Thrift Store Finds! :)

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by mtnhighgirl, Feb 1, 2005.

1. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Member

Yesterday was a great day! My hubby took me on a day long thrift store shopping spree! His mom gave us a 50% off coupon for Value Village and we already had a coupon for Penny Pinchers, so we got some great bargains! My hubby was kinda boring and just bought himself some cord pants. He didn't get nearly as excited as I did, so I'm hoping you guys will share my excitement!
    Here's my best find of the day; a full length cotton coat, with a big hoodie. It was $14.99 but I got it for $7.50.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of a wicked skirt; it's homemade and it looks like it was made from an old set of curtains. It's super warm and cozy. It was $5.99 but I got it for $2.99.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of a pretty cotton blouse. I love the contrast of the blue thread on the black background. It was $4.99 but I got it for $2.49. Awesome deal.
    [​IMG]

I also bought myself a thai silk wrap skirt, but it doesn't take a very good pic. I found some great deals for kids clothing too, so I bought my daughter some jeans and a few cute skirts and I spoiled my best friend's kids with cool clothing. She lives way up north and can't get these kinds of deals. I love thrift stores! Yay!

2. Empress Orchid

Empress Orchid Member

I found a NYCO vinel Jacket WITH THE TAGS STILL ON for $5 AND a authintic navey peabody coat for $5, I was TOTALLY on cloud 9

3. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

you're right the blue and black one looks really good! Thrift shopping is the best!

4. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

thirft shopping is GREATTTTTT i love it... sometimes there's crappy stuff though, but the stuff changes so often that you can go back a couple of weeks later and you could find a good deal, even if you didnt the weeks before! so its all good!

5. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Member

I found so many treasures yesterday...too bad they didn't all fit. :( I was thought of buying them anyway, and reselling them on ebay or something. Does anyone else do this?

6. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

that last one is AMAZING! oh ive GOTTA go thrist shopping :D

7. Shineoncrazydiamond

Shineoncrazydiamond Member

I have shopping at thrift stores. its the best way to find vintage and unique clothing. I have found some of my favorite peices of clothing at thrift stores....And Value Village! Is the best one! But since i've moved to the beach, i havent been...coz they dont have one here :( But they have this one right in town called the hem of his garment, that I go to almost every other day. If I find jeans that are awesome, but a bit too small, i just add side panels. And it's a great way to find cool fabricks too, some places have sections of fabrick peices for super cheap, or you can use some of the clothes that have cool fabricks but arent exactly your size or style.
    In fact everything Im wearing right now is from thrift stores, except my jewelry

You got some good deals mtnhighgirl, Love the shirt!
    Happy thrifting! :)

8. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

Nice... I wish i could get finds like that.. out thrift stores have nothing good.. I can hunt high and low... but i never produce anthing that good... :(

9. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Member

I'm very lucky. There are a ton of thrift stores in town; Value Village, Penny Pinchers, Salvation Army, The Bargain Cellar, Cost Savers and more!

10. ThrftShopSweater

ThrftShopSweater Member

i love love love thrift shops!

11. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

man our value village sucks compared to yours hahaha

12. Mui

Mui Senior Member

i get all my secsi sweaters at thrift stores and i got a secsi pink button up t shirt thur too :D

13. paix

paix Senior Member

I love it, especially the top!

I went to a thrift store near me saturday with a friend from work, I got 2 skirts, a dress, a top, a sweater, and a pair of shoes, all for 17.60!!!

I'm still stoked from it!

14. thebeadfairy

thebeadfairy Member

I love thrift stores!!! I do all my shopping for clothes there and for my little girl too. Why spend so much on one thing. And kids grow so fast through clothes! Some of the wonderful things I have found: 2 old prints of Brian Froud Fairies books from 1978. I spent $2 for both! I found one time a 2 huge carrying cases of the old star wars figures, case of old strawberry shortcake dolls,tron, dukes of hazards, etc. I bought them all for $200 and ended up selling them all on ebay for $2000. I also love garage sales!!!!! I found this wonderful fabric of all this beautiful artwork on it. It was angels, lovers, princess with this awesome celtic work. It has a copyright on it 1978.I bought the fabric for 50 cents So I made some purses and listed them on ebay. The two purses sold for $100 I then listed the fabric and sold it for $50 I found out the artist was sulamith wulfing. I made two more purses and listed them. I put the artist name in the title. The lady who owns her artwork told me that she would sue me if I kept selling them and I had no right to print her artwork. I told her I didnt print the work. The fabic was copyrighted. Then the lady went to the artist son and asked about the fabric. She then told me that the fabric was printed in the 70s and she didnt like it and so bought it all off the market. I happen to get some at a garage sale 30 years later. Bootleg fabric is what she called it. She told me she wanted all of it soI lied and I told her that all I had left were the two purses on ebay. She bought those for $50 each too. I relized the fabric was so rare I stashed the rest and still have it . I love her artwork. Anyhoo you will never know what you find at thrift stores and garage sales!
    Tara

15. Desert Stargazer

Desert Stargazer Member

I am dreaming about being in thrift shops. In reality, I go to many second hand stores. In dreams, I pick up Vintage 1940s outfits for 25 cents..and old dolls for a dollar. In the waking state, I have major complaints about some of the "big guys" because I suspect that a lot of goodies are re- routed to dealers, etc. and never reach the main floor. I detest a lot of the prices, too. Who do they think they are selling a freaking tupperwear lid...for a buck ? "it should be about ten cents" ( here goes my inner granny...) The best fun= Bag sales. It's so much fun to run amok, stuffing and compressing clothing into a grocery bag for five dollars. We have the most bizarre reasoning powers when it comes to taking, or not taking something. If a blouse is fantastic, but way too big, I tell myself "I will meet someone that size, and if I don't give it to her as a gift, well, I can pin it to the wall, and...or..stick it onto a teddy bear, and roll up the sleeves" Luckily, I have better control now than I did when I was in my 20's. During my Hippie days, I could find vintage clothing in velvet, and silk. We used to actually wear things like that...everywhere. It was accepted to be different. (Try walking into a Wal Mart wearing an Edwardian Velvet and lace dress nowadays and see the gawkers doing polyester double takes.) I avoid Wal Mart like I avoid staring at George Bush and his smirk....Yard sales are good hunts, too.. I urge young people to start saving up the fun things now. Pack away the treasures for a few decades, and make some money later on. When people reach a certain age, we realise that the things we took for granted...just aren't around any more. I got really obssessed about finding my childhood toys. The next best thing of course, is a good picture, so save a few images from the net, if allowed by the web police...anyway, I could go on and on, but it's great to hear about the recycling ideas, and to know that people appreciate all the crazy fun things. Always keep an eye out for stuff from the atomic era. The 1950s and 60's had unique collectibles. And always keep an eye out for costumes, Halloween stuff...and old records even if they are scratched...you can use them to decorate for a sock hop party. One of my best finds= A Brand New champion Juicer for five dollars. (The lady who ran the shop had no idea what it was) Happy Hunting to all of you !

16. HighBlueSkies

HighBlueSkies Member

The black and blue shirt is a great find! Lucky you.