This week I've learnt to play...

Discussion in 'UK Music Forum' started by fountains of nay, May 23, 2007.

1. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Recently I have been picking up my instruments again and learning some new tunes.
    So what about you guys? Have you been learning to play any new tunes and if so, what and on what instrument?

over the past 2 weeks I've learnt:

"Down in a Hole" {Alice in Chains} on guitar
    "Money" [Pink Floyd] on bass

and I've relearnt "Lotus Talk" [Colin Can't remember his last name] on flute.

2. fountains of nay

Where's Trombone bleu? He's a musically talented dude!

3. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

thats great nay :) ......when am out in the countryside i like to play flute:)

4. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

I've been learning a Edith Piaf song for about three weeks now! Progress is slow, there's chords in there I've not seen before. The song is 'Je N'en Connais Pas La Fin', Jeff Buckley covered it on his 'Live A L'Olympia' album.

That's been about it on the guitar. I learned the Bernard Butler song 'Stay' a couple months back. Been trying to learn some stuff on the harmonica recently. That 'I wish I was in Dixie' song being one.

5. fountains of nay

Oh Oh OH! I love my harmonica...I'm not very good, but I like to play pirate shanties on it! :D

6. fountains of nay

:)

A wooden flute or the other one?

What sort of things do you like to play?

7. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

I been using my akai samplers and an old roland synth - oh and a roland emulator and have learned the beginning to "hey boy hey girl" by the chemical brothers. Also sampled my own drums for it by tapping a piece of two by 4 wood and recoreded it with a HD recorder

Also have learned ride of the valkyrie on the spoons and a triangle

8. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

wooden nay .......just play what my spirit plays just go with the flow :)

9. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

Learnt to play the bongos.

10. fountains of nay

Bongos are fun :)
    I was at a party over the weekend and forgot to bring a guitar, so we just had bongos and voices, so we ended up singing along to advert jingles.:D

11. moonhawk

moonhawk Member

Over the last 3 weeks I've been learning 'Under the Bridge' by Red hot chilli peppers on guitar. I have also been learning 'Spatter the mud' on mandolin, a song I doubt anyone has heard of, is olde Irish tune!

12. fountains of nay

This week I've been playing lots of metallica, alice in chains etc.
    I've been asked to start jamming with my mates who love METAL!!!

13. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

My friend Gormy showed me 'Pin' by Yeah Yeah Yeahs t'other day. Pretty simple, but it's a great song and rather fun to play.

14. fountains of nay

Just worked out "Hollow" by Pantera, which is pretty exciting because I can play along with ym friend now :)

15. shirley

shirley Member

Anyone play the accordion? Apparently we have one in the loft but i'm not going near it till i have some basic instructions or i'll break it. Any good websites around? Is it easy to start to learn?

16. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

It doesn't look it does it? :)

I played a mini accordian a friend had once or twice, it maybe had 15 keys. The tricky part for me was just keeping the air going through. And I reckon that kind of technique will only improve with practice at it.

I think you'll be alright. I imagine you'll be pretty gentle with it when you first pick it up, so you'll get a gage for what kinda stick it can take.

Haven't a clue what those buttons do. Not even sure if the one I played had them! But I'd say just get a feel for it for starters. How to sit with it, where your hands go and whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx_yTGQB1nQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl566VsahPM

Looking at those, the buttons look like chords, and the piano bit is like a lead part to play over the top. Best guess anyway :)