Thrush: Part Deuce

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by JayzzMama, Jun 28, 2006.

1. JayzzMama

JayzzMama Member

Weeeeeell. I finally got desperate and asked my aunt to ask her Oncologist BIL to write me a dang prescription. I wrote an email with the history and REAMS of links and quotes so he would have it all right at his fingertips. He wouldn't touch it. He said he'd "Never heard of a woman getting thrush on the nipples." And he did 2 WHOLE months in Obstetrics. Whoopee. And "Fluconazole can get in breastmilk." It's supposed to! Not to mention the fact that my liver might just flip over and die if I put even a grain of the stuff in my mouth.And "Her immune system must be compromised if she has thrush, something ELSE must be wrong with her." AAAARRRGGGHH! I'm not mad at him specifically, just the medical community in general. They don't want to believe they could be wrong! They have something against continuing education! Educate yourself Doc, Jebus! So I printed up some La Leche League info sheets and one from Dr. Jack Newman : http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/fluconz.htm
    that actually had the proper prescribing info right on it. I highlighted in neon yellow all the pertinent info about Nystatin resistance and one dose is not enough etc. Then I practicaly DEMANDED the prescription from the guy at the clinic! He had no clue either, but he saw the desperation and he read the lit and he gave it to me! YAHOO! So I got 400mg tonight and 100 twice a day for 14 more days. In addition to the vinegar in the wash as I have been doing. I also got a Dr. Bronners Tea Tree Oil soap bar to wash myself everyday with from now on. Tea Tree is an antifungal, correct? And Maggie, you said I should treat the Whiz, what do I put in it, over the counter yeast infection meds? Oh! And as I'm walking out the door the Doc at the clinic asks if he can see my papers again, I said KEEP IT! Maybe they'll help some other woman some day!

2. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

tea tree is antiseptic, but only if it's a newly opened jar. I always have best luck just using grapefruit seed extract (internally and externally). prescriptions have never worked for me, most yeast is resistant to them now.

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Um, are you talking about your vagina or your partner. (I'm sorry, people use weird terms for both. LOL!) If it is your vagina, the Diflucan will take care of it on it's own. If it is your sex partner, I'd abstain for a week or so, while he uses either a "3 Day" yeast infection creme on his penis and balls or some Tinactin, or Lotrim AF something else for "jock itch" in an ointment form, if he can get it. (I had to buy this for Bear a few times as he was "too embarressed." I have to buy the condoms, too. :rolleyes: ) If he has active symtoms Diflucan would help, but heaven help you getting HIM treated as well.

The Oncologist most likely forgot everything he learned in OBGYN and Pediatric rotations. In Oncology, EVERYTHING looks like cancer. (The old "If you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail, and your only solution is to bang on everything.") Yes. babies get more thrush because their immune systems aren't finished yet, not because there is "something wrong with them."

Good for you for standing up for yourself, for getting the proper information and for dissemenating it to the people who could help you. GOOD MAMA!!!! :D :)

Some people take some Pepcid OTC (extra strength) while they are on Diflucan, as some get tummy aches from it. I always had to, but it isn't a big deal.

Actually the Diflucan won't get into your milk in enough quantity to treat anything, does Jimmy have his own supply?

4. Maggie Sugar

As for your liver, only people with liver disease have to worry. A related drug IS occasionally toxic to the liver, and you can buy this stuff OTC for DANDRUFF, if that makes any sense. But there are NO cases of Diflucan harming healthy livers. The Oncologist is used to dealitn with people with livers damaged by Chemo and cancer, not HEALTHY people who simply got a very common opportunistic infection.

5. JayzzMama

JayzzMama Member

Both DH and DS have their own supply. In fact, HUBBY got a stronger prescription than me! The "Whiz" belongs to me. So I won't mess with it then, I don't want to throw off the "balance". I actually very rarely get yeast infections and I don't think it's been a major player in this drama, though I could be wrong. And my Uncle (by marriage, through my aunts husband) the Oncologist's brother died of liver cancer so, I can see why he would be hesitant. It's a very nasty kind of cancer. On a HAPPIER note!......Thanks for all your moral support Maggie!!!

6. Maggie Sugar

:) Your dh got a stronger prescripton? Why am I not surprised? Did you know that when describing the same pain, men get better and stronger pain meds from most doctors and ERs than womyn do? Men's complaints are often taken more seriously. :(

I AM glad you guys are going to be all taken care of. :)