Thoughts on agorism

Discussion in 'Anarchy' started by Cherea, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

My worldview threads a fine line between libertarianism and anarchism.

By anarchism, I definitely do not mean a hooded vegan teen, dressed in all black, with an angsty Biblical morality, All Stars and skinny jeans, and a much too thin waistline in spite of the ab definition...

I am firmly capitalist. I work out, I work hard, I own nice clothes and things. And, no, you can't have them. I'd rather shoot you with an automatic pistol, than throw stones at you from a backpack. Not black bloc here.

Although I am not a reactionary in the sense that I thumb my nose at tradition, I am definitely not a revolutionary. Meh, molotovs are fine if you can get away with it.

-------------

This brings me to the concept of everyday anarchy. What interests me about anarchy is the immediate, temporary and spontaneous order (even...hierarchy...why not?), direct action, and not falling prey to the tyranny of words, false comforts, and fixed ideas. Including the false comfort of government.

Anarchy to me is not something that will happen after the revolution. It is not utopian. It's something that happens everyday, particularly in the black market.

Let me give a few examples. I can't drive a car for shit. I grew up in New York where teens don't learn such things. Now I live in a Third World city with shitty transportation. I take gypsy cabs to work. They are illegal. Everyday anarchy.

Likewise, my neighborhood, despite not being poor by any stretch of the imagination, lacks sidewalks. I wouldn't dream of getting to work with dirty sneakers on, but I've noticed a lot of my neighbors will take short cuts through the grass until a dirt path is spontaneously created. Then, city government comes and paves those paths over into sidewalks. Everyday anarchy.

From everything I've read about agorism and Samuel Edward Konkin III (Sek3), I see it as a confluence between libertarianism and everyday anarchy in the Max Stirner tradition.

Thoughts?

2. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

A ‘black market’ can be exploitative and corrupting of those in it.

Why are they illegal?

How about a bike?
    Why no sidewalks?

How come the empty areas?

But its city government doing the paving?

3. Zzap

Zzap Member

do you see this problem?

If you are talking about america and other common law settlements if you follow ownership back to its beginning of the settlements you will discover that you are a tenant on the land. While its noble and has a great societal value, how does one get past their need to live somewhere while they can be kicked out of everywhere? Maybe it can creep in but there are heavy hands with huge ears out there. It seems any attempt to implement it would require a massive general education of the sort you only find at harvard and yale to be instilled into a dead brain ibox population. We have long since left the world of few distractions where all people had to think about was how they were being governed while they chopped wood and plowed a field and settled in to a good educational book for entertainment. So while the theory is sound with positive attributes you still have the old money and "interests" that has been in control all along, still in control, and they are not likely to give that up. I would expect unexplained disasters and unprobated terrorist attacks if it ever gains momentum.

4. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

You're thinking in universal, revolutionary, permanent terms.

Precisely the opposite of what I'm interested in...which is the local, individual, improvised, temporary nature of everyday or practical anarchy.

5. Zzap

Zzap Member

that makes no sense

there is no way to do that with that hodge podge, want to be more specific?

6. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Read my first post, if you're interested.

7. sunshine186

sunshine186 midnight toker

:D

do you mean like doing little shit that sticks it to the man, as opposed to all out upheaval of the system?

8. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

It really isn't about the man. It's about me. But you're basically on the same page.

9. Zzap

Zzap Member

yeh but I wont pretend to be a mind reader and attempt to discuss what goes on in your head moment to moment which appears to be what you want to talk about. Its not clear what we are supposed to be discussing imo .

10. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I said read the post, not my mind. If you're interested.

11. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Didn't read the thread title correctly.

13. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Me? I was addressing content in the first post. Showing there's a place in the world where currently anarchism is in place.

OP:
    "My worldview threads a fine line between libertarianism and anarchism. "

-------------

"This brings me to the concept of everyday anarchy. What interests me about anarchy is the immediate, temporary and spontaneous order (even...hierarchy...why not?), direct action, and not falling prey to the tyranny of words, false comforts, and fixed ideas. Including the false comfort of government."

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Huh? What?
    I thought it said orgasm okay.

15. What a reminder of what a pain in the ass Zzap was.

16. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Hahahahaha classic Freudian slip.