Tibet protests

Discussion in 'Stoners Lounge' started by weedwhacker, Mar 17, 2008.

1. weedwhacker

weedwhacker TFM Bro!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7299965.stm

i can't belive what I'm reading. the chinese government opening fire into a crowd of protestors? China is the absolute worst place we could have the olympics.

I really like the part where it said Tibeten protesters burned a Chinese flag and replaced it with the flag of Tibet.

2. krewskater

krewskater Member

Unfortunately, this isn't very new for China to open fire on protesters, and I really hate having to say that. Is that a Tianenmen Square picture in your signature?

3. digitalldj

digitalldj Canucks ftw!

China gets things done.

4. weedwhacker

weedwhacker TFM Bro!

haha yea it is. yet another example of chinese oppression and protest.

5. PharmaPhunk

PharmaPhunk Banned

zing

6. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

its true, their utter disregard for human life and no ethical values makes life a lot easier for them :p

7. st. stephen

st. stephen Senior Member

its not gonna be to long before china says fuck it and kills all the tibetins

8. weedwhacker

weedwhacker TFM Bro!

yep. apparently freedom of speech isn't part of the communist government :(

9. johntronic

johntronic Member

Friend, freedom of speech is slowly being suffocated right here, @ home. Only difference, is that it is subtle.

The communist government is heirarchal, not a 3 headed system like the US' democracy.
    It truly is a double edged sword.
    On one hand, China is remarkably decisive in making both economic and social decisions, and on the other, they completely lack checks and balances. There is rampant corruption in the form of bribes, coercion, and money laundering. And yes, even the occassional offense towards basic human rights.

China is essentially rushing through the equivalent of America's industrial age in hyperspeed. I am an ABC (American Born Chinese), and I myself can not defend what the Chinese gov't is doing to the Tibetans.
    It is deplorable, but do not let these crimes cloud your vision.

Chinese people aren't heartless monsters. People truly are the same, where ever you go. The cultures change, the food changes, the environment switches up, but people are people. Some are saintly, some are pure evil, and most are just regular, beautiful average-joes.

Besides, it wasn't so long ago the United States was committing mass genocide and enslaving people.
    Look how far She's come!
    Give China time.
    Any place that can invent paper, Mongolian beef, and Shaolin Kung fu deserves a chance.

10. weedwhacker

weedwhacker TFM Bro!

o I agree, it's just that the Chinese government and the way it's set up makes it almost impossible for the people to change it, but they try. I mean just look at the pic in my sig. and you're right about the checks and balances thing, imagine if the executive judicial and legislative branches had no checks or balances, we would be soo much trouble (good thing the founding fathers knew this). anyway, yea I give all respect to chinese people, but no respect to chinese government (or american government for that matter)

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

China and the U.S. are both full of corruption. The U.S. are just a bit more subtile.

12. Mother's Love

Mother's Love Generalist

corruption is constant. the difference is, that our government isn't always right, and we have the right to call them on it.
    the chinese government "is" always right, so they cannot be reproached.
    By allowing the olympics to be held there, the world will look closely at china, and then will either condemn their treatment of citizens, or ignore it. (politically)
    it was a poor move for china. its also absurd that they are saying the protesters started it, that its all the Dali Lama's fault. they've been lying to their own people for so long, they seem to think we'll fall for it too.
    the way humans abuse other humans is horrific, and few are willing to change it.

13. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

14. recklessrick

recklessrick Member

This is an attempt to sabotage the Olympics, Bush has had a hard on for Hu since day one.

Now so why are you caring more about Tibet and your passed sins are hidden away, and you are trying to appear all righteous, moral, and holier that thou?

15. Mother's Love

Mother's Love Generalist

My sins (i'll pretend that i believe in such a thing) are not the issue. I am not holier than anyone, i just know the difference between right and wrong.
    The issue is that there are people on the planet suffering, and leaders who don't take care of, or really care about the welfare of their people.
    Will you pretend that the planet is not overpopulated? that Beijing isn't smoggy? even Denver is smoggy sometimes. Will you pretend that everyone who does what the government says is right, and that those with minds of their own are wrong?
    Will you blame both old violence and new on an old man who wants peace?

I am not Bush, and I will confess to not having a clue as to what my "past sins" may have been, but I think you step over the line to say that I suddenly care about Tibet. I have cared since I first saw a 'Free Tibet' bumper sticker. Everyone deserves to be free.

16. MaximusXXX

MaximusXXX Senior Member

Whenever I see some hippie shouting " Free Tibet " I shout back " Free Quebec ".

[​IMG]

17. recklessrick

recklessrick Member

By past sins Motherlove i mean, what you as an american have done in Iraq and Afghanistan.you pay taxes you fund the war.4,000 G.I.s and how many Iraqis??

18. Mother's Love

Mother's Love Generalist

I did not choose to send the military to war. I was a junior in high school when terrorism became a flash word. I couldn't vote then.
    I do not choose to pay taxes. Not only that, I am a stay at home mom, and the last year I worked was 2005.
    Our president is a moron, and I didn't vote for him. Most Americans are morons, and I didn't make them that way. Most of the congressmen (and women) didn't read the patriot act before they signed it, because if it says patriot, it has to be good.

To say that they are my sins, is to hold the accident of my birth against me. Because I was born here, live here, and will eventually die here, you say it was my individual choice to send thousands of people to their death, regardless of nationality. That it is my fault directly that bad guys exist.
    I do not choose what my tax money goes to. I don't like that people die because of my countries idiot decisions, I dont l,ike how they use my money, I don't like thet hate exists, that people in "one god" based religions are pushy, I don't like that muslims hate jews or christians and especially pagans.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I as an individual, as ONE person, can fix ALL the problems facing the planet? How I can redeem myself from the blame on my country? To time travel and prevent my birth?

19. polecat

polecat Weerd

Don't compare what the US is doing in Iraq, to what China is doing in Tibet. The Chinese Govt is occupying a foreign country, and claiming it as their sovereign territory. They're not trying to leave. The US is occupying Iraq, because if we leave they'll kill each other. They have their own government, not (technically) under US rule. Tibet's ongoing occupation is a crime. Iraq's is merely an attempt to damage control one major fuck up.

20. recklessrick

recklessrick Member

The U.S. could care less about the Iraqis.. It's the Oil from day 1 it has been nothing more.

Not technically under US rule, give me a break dood.

Have you ever seen a Tibetan?????? They are ethnically Chinese so according to the Chinese Tibet has always been part of China.

Texas Arizona California you hear the Mexos whining about how it was theirs first before that it was the Indians.

Montana belonged to the Sioux People you took it away from them with extreme prejudice

The pacific North West was taken from the Cheyene and Klamath peoples.

(i'm Rambling)

My point your denial doesn't even begin to describe your psychosis