Tie Dye

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by badwolf, Mar 23, 2006.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

for that you can use natural dyes (and their toxic mordants) and have even MORE character.
    Analine dyes can be done subtly, but that's not usually what a dye customer wants.
    If I bought a dye from someone and it faded considerably (not bled, but faded) in the first 5 -10 washes, I'd be up in arms.
    I had a HUGE problem with Hi-ho when they did Keller Williams' (batik) shirts in 98-99 for bleed problems.
    I'd call and no one would discuss their treatments, like dyeing was a trade secret. I wasn't asking ratios, I simply was checking if they were Procion/ analine dyed and did Hi-ho syntropol wash. my guess was they didn't prewash with a suspension.
    All I wanted to do was preserve their work!

2. badwolf

badwolf Member

Thank you for the explaination.

3. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

I tried natural dyes, but the mordants botherd me (I'm hyper sensitive to lots of things, especially chemicals) more than the Rit does, and made the fabric stiff and scratchy. Coffee turned the fabric a very lovely color, and didn't need so much mordant, though. I'm just not a brown sort of person.

I always set the dye and wash it until it stops fading before I consider it finished. I used to really love dying with textile ink, because it sets in the dryer and I never had any to bleed, or fade. And because of the limitless color and design possibilities. But I got bored with that before the end of the 80's. I'm not so into the trendy looking tiedyes, what's popular and will sell better, but I understand that if you are selling your products, you gotta make what the majority wants.

that sucks. Nothing bothers me more than a company with crappy customer relations.

4. gertie

gertie Senior Member

i use RIT at the camp i teach arts at and at home. its worked well for me, but make sure you use salt if you use that brand to help set it. and rememeber the longer it soaks the darker it is.

5. drumminmama

well, if using techniques that date to the pre-rabbinic period is "trendy".....

6. melonhead

melonhead Member

i'm dying some baby onesies to give a friend as a gift. i'm gonna use rit dye, as babies grow so fast, i expect they'll only be washed a few times before they are too small.

anyway, i haven't done this in 20 years or so.
    so i just make designs with rubberbands, and soak it in the dye?
    if i leave it soaking too long, will the dye bleed into the rubber banded areas?

i think i'm gonna try what hippiestead said: "a friend of our did some almost bright Rit dyes that held the color. She said she used boiling water to dye; then dumped the clothes in icy cold water"

peace
    LP

7. Brkonthru2daothersid

Brkonthru2daothersid Member

thanx guys for all the great ideas. I am planning to to do some baby onesies for a present and wasnt sure what dye to use. I didnt want it to bleed that much but I also didnt want it to react to the babies fragile skin and buying tye dye onesies is sooooooo dang expensive........grrrrr So I figure I will just make my own. I have quite a few of them that were just a little stained so I figured I could test drive on them first. Wish me luck! thanx again though.......Peace

www.dawnson64.piczo.com[​IMG]

8. drumminmama

Good dyes are often handed around, though!
    Jo ann's and Dharma both carry the jaquard kit for 10 adult shirts (and dharma can be sweet-talked into subbing colors and making their own "kit.")
    Direct application is the way to do if you use more than one color.
    we use foam brushes for simple foldwork. (syringes for details)
    mix a small amt of (analine) dye in a jar and apply with foam brushes, flip and apply on other side (usually in a different order to get color mesh). I'm assuming you know basic patterns?
    if you think you have too much dye, make the parents or siblings matching dyes...even socks.

9. Brkonthru2daothersid

Brkonthru2daothersid Member

I took ur advice "drumminmma" and used some sponges to apply the dye that I just bought............worked out great. I did some flowers with red dye and made the middle part of them yellow like a flower. Turned out beautifully:) I figured even if the dyes came together or bleed which I have had happen before, that they would blend to make a pretty orange. Not to much bleeding as far as that went with the sponges, but then again I used just a little bit of dye around the area. As soon as I figure out how to upload pics..........grrrrrrr been havin trouble since I started. Then maybe I can show you how they turned out. I still have a lot more dye left so I guess I will get back to ya on how all the onesies I have turn out:) Thanx though great help guys!

10. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

have you heard of the mail order company called Dharma Trading Co?
    1-800-542-5227
    [​IMG]dharmatrading.com (course u have to put the "http://" in front)

11. drumminmama

its in post 2.

12. lola78

lola78 Member

I think Rit is just okay if you are going to be dyeing simple things for yourself. But if you really wanna shine and you are going to be making some $$ from your wares, you need to go with procion. The dyes are fairly easy to work with and a little goes a long way. I used to Rit dye but the results are never consistent . I made a dozen hemp t's for my hubby and he does landscaping, plus we line dry so the rit did not hold up to the repeated abuse of washings and sun drying. Plus I have heard of RIT dyes turning odd colors in the hot spots on clothes like the pits and the crotch.
    I think for onesies it would be fair because they tend to be used for such a short time. PLUS RIT is so limited color wise and with procion you can really let loose!

13. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

nope... just as long as it's fabric dye... I've found myself using different kinds, I really don't have a preferance.

14. Color_Me_Tie-Dye

Color_Me_Tie-Dye Member

sharing a smile.... I'm such a ding bat. I saw the picture above and thought man that guy is hot, looks like he has great karma.... then I read the quote. Dah .... that's Bob he's so sexy!

15. drumminmama

Kim, put down the pipe, honey... what picture? what quote?

16. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

i want to know how to tie dye my own stuff without buying a kit. i dont;t like the idea of using one...besides the only place around here that would have them is stupid wal mart. i found this great site where these women sell ones they've put together just to make a living but i can't afford to order them. if i could, i would, just to support small business. as it is, maybe i can still slap wal mart in the face by making my own. any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks friends!

17. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

I'm so glad you asked and I'm sorry I don't have an answer...I've been wondering the exact same thing.

18. drumminmama

because you can spell tie dye, I'll answer with some ideas.
    Colorado Wholesale Dye offers kits, as does dharma trading company.
    the Jacquard kit that is the box with lots of T-shirts printed on it is available through most art supply stores, including Jerrysartarama.com and Dick Blick.
    Jo Anns carries it in parts of teh country as well.
    You can build your own from www.dharmatrading.com by ordering small amounts of at least three and preferably seven colors.

what do you want to dye?

19. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

i want to do a few t-shirts and maybe a cotton skirt. i know bedding is hella difficult to do, but they look so cool on a bed, and comfortable somehow. i'd love to give that a try. also, is it possible to tie dye bathing suits? thanks for your suggestions. I'm about to go check them out now.

20. drumminmama

yeah, dharma has some cotton-lycra bathing suits. If i remember right they run small.

also, what's the problem with a kit? all a kit has is a few colors, the activator, some basic tools (squirt bottles, usually) gloves and instructions.
    So it comes in one box, not three. So what?
    My sweetie started with a Jacquard kit in '89.
    He's retiring, but this is what he does now:[​IMG]

that's Paul posing with a shirt in his hands.
    Steve Kimock had this piece. It was stolen, I understand.
    Avalon was finished in 2002.