This will probably sound just awful

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Bellfire01, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Bellfire01

Bellfire01 I'll say anything

I like the things that seperate us from the men. I don't need for us to be equal. I'm glad we don't think, feel, dress, or act the same. I don't want guys to wear earrings and makeup. I don't need to be as strong as a man. (We are already as smart or smarter so why be gready lol.) I set the sisterhood back a notch but that's my opinon.

2. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

Why does equality translate to sameness in your mind?

I don't want to be the same as anyone, muchless like a man (nothing against men, but I enjoy that which makes me feminine, not masculine). But I sure as hell expect to be treated as an equal. My fiance cooks better than I do, while I am better with the yardwork -- it is our separate strengths which make us a good team, and the tasks are quite different yet valued as equal contributions (well, ok, weekly lawn maintenance is not an equal contribution compared to daily cooking, but imagine I had come up with better examples :)).

Equal opportunity is important. That does not mean equal results. Physiologically, the average man has more upper body strength, etc. than the average woman -- gotta love sexual dimorphism. But, there is a large degree of overlap, with some men being physically weaker than the average woman and some women being physically stronger than the average man. Yes, women should have the option of competing for any job without discrimination, but no, the bar should not be lowered to make it easier for women to get in. I'm thinking of jobs like being a fire fighter, where the person's ability to carry a 200 pound person out of a burning building may make the difference between life and death. Some women can handle that, but I sure as hell don't have the physical ability to do so. We should be judged on ability, not our sex.

3. Green

Green Iconoclastic

Gender roles are stupid society fabricated instruments of division and oppression.

We are equal, even if we aren't equal, we are equal. Just because someone is dumber than you doesn't mean their opinion is worth any less than yours.

4. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

what people seem to get wrong about equality is that there are two kinds

there is equality whcih suggests that everyone should recive the same, that is, if you have a cow and a cat, and at feeding time you give them both meat, even though cows dont eat meat

The other type of equallity is where you have a cow and a cat, and you give each a meal, the cat gets what it needs, that is a small portion of meat, and the cow gets what it neads, that is a large portion of grain feed and grass.

Both the cow and the cat are then satisfied and nither has too little or too much.

5. Bellfire01

Separate but equal never works. You want to be equal but we don't have equality in all situations. For instance: Do you want to be drafted? If we were equal then that could very well happen. When your car breaks down do you want to be left out there? If you were a guy chances are you'd still be standing there. I ask you what do you mean by treated as equal? I agree that we should be treated fairly but I restate that I don't want to be equal. Equality means the same in my book and that's not gonna happen. I understand the same job for the same pay but there is just no way to measure everyone's worth on a scale. Ladies give birth. Men to this date can't do this. There are men that stay at home and raise a family and he's considered lazy and not ambitious but a lady is almost directed to stay at home like that's her only function in life. Ladies that boss are called names and men that boss are respected. Did you ever stop to think why that is? It's because some ladies don't like ladies to be boss and some men feel the same way. If it were just a guy thing then it wouldn't have held us down so long. I vote for fairly but I don't want everything. Ladies that want to do for themselves are great. I'm like that to a point but I love having men around for the things I don't want to fret. Independence doesn't have to mean alone. We all have functions that keep us useful. I'm not saying that ladies shouldn't stride for the best or do I think that there is any job that a man can do that a lady can't. I'm just saying I hate that I don't need a man I can do it all by myself crap. That's just my opinion.

6. Bellfire01

Wow you actually put it better than me.

7. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

Well..

I will never be drafted. Why? Because I seriously doubt there will ever been another American Draft, and besides, i am not American... easy way to solve that problem.

I have been the boss... never had a real problem. Only problem was with one employee who just plain disliked me, but not because i was his boss. I got paid as much as my male counterparts, and if I didn't get the same treatment I asked why and the situation was quickly fixed.

I am currently 7 months pregnant... no one is pressuring me to stay home with the child. My husband will be staying home with the child. He is better at that kinda stuff (cleaning, cooking, etc) than i am, and although i have more direct baby expreriance, I will be able to pass on what he needs to know in the couple of months I will stay home to recuperate.

I am independant. Independant from the world as a whole, but that doesn't mean that I don't rely on my husband for things. Why is that? We are a family, we are a couple, we are soon to be parents... that ties us together and makes us stronger than we could ever be on our own. But, beyond my husband? Yes... very independant.

While you hate all that "I can do it by myself" crap, I happen to find it very rewarding. My Grandmother, while married to my Grandfather, was able to do a hell of a lot more on the farm by herself than most women would even consider trying. She was strong mentally, physically and emotionally.... she kicked ass in a time when most women couldn't even light their own damned cigarette.

But as you said... to each his own. I have no problem with a man opening a door for me... but I do have a problem with him assuming that i don't know how to change a flat tire. I might let him change the tire for me... but that is only if he is aware that I could, very well do it myself if he wasn't around.

I hate the thought of having to rely on random men to get by. My husband I will rely on for certain things.. but that is it. The men in my life haven't always been that reliable, which is probably why I feel this way.

8. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

Actually there are cultures where men also wear earings and shiny clothing and they are not considered feminine traits (The only place I saw this "pink" being feminine color is in the west), but anyway, thats another matter entirely, I do agree with you that yes , men and women both are different and they should be respected for who they are,yet do we think alike or not? I think that depends mostly on personal opinion anyway.

9. Brand New Soul

Brand New Soul Senior Member

Theres a difference between indaviduality and equality.