This upset me!

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Candy Gal, Nov 28, 2020.

1. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

As one who remembers both the subtle and obvious racism of the 60's I can say that the accepted norm has significantly changed. - This seems occurred (IMO): -
    The immigranted families (of both Colour and creed) have increased their number within the population and through both Protest and Education, the majority of peoples (of all Colour Creed ) have a different mind-set and tolerance of acceptance.
    Things have certainly changed within my lifetime - though eradication; I fear, will not disappear until after my lifetime.

2. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

Wolfy, I once came back from holiday when I was at school. I was always very popular at school.
    I came back and everyone was waving saying they saved me a place next to them.
    At the back sat a new girl. Yep, she was all alone, she was black. So I went and sat next to her.
    The looks I got would make you shudder. BUT even as a small child, I could NOT abide racism.

DrRainbow and Mysteron like this.
  3. WOLF ANGEL

100 Hundred year acccording to this Musical observation from ..... 1970 !

DrRainbow, Mysteron and Candy Gal like this.
  4. Candy Gal

yEP i KNOW THAT SONG

DrRainbow and Mysteron like this.
  5. WOLF ANGEL

I had /have a number of friends 'of colour' (Black-both African and West Indian, Asian and Mediterranean descent) - I experienced predjudice first hand and got into several scapes when younger for standinding up to such bigotory - BUT - have No regrets
    The above song - along with Bob and Marcia's "Young, Gifted and Black": were more than melodic tunes - there was message in the them - over a half century later, and still, 'the beat goes on' - but persistance, is never futile.

6. Candy Gal

I really respect you, Wolfy.
    If only a few more could feel the same way.
    I highlighted this news as I really wanted some to read how I feel!

mysticblu21, DrRainbow and Mysteron like this.
  7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The media never seem to bother about context and end up creating a divide.

The UK is fairly well known for racial harmony, but their are areas where groups of black youths get heavily involved in drugs and the street robberies to fund them.
    It is not unknown for a police shift to come on duty in these areas, to find that all of the 10 or so attacks on the previous day were carried out by these gangs.
    Then when the police spend their shift stopping black youths, many of them with past records of physical violence, along come the media and accuse them of racial discrimination. It is a catch 22 situation.

In reality, it is often the parents of these gang members who are campaigning the police to act before their teenage children end up getting stabbed by rival gangs.

Fortunately, this sort of thing is only confined to a few small areas in the UK.
    The US media give us the impression that it is far worse in north America, but I do not believe everything that I read or see on the news is representative of your country.

Grand prix and Candy Gal like this.
  8. oldguynurse

oldguynurse Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Grand prix, such as that case is a damn shame. I've known several police officers, one now retired and is one of my best friends. We've talked about this stuff. He was a Field Training Sargent and would not tolerate any such crap. There are numerous decent, fair and upright officers who resist any urge to retaliate even when abused by someone. But there will always be some who use the uniform and badge as a masquerade costume for their domination urges. Thankfully, they are in the minority, as hopefully the now increasingly widespread use of body cameras will show.

But while twenty unremarkable arrests will offset one of the bad ones, unfortunately, the news media are not interested in unremarkable, no visual excitement value there, no ratings value, can't sell commercial time! Here in the US there was for several years a series named, "Cops" that was simply showing different incidents and arrests in places around the country. Apparently it was too boring, 'cause it's now off the air.

But I'm gonna keep hoping for the best, that right will win out over wrong. BTW, I'm a"behaviorist", I deal with folks as they behave with others. Simple, easy.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Grand prix, Candy Gal and wilsjane like this.
  9. wilsjane

I find this all very confusing.
    First we have a report of police dismantling camps of homeless people in the street, then we have the video of 3 officers allegedly beating a guy up inside his own premises for no reason and when he is not involved fighting with them. I do not think that we are seeing the full picture and I question the electrical flashes seen on the video.
    It is a pity that we do not have an HF member living in Paris to tell us the full and real story.

Candy Gal likes this.
  10. Dracula69

Dracula69 Members

I pray for all.

Candy Gal, mysticblu21 and soulpoker like this.
  11. Candy Gal

It was the video of the guy on his own premises, that upset me most.
    The camp scenario is ongoing.

wilsjane likes this.
  12. wilsjane

That was what looked so odd to me, why were the police there in the first place and why was their an ongoing fight, I can not imagine that it all happened while he was trying to talk to them. The electrical explosions seemed totally odd to me, making me wonder whether he was deliberately engaging the police while things were being destroyed.... Had the guy threated to set fire to the building.????
    We may just be seeing a snippet of a very complex situation.
    However the police restraint methods completely baffled Christina when I asked her to take a look. Her immediate reaction was that it would have been the fastest method of loosing their job in the UK.
    I doubt that we will ever know the full truth.

Candy Gal likes this.
  13. Candy Gal

Oh, I better link the rest of the story.
    Did you not see it on TV?

wilsjane likes this.
  14. Candy Gal

Outrage in France after police are filmed savagely beating a black music producer 'while hurling racist slurs' after they accused him of not wearing a face mask
    • Criminal inquiry was launched following attack on Michel in Paris on Saturday
    • Michel said he was repeatedly called a 'dirty n*****' during his 13-minute ordeal
    • Police arrested Michel for not wearing face mask and he faced charges of assault
    • But these were reversed when shocking footage of the attack later emerged

Police originally arrested Michel for not wearing a coronavirus face mask, and he faced assault charges.

Michel spent 48 hours in police custody before doctors were able to examine.

He suffered a torn tendon and a gash on his head that needed to be secured by two staples, among other wounds.

French police are filmed savagely beating a black music producer 'while hurling racist slurs' | Daily Mail Online

The photos are on that link

15. wilsjane

Why would I watch the idiots lantern, when I could be chatting to you on HF. :):):)

PS, My late mother would not allow idiots lanterns in the house, so now you know how I became a nutty professor. It was all her fault.!!!!!

Candy Gal likes this.
  16. Candy Gal

You big softy. xxxx

wilsjane likes this.
  17. WOLF ANGEL

Media coverage can often be a 'Headline' Picture not a story - the best way to know is to see and/or have first-hand truth by trusted sources.
    The French / Police do have history in the manner that they put down any kind of public dis-order and sadly not suprising.
    I had first hand experience of seeng such.
    Whilst away on a school trip (circa1975) seeing the treatment given to vendors 'street selling' was far more than over the top - it was barbaric - crushing wares and severe baton beating - times really need to change

Candy Gal likes this.
  18. Candy Gal

OMG!

19. WOLF ANGEL

Just goes to show, whilst the 'BritIsh Bobby' is not always as steadfast and reliable as 'George Dixon' was, = still a lot more preferrable to other Countries

Candy Gal likes this.
  20. Candy Gal

That is true.
    I have witnessed some awful things in Spain.