Thoughts on Digital Art?

Discussion in 'Art' started by ClaireCat, Oct 14, 2018.

1. ClaireCat

ClaireCat Just an Ordinary Girl in an Ordinary World!

All my life I’ve been good at drawing and painting and at a very young age I would draw some pretty impressive art. Then from school I went on to do A level art and then a degree in Art and Art History combined with textile design.
    After that (Not knowing what to do with an art degree and being young and stupid) I decided to then become a nurse! Mehhh
    Anyway over the years I’ve still tried to draw when I could fit it in but sadly my inspiration dwindled away.... That was until last year when I took a year off. I went all out and bought myself a digital art pad and Corel Painter 2018. I ABSOLUTELY love it!!!
    At first being a virgin to digital work I wasn’t sure, but after getting used to it and doing a few failures I got my own style and started creating some amazing pieces! I’m now wanting to re kindle my love for Art and try and go even more all out and buy a better art pad and attempt to sell my work as a sideline!
    So tell me your thoughts on digital art, I’ve only used Corel can anyone recommend any other programs? I also use Wacom to draw on what are your thoughts on those?

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I studied graphic design but never too it up seriously for a career. I used to like messing around with Photoshop. I may get into it again. I want to learn how to make my own gifs. Eventually I intend to make a video or two with animation for my music project. Then just stick 'em up on YouTube for....What the Hell. I think digital art is great but I like the vibration of the human touch. I'm not a huge fan of photo-realism and find some computer graphics very alienating.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I messed with that stuff years ago when it was new.
    Started with MacDraw, which was extremely limited, then Deluxe Paint which was a bitmap program.
    I've lost all the stuff I did.

upload_2018-10-14_17-4-26.jpeg
    Then I used LightWave for awhile to make animations at work in my spare time. The biggest thing I ever did was a running transparent two cycle engine. But that took a $4,000 dollar computer so I couldn't do it at home.
    upload_2018-10-14_17-10-53.jpeg
    A few years ago I played with line drawings using AutoCadd, but they're very time consuming And I got bored.

If you like 3D Blender is a good free program.
    [​IMG]

If you can't afford PhotoShop get Gimp, which is also free.
    [​IMG]

Asmodean likes this.
  4. ClaireCat

ClaireCat Just an Ordinary Girl in an Ordinary World!

Thanks for the advice! I will check out those free programmes to have a play around...

5. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Deviant Art for the win :)

6. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Would you agree
    That Deviant Art is indeed greater than everything else in life? :p

Deidre likes this.
  7. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Lol I see what you did there. ;)

8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I use GIMP, I like it.

I find the interface fairly intuitive and I've never used Digital Art software before. I'm more of a coder so basically, I'll make code designs with this janky javascript framework canvas and then I'll smooth it out and add any intricacies via GIMP.

GIMP seems fairly extensive in it's capabilities but as I said it's the first software of the type I've used.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I find Gimp really complicated, but I find all the programs really complicated tbh. I find even the simplest of tasks to be a mission.

Hence, I make all my crappy work from the good ol' paint program, cropping and pasting things.

10. MeAgain

What paint program?

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Paint

Lol.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Like right now I have a picture and I want to add my name on top of it and a few logos so that I can eventually have it printed on some T Shirts. But I have no idea how to make my name look good on the picture. Like it just doesn't look nice, I don't know how to make it all work and adding a few logos, I don't know how to make the background transparent etc. I've tried watching YouTube but I don't have 28mins to watch stuff. Tbh I don't even have 2mins of interest.

13. MeAgain

Oh. I forgot Windows had a paint program. I had to look for it!

Irminsul likes this.
  14. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

eh, i dunno about digital. i avoid it. i went in for academic advisement yesterday and my professor said he was surprised someone my age was specializing in drawing and not digital. i guess its commercialization, namely through apple and their insane prices, left a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It's not displayed when the program initially loads but they have a tool box on GIMP similar to paint, where you can crop and paste things.

There's also like 30 different preset modes which can auto-stylize your art, then you can easily play with the particular values using a scroll bar.

Perhaps the interface threw you off a bit but it's probably as easy if not easier to use then paint.

16. MeAgain

I just redowned loaded Blender and a copy of LightWave that appears to be free.
    I was playing around with them, but now I'm distracted back into AutoCad...I trying to design a foldable stool cane that I can make for my old age.

17. FrostyPink

FrostyPink Members

I had a Wacom tablet and didn't like it. I thought the idea of digital art would be so cool because I could fix my mistakes and not make such a mess as when I do traditional art. But unfortunately the tablet had several bad drawbacks. The first being that the stylus was not accurate and wouldn't draw where i wanted. In calibrated it perfectly but it wouldn't stop where I wanted it and couldn't handle tiny details. I also couldn't find a good program. I tried Coral and quite a few others but none seemed to have the intuitive qualities I seek. So I sold the tablet, went back to traditional and have been happy with the decision. I commend anyone who can work the digital tools, that takes some skill.

18. I'ma get one of those ones where you draw right on the tablet and it's like, a screen. It's going to be so cool. I'm going to draw a good picture. Everyone will love me and I'll win an award for best drawer.

MeAgain likes this.
  19. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

I have not heard about it at all, so i can't say anything:disappointed:

20. GarnetJade

GarnetJade MissAbstract