Tie Die and leary

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 8, 2004.

1. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

Leary on his first acid trip thought everyone was their own super hero so he wore a superhero costume, bright colours? thus creating the tie die craze for hippies all over?

seriously where did the tie die come in?

2. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

I'm sure Leary didn't invent tie-dye. I don't know where it came from, but it sure is awsome! It embodies so many hippy values. They are colorful and psychedelic as well as unique and spontanious.

3. attackmole

attackmole Member

Tie Die+Dreadlocks= Super Cool!!!

4. bradleydontpush

bradleydontpush Member

I bet it was just some stoned out potheads that thought they could just throw dye into a washing machine and out came tye dye! That's just a theory though. I got a bunch of em. he he...

5. Micro

Micro Member

tie dye has been around for thousands of years. I'm not sure if anyone knows where it started Africa, India or Asia??? And don't forget about batik.

6. cotter builds

cotter builds Member

someone probably spilled thier bong on thier multi-colored shirt. either way, tie dye is absolutely wonderful when youre on a trip.

7. SunFree

SunFree Member

Oooh, I'm wearing tye-dye right now. I didn't make it myself, though, my parents bought if for me at a saturday market in Eugene. You know, I've heard theories too...but I can't think of a single thing right now.

8. mikeyjwest

mikeyjwest Member

I think that shit would be much cooler if everyone wore those kind of colors like in yellow submarine. But people are dressing more subtle now adays.

9. Pobble

Pobble Member

hell yeah! [​IMG] :D such pretty colours

10. underwhelmed

underwhelmed Member

oo i wana third that!! im wearing some tye dye right now. im not sure why, but its just so appealing to my eyes

11. ericf

ericf Member

I love tye-dye. It is so much fun.

I used to work at a gas-station. They had one rule for the shirt dress code. Guys needed collared shirts. I went out and bought a bunch of 100% cotton polo-shirts and a tye-dye kit. The manager laughed her ass off when I came into work my third week wearing my new shirts. The customers loved them and it started many conversations on music and "other" things.

After I left the company they put a stop to all future fun. They didn't change the dress code but they started handing out uniform shirts that everyone was supposed to wear. I love tye-dye and wear it almost all the time when I am not working or volunteering in the schools (required for my education degree).

I am wearing one of my old work shirts right now... even though it has a collar I still love it and the others. The only collared shirts I actually like to wear. Tye-dye makes everything better.

12. underwhelmed

underwhelmed Member

but see.. you brought in more customers probably, they would come back just to see your cool shirt.

13. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

I whear tyd-dyes evey day...they are so awesome

14. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I love tie-dyes :) I really don't know a lot about the history of them... actually, I don't know anything about the history of them, but I love wearing them, but they're so colorful. Unfortunately, I haven't made any of them, but I will make some.

15. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Tie dye history 101. I charge for upper-level classes ;P

earlliest use of bundling, binding or tying as a resist (pressure to keep dye off certain parts of the cloth) was approx. 500 BCE. Most is from Western Africa and called "pulange." India, indonesia and China all had pressure-resist techniques by 800 CE.
    African dyes are stilll among the most vibrant of non-red vegetable dyes.
    Since Jerusalem was a trade center, the likelihood of Jesus or the disciples having some is good. Picture THAT!
    Bhandanna work (from which we have bandannas) dates from 500 CE to present day. It is tie work around small objects: rice, stones, coin, Indian.
    Indonesia began to fine tune bhandhanna work farther and introduced stitching as a technique. Tritik is found in China through Java.
    Stitching eveolved into shibori in Japan. See Itchiku Kubota's work for a blend of shibori, tie-and-dye and silk painting on kimono.
    Tritik's high point in china was about 800 CE and it was used exclusively with indigo.

Tie-dye had popularity in the 1920s and '30s, see Truman Capote's "A Christmas Story," as part of the Arts and Crafts movement.
    Lots of techniques from the A&C movement would cycle around in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
    Today most tie dye is created with aniline dyes (mostly Procion, but a few others) on natural fibers.

Batik is related only because it is a resist, and once you learn to handle the dye , many artisans and crafters will do both. Batik is more closely related to African mudcloth.
    Ikat weaving (the white resist in many Guatemalan imports) is a bind and dye prior to weaving.

Modern tritik can be seen here: www.3rdeyecandy.com
    class dismissed. (ring)

16. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

ooo.. yay... its recess time... today's activity... TIE DYE!!

YAYAYAYAY! (little children scream with delight)

"NOOO!!" the puritan parents scream. "Not that filthy tie-dye"

oh welll

17. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

Turn on Tune in Drop Out

18. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Great post drummin, but i must correct that Jesus did not have any tye dyed clothes, or any dyed clothes at all for that matter. Only the Roman emperor was allowed to wear colored clothing, that color being purple, at the time being the only color available, made from thousands of rare crushed sea shells from a beach in the mediterranean (i think, so don't quote me or anything). The Romans would have killed him on the spot if they saw him wearing purple clothing. Although, later on when trading with India, and later trading with Aisa, silks were introduced, along with other colors. Be free to correct me if I am mistaken.

Oh yeah, I'm sportin the tye-dye:D

19. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

backtothelab,

sumptuary laws restricted reds, purples (and cochineal [a mollusk] makes a red-purple, not the royal purple of Hollywood) and later, black (in Europe)

the average schmoe in 5 BCE would have some limited acces to vegetable dye and have clothing that was colored from the fibers themselves. think goat wool.
    Some apostles and early Xtians were traders, and would have the better cloth and better decor for it.
    Indigo would have been traded in the Levant at that time, and the likelihod of a homemaker doing something other than a flat color is a high possibility.
    I have a fuzzy memory of a gown (possibly maternity?) with a resist edge that dated from 30 CE. Now, if I could only remember where I found that reference....

20. daymuse

daymuse Member

Tie dye is alright for vacation bible schoolers in-between cookies and pink lemonade. Otherwise, No thank you. Backtothelab how would yo know if Jesus didnt wear tie dye? He was totally anti-authority.