Thoughts concerning Exodus & Nile

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Deleted member 309843, Apr 29, 2020.

1. I was now reading through the Second Book of Moses
    of how I AM THAT I AM spoke to Moses at Horeb

Moses was concerned that the Israelites may not be prepared to believe when he says that "God of Abraham, and Issac, and Jacob has spoken to me"

God would do signs through Moses. the Third sign, if that hadn't believed the first two, would be that the Nile, when poured from his hand, would turn to blod

I say that it seems, from a historical context, to be right on nailhead Perhaps not the act itself, as the implications of the act

for the Nile was deified as represented Osiris
    or, rather, Osiris personfied the river
    so is a vivid manifestation of the Jehovah's might
    and may be considered as the prevalence of Jehovah
    over the Egyptian god in battle

and that Nile, alike to the Israelites & Egyptians, was the source of abundant seed-bounty in the land
    they all required it's flood to survive
    and blood will not grow barley & corn

thoughts not of much import

Almathea likes this.
  2. an angel of the lord
    through a burning bush

god of his forefathers to come down, divine interventions. after seeing the afflictions and hearing the crys of her enslaved peoples.

moses asked "who am i to go to pharoah and lead the israelites to freedom?" this is a natural shrinking for such an awesome task. after all he is a fugitive and perhaps recalled when even his own kinsmen questioned his authority.

I am who am
    Yahweh

adonai "my lord."

I AM sent me to you.

"This is my name forever;
    this is my title for all generations."

I am concerned about you and about the way you are being treated in Egypt; so I have decided to lead you up out of the misery of Egypt into the land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amotites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites....

20200425_224237.jpg

the staff made of what wood?

his hand in his cloak made of what material?

the call to return where?

aaron, what was their brotherly relations like?

the nile flows into what sea?

Attached Files:

3. also remember this land was not Egypt but KMT kemet, kemut. however you may say it.

4. [​IMG]

also perhaps the 'political pharoah' of the time with a claim to the gods may have fallen from spiritual grace. still ruling how a monkey(human) subject to human(monkey) emotions with an infallible rule. could perhaps exploit peoples or stray from perfection in some ways or others.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the red sea boatmen were in support of the monotheist refugees and ferried them across, remaining with their boats on the other side, when the pharaoh's army attempted to follow.

Almathea and Nitocris like this.
  6. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

The Bible was barrowed from earlier texts to fit the belief system of those that wrote it . I don't think a lot of it is historical accurate.

7. except a lot of it historically accurate
    those tribes existed those places existed those wars likely happened
    Just remove the theological framework

I really like themnax's response

it is the history book of the Hebrew tribe
    monotheists living in an entirely polytheistic pagan world. Of course they drew inspiration from other cultures around them. Abraham was from Ur of the Chaldeans, a city in Mesopotamia. Likely he grew up pagan before his wandering to Egypt.

8. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

This is a little hard to follow. Are you saying that the "historical context" is the fact that Osiris represented the Nile? That's true, and an historical fact. There is even some historical support. The Ipuwer Papyrus from the twelfth century reported "the river is blood', in an account of turmoil. It's unlikely though it was referring to real blood. Red silt periodically turns the Nile red, as it did recently.
    Book of Exodus Comes Alive as Photos Emerge of Blood-Red Nile
    Satellite image of red River Nile evokes biblical legend
    And the phenomenon of red tide is caused by harmful algae blooms. Of course, these are not literally "blood" but they may have been perceived to be. This happens in other places too. Plague of Blood Red Rivers Suddenly Appears in Multiple Locations
    If you're willing to settle for hyperbole and metaphor, there may be some truth to the acccount in Exodus. What is historically questionable is that Moses was real and that God turned the Nile into real blood.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  9. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

In the opening section of the Egyptian Book of the Celestial Cow, The sun god Re uses the phrase "I am that I am" ywy ymy referring to himself. (Erc Hornung,Der Aegypiiche Mthos von der Himmelscuh, p. 125; Currid, Against the Gods, p. 100. In the tomb of Seti I, sometimes thought to be the Pharaoh who "knew not Joseph" Seti I and the Bible – Amazing Bible Timeline with World History, Seti takes on the title ywy ymy for himself. Curran, p. 105. Pharaoh was thought to be the personification of Re. There is also a reference in a topographical list, dating from the reign of Amenhotep III, to "the land of the Shasu-yhw. The Shasu were the Egyptian term for Semitic pastoral nomads from the southern Levant and Yhw may designate the particular group who followed the god yhw (Midianites?) The God who revealed His name to Moses in a burning bush on Mount Horeb (aka, Mount Sinai) called himself YHWH, which supposedly stands for the Hebrew Ehyeh asher Eyeh: "I am that I am." According to Karel van der Toorn (1996), "by the 14th century BC, before the cult of Yahweh had reached Israel, groups of Edomites and Midianites worshipped Yahweh as their god."Family Religion in Babylonia, Ugarit, and Israel p. 283.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020