've dyed some 50/50 as a test before and they were pretty hazy.
    Not pastel, but the person who bought them wore pastels.

If your poly blends dye that well, it's pretty good fabric/higher cotton content.
    And a great price.

14. loveisdivine

loveisdivine Guest

drumminmama - I Checked and when you look real close the fabric does have a slight, white sheen to it. Thankfully nobody is going to be looking that closely at them, and you don't notice it from a far so I'm not too worried. They will only be used for decoration.

Did another batch of polycotton sheets at the weekend and threw in a few cotton tshirts too. Tried our hands at a couple different designs, a heart and a peace sign :) They turned out fairly well I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. drumminmama

We had a custom order client who really, really wanted a particular shirt used. It was Lands End, and what we'd heard of the company didn't cause us any worry.
    Then the dye came out of the washer, and I sat down to pull the stitches
    It was frosted! The "100 percent cotton" had a high poly content.
    They made it right for the customer from a shirt perspective, but she still paid for the dye work.
    I'm assuming she wore it, but it was not our best representation.