thrift store clothes

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by lucyinthesky, Jun 15, 2006.

1. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

As an employee at a thrift store, i'm sick of gross people who come in and say they don't wash their value village clothes before they wear them. i've compiled a list (and by list i mean one reason) of why it's a good idea to wash your thrift store clothes before you ever wear them:

A small virus called Molluscum, which is in the pox family and spreads like warts. Molluscum can be transmitted sexually (and without a dr's proper diagnosis can easily be confused with genital warts) as well as through such things as towel sharing, swimming pools, baths, clothes sharing. Molluscum is highly contagious but cureable. It's a major inconvenience and pretty gross looking as well. Anyways, just make sure you wash your second hand clothes before you wear them....i'm sure molluscum isn't the only thing you can catch. That's my 2 cents :)

2. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

That's pretty gross. I didn't know about that molluscum disease, but I'm not surprised and that's pretty funky. When I donate clothes (not that I'm disease infected, but still) I was my clothes. And whenever I buy clothes - whether it be from a thrift store or the mall - it all goes in the machine first before I wear them. I mean, even if the person donating the clothes isn't all diseased or whatnot, you don't know who has what when they're trying the clothes on in the change rooms.

I'm surprised that people don't bother with washing the clothes first. That's kinda gross... You don't know where it's been. ;) Thanks for the informative post though!

3. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

Tehehe, thanks for the heads up! I'll definatly make sure I do that.

4. BungalowBrad

BungalowBrad Member

I havn't washed my thrift clothes a couple times but that was becuase I was just too excited to wear them!

brad

5. lucyinthesky

hahaha yeah i wont lie i've done the same.

6. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

Nope, I always wash mine, the second I get home even if its only like one thing I instantly throw it in the machine :)

7. lucyinthesky

harder to do when you live in an apartment.

8. Echo the Small

Echo the Small Member

Yeah sadly theres been a few times I havent washed them.
    I know its kinda gross but were all humans sharing this planet and a little germ sharing is only to be expected.
    I guess cause my dad was so anally hygenic and a hypochondriac that I'm kinda the opposite.

9. peacelovebarefeet

peacelovebarefeet BuRniN oNe...

Yeah ive not washed my stuff before, but normally, i do... cause who KNOWS who wore it last.... could be some crazy crackhead lady that...... i dont know how to finish this, but you guys get the drift.

10. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

True, Getting my washer and dryer hook up in my second apartment was great!! Who would have ever though one would be excited by such things :)

11. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

whoa crazy, man. thanks for the heads up. i never wash my thrift clothes. i'll be sure to do it now, tho.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

only place i ever bought clothing untill i married a taylor. and i still can't see paying what they want for clothing new, let alone name brand austentation stupidity.

i am pickey about colors and styles i like, but most thrift stores i can usualy find SOMEthing. lime green short sleeve shirts with nerd pockets and double knit brown poly bells are my style but i'll settle for most any solid colored shirt (including "T"s) and brown or other dark colored pants, other then blue, and of any fabric other the wool.

clothing to me isn't something to spend on to try and impress anybody (other then by painting my own artwork on it with machine washable fabric paints), but something only worn to keep warm and or stay out of trouble, and thus to save as much as possible on so as to have the price of what would otherwise be wasted on it on things i really DO want. things i can be creative, or at least play, with.

=^^=
    .../\...

13. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

ugh, this reminds me of the time i found this "one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish" shirt, and i was so excited i didnt inspect it before i bought it, and i got it home to find it had BIG PIT STAINS!!! X_X so i cut the arms off (and the stains out) and made it into a halter top (after i washed it, of course.)
    so the moral of my story is...check the pits!

14. sunnycynic

sunnycynic Member

my dad is a biology teacher at our junior college and he says that your skin is impermeable to the bacteria and germs in thrift store clothes....but that its still a good idea to wash b/c if the harmful bacteria gets into your body fluids and travels into your system through the nose, mouth, etc. its gonna be bad.

last summer i went thrifting and got this awesome sweater...it has bell sleeves and it must've taken FOREVER to make b/c it's all different colors everywhere. so it hung in my closet for the eight month long summer (in mississippi, they last that long or longer) then one cold morning i decided to wear it. i never washed it because it had been hanging long enough for the germs to die. but thats the only time i've done that. [​IMG] gosh, i LOVE my sweater!

15. hillbillygal

hillbillygal Member

As soon as I come home from the thrift I head to the washer with my bag o' goodies. Those are usually the only loads of clothes I'm sure to get out of the washer and dryer quickly because I'm excited to go through all the stuff again!

16. Lady of the Freaks

Lady of the Freaks Senior Member

yuck! i'd never heard of this so i googled it and sure 'nuf...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molluscum_contagiosum

but i'm not worried cuz i have to wash my thrift store clothes at least twice with washing soda and hot water to get out the nasty chemical fragrances from the commercial detergents people use. [​IMG]

i guess there are some advantages to being chemically sensitive on occasion.