thoughts on body odor (anyone agree?)

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by redeyedrevolutionary, Jan 3, 2008.

1. OneLifeForm

OneLifeForm Member

I love my BO smell too. Even if it has been days and gotten rancid :)

The sweat/semen smell from my groinal region after a couple days of not washing smells amazing too.

That probably grosses some out.

2. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

bo is nasty. c'mon now. i've smelled some nasty people in my day. cant believe this is even a topic here.

3. ArmyHippieChick

ArmyHippieChick Member

I'm with you here. I l-o-v-e people's natural scents--men's and women's. It drives me insane sometimes.

As for deodorant, I make my own:

Recipe:
    (Yields just over 1/3 cup)
    ○ 3 Tablespoons shea butter
    ○ 3 Tablespoons baking soda
    ○ 2 Tablespoons corn starch
    ○ 2 Tablespoons cocoa butter
    ○ 2 vitamin E oil gel caps (puncture and squeeze out the oil) -- I used pure vitamin E oil from a bottle instead of the gel caps
    ○ Essential Oil (personal preference)-- I used just a few drops of sandalwood, patchouli and lavender- it's very subtle and smells earthy and clean

I fount the recipe here: http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2008/07/homemade-deodor.html and have been using it for almost two years. I love it.

4. InvisibleLantern

InvisibleLantern Member

I think people definitely respond to the BO smell differently, and not just in a matter of opinion - in a completely physical way. Like the way that nateman and squirrel commented with such distaste - some people are so offended by the smell that I can't imagine it is anything but a real difference in the way that they actually smell it. "Is your blue my blue?" - remember that conversation? :p

I say this because I have only actually smelled BO once or twice in my life. And that includes in sweaty locker rooms, on crowded buses, and shared tents after days of camping. When other people can smell it, I just can't. For some reason my nose spares me certain smells and sweat / BO is one of them. I wear deodorant / antiperspirant because I'm polite, but I wouldn't know the difference if I went without or if anyone else went without either.

5. iadoreyou

iadoreyou Guest

I don't find cologne attractive, or scented deodorant. I think my husband smells best when he hasn't bathed for nearly a week. ..is that gross?

6. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

To the OP: I don't know if it is 'conditioned' to us to not like body odor. To me, honestly, I dislike the smell. I don't dislike it because I was taught to dislike it, but I just don't like it. It reminds me of decomposition which is unpleasant to me. Of course I am talking about sweat and bacterial-induced odor not subtle things like pheromones.

I know that to smell myself in the middle of summer without my clothes on, is gag-inducing. I just don't like the smell of bacteria-induced anaerobic purification.

7. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

etkearne,

We are talking about two different things.
    Few of us get turned on by skank, but on the other hand, there is both pheromones at the subconscious level and fresh musk at the conscious level that can work up a powerful sexual chemistry between a man and a woman.

I remember taking a bus seat next to a woman for a very long ride back to the east.
    We got a nice conversation going and soon I could smell her musk and her body may have been picking up on my pheromones.

Our minds were connecting and our bodies were simultaneously engaged in a mutual attraction feedback loop.

I had places to go and her destination was elsewhere, but otherwise I think we came close to hopping off the bus right then and there to see where this was going.

I am not am impulsive guy, but I have had that level of attraction only a couple of times in my entire life. And I am certain that it was mutual.

The pheromones are nature's way of matching up complementary immune systems.
    Her musk was also nature's way... It was her body's way of saying, "you and I are a match in a big, big way".

If your minds agree with what your bodies are telling you, then go for it!

As I got to my bus stop, she handed me her name and address on a slip of paper.
    I wish I still had it!

8. Celtic Hippie

Celtic Hippie Member

I tend to like natural scent of people. Or at least mine. Even when I'm raunchy it has a unique scent that is somehow pleasing.

My dad is quite allergic to the scent of perfumes, even if you haven't put it on in a day, it's on your clothes & he'll smell it. Though not allergic, I don't really like perfumes either (mainly heavily scented ones).

When I went without my natural deodorant from several months, no one said anything.
    I did happen to take a lot of showers for some of that time though (I was traveling & needed to wash my couple pairs of clothes).
    I only really use deo now if think I kinda smell raunchy (or meeting new people, depending on who). Usually just go without it, and don't smell to bad. Heh, I'd rather just smudge myself with sage or incense then put deo on haha.

Course, I've had friends who smell awful....and those who's smell I love.
    So overall, I like "yer natural scent".

9. PinkFairyTulip

PinkFairyTulip Member

I don't like smelling like perspiration. I usually take a bath once I start smelling sweaty XD;

10. FlipFish

FlipFish Member

BO, especially old/stale BO, repulses me. I honestly can't stand it. Sweat or not having taken a bath for a couple of days isn't so bad, but I still don't like it. I use a deodorant stone too. It works well.

11. renogirl_2

renogirl_2 Wandering Sunflower

Im sorry, but it IS a repulsive smell/ordor!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

Hate it.

13. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

I don't know I personally don't really give a fuck about it, and I had better not because concerts typically smell like body odor, alcohol and weed.

14. Kyrara-Ruxandra

Kyrara-Ruxandra Member

Don't really care about it... I use deodorant, but a natural(as natural as you can get in these parts...) one. I once didn't shower/bathe for a week, due to circumstances, and not one of the people I met told me that I smelled bad. This happened in June last year, and the weather was quite... warm. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that my hair was quite oily at the time, and it looked horrible. Thankfully, that has passed as well.

15. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

I don't like smelling of sweat, but I don't want to use aluminum deo. either.
    Thankfully there are more options now. ;)

16. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

I use baby powder under my arms stops you from sweating

17. liberalryan

liberalryan Guest

Honestly, I really dig the body odor of a woman. Nothing turns me on more than a woman not wearin deo and showing off hairy pits

18. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

In the generations before deodorant, people would simply wash under their arms from time to time during the hotter months. That prevents accumulation of sweat and oils, which can turn very unpleasant in a few hours, but does not destroy the natural fragrance of our bodies.

19. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

I would hope people today would STILL wash under their arms thoroughly with soap and water before putting on any anti-sweating agents. I think there is a difference between "natural fragrance" and body odor. I honestly don't like either, but I don't object to people who find natural fragrances of th body attractive.

But I don't think a single person on earth actually likes the smell of rancid sweat and bacterial accumulation in the axillia.

20. CandiiRainbow

CandiiRainbow Member

my sweat smells like weed.. strong smell if I dont shower.. my friends have asked if I had just smoked or have any on my and explaining that its my sweat can be kinda silly ;)