Tibet

Discussion in 'Politics' started by backtothelab, May 11, 2004.

1. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

What the hell happened with tibet. I mean, China is off stealing other people's countries, and we don't say jack. Disgraceful

2. Jozak

Jozak Member

What is the U.S. supposed to do? If the U.S. did anything, people would tell them they are being aggressive and to mind their own affairs. I support a free Tibet, but do you honestly think anyone in their right mind is going to fuck with the Chinese army?

3. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

It's too touchy to mess with China over this, and we've enough problems in the Middle East. I sympathize with Tibet, but I don't think they'll ever really be a happy nation. It was bound to have been used as a buffer state by one of its two icy neighbors, China or India (India uses Bhutan and Nepal as its satellites and swallowed the Himilayan kingdom of Sikkim). It's just such a ill-located country. And if it attained independence, who would hold power? Many Han Chinese now live in Tibet. Should it be a democracy or a religious state under the Lamas (which is what leaders like the Dalai Lama want)?

4. Bonky

Bonky Member

problem is that china is destroying their culture. In Tibet every 4th person is a preacher or monach (i don't know it in eng.)There are a lot of spirit and soul valuables that will simply dissapear and that is terrible. On the other side,china gives a big attention to it's own culture. Dalai Lama is trying to do something about that but it is obvious that it won't help. It's horrible...

5. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

I too support the whole Free Tibet thing.

HOWEVER!!! We are getting our asses served in Iraq. Imagine invading a country with over 1 billion people and probably the largest(though not as advanced) military in the world.

THAT WOULD BE SUICIDE!!

we would be speaking Chinese within 20 years if we tried to "get it on" with China.

6. sonik

sonik Member

I too sympathize but I feel it is a lost cause as far as government action is concerned.

Sadly the world as much greater and more dangerous issues it needs to deal with first.

:(

7. Mui

Mui Senior Member

Everyone automatically assumes that we must go to war with china to free tibet... thats not true... its not like there isnt any diplomatic things we could be doing to help tibet...

Tibet is where the real massacre is taking place... The culture is being raped, the people are being raped... china is using tibet as a place to put its poor criminals... its been going on for a long time...

8. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

we own all the jobs in china. If we pulled all our buisness out of there, they'd be screwed. And cynical, look at japan and china, they controlled china for hundreds of years, i'm not quite sure if they'd really be able to put up a fight. Then again, they have facotries. idk, but of what iv'e seen of china, there's alot of poverty, i just don't think that the bulk of the country if going to be fighting us over tibet.

9. Jozak

Jozak Member

Are you serious? China has the largest standing army in the world--what do you mean they wouldnt be able to put up a fight!?

10. psychedelic_unclesam

psychedelic_unclesam Member

the world is fucked up.

11. Flowerian

Flowerian Senior Member

Have you ever heard of oil in Tibet? Somethin interersting? Some experts in the population? No, only mountains and poor people. Human rights don't interest the USA as long as the country in which they aren't respected has nothing which can be made to money....

12. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I used to edit a Tibetan freedom newsletter thing when I was in high school. It's pretty much always been kind of ignored and has become someone of a joke...like with all the folks yelling Free Tibet at concerts and the bumper stickers.....it doesn't really mean a lot to most people.

You're right....because there's no oil, there's no immediate action for freedom. China is actually illegaly in control of Tibet because of a treaty they forced them to sign when they first took control. I can't remember all the details, so don't ask for specifics. :)

I found a lot of helpful people at http://www.milarepa.org.

13. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

One of the big things with Buddhists is that everything is imperminent, that countries, people, ideas and even religions come and go. The selfish clinging to existence is the cause of suffering, the denial of the truth that everything that is will not be leads mankind to irrational ends. Hell, the entire concept of nationalism is absurd in this perspective.
    It is anti-buddhist to support a free tibet, and shame on the dalai lama for not knowing that.

14. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

If Tibet had oil then our army would be sent there in a heartbeat. :mad:

15. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Actually China more so owns us. What would the US do without all the cheap stuff that Walmart sells and we continue to buy. Chinese products have made some of the US's most wealthy and powerful business people. China's economy could survive without us, but our current warehouse, Sam's Club, Walmart economy would be greatly shaken without China.

Don't kid yourself, as was just said, they have a huge Army and could overwhelm an invading force with sheer numbers.

Based on suburban US and other western cultures China may seem to have a lot of poverty, but they actually feed themselves. I have seen more degenerate, hopeless, in the dirt, destitute poverty in San Francisco than in all the eleven provinces in China I have spent time in. Sure people are carrying grain and water in buckets suspended from sticks on their backs, with their children following with loads of their own, but this is what they do for food and they are eating, not stealing or begging.