This ones for shale and all you other old hippies!

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by Dirtyhippycommiebastard, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Dirtyhippycommiebastard

Dirtyhippycommiebastard Member

You guys REALLY know what this song is about!

[ame]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1npfYRQR3io

Hope you don't mind if i use the pic Shale.It just goes so great with the video.

[​IMG]

2. Shale

Shale ~

No, that's fine. In fact there is a lot of history in the foto. It was while researching the second Atlanta Pop Festival that I came across this site.

That was my first VW bug and after we made it to Byron GA, it carried me and Myke, the girl in the pic to San Francisco, and explored California Big Sur.

In relation to the times, that cut off shirt I am wearing is one of my old uniform fatigues from the Air Force, which I left just three years earlier. I missed going to Nam and did my obligated military service in less hellish places.

I'm just thankful that my Dad's third wife was into taking pics of freaky ppl so I can see that moment today. Yeah, our hair was considered long in Mississippi where the pic was taken and where the four of us were crashing for the nite at my dad's farm en route to the festival.

We were such a curiousity to the locals. It was kinda funny meeting one of the farmer friends of my dad. Gary the guy sitting on the the VW asked for a cigarette. The farmer thot it would be smart to hand Gary a can of Prince Albert and some rolling papers. He couldn't believe that Gary actually rolled a cig with no problem. :p

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

the guy beside you looks like Jon Byner

4. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Awesome pic. :2thumbsup: Hey, Shale - did you guys make it to Woodstock in '69? What was the vibe before it became such a huge part of our culture? Man, I've only seen the movie. Born too late, etc. Have you written anything about Woodstock in your journal/blog? I'd love to read some of your thoughts. You really do have such a way with words. :)

QP

5. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Oh, and that car is the coolest. ;)

QP

6. Telepath

Telepath Banned

It's so great to have someone who was alive in that time! TO share their great memories with us.
    Just wonderful.
    Have a good day.

7. Shale

Shale ~

Nope! I was a cop in '69. :bobby:

I was in the process of dropping out and 1970 is the year. Dec '69 I was still a cop. Jan '70 I was hangin' in crash pads and coffee houses in the French Quarter, taking trips with my new friends, smoking dope and discovering so much. It was Ron, Gary and Myke (in the foto) who were living uptown in N.O. and told me about the Pop Festival, which they said was a gathering of the tribes. So we decided to crash it. (did anyone buy tickets to those things?)

Now the Atlanta Festival was very much like Woodstock. On the way out West Myke and I took in the movie Woodstock which was playing in July '70. It looked identical. Skinny dipping in a stream, selling bags of dope in front of the deputies who were vastly outnumbered, tripping in the woods, ppl fucking all around - who cared? It even rained on us and was a bit cold for July 4. I think our festival was a bit smaller than Woodstock but we had a very similar experience.

8. Dirtyhippycommiebastard

Do you have more pics like this?

9. Dirtyhippycommiebastard

I figured "The Hippie Highway" is something you oldtimers would know all about!Do you still talk to that girl Myke? She's pretty!

10. Shale

Shale ~

Not since 1970. I left her in San Francisco and hitched back to New Orleans alone.

She would be about 60 now.

11. Dirtyhippycommiebastard

Have you ever thought of looking her or any of the others up?

12. Shale

Shale ~

Wouldn't know where to begin. A lot of us didn't have last names then. In fact some of the first names were as real as what you now find on forum boards. :p

13. skip

skip Founder Administrator

14. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

Maybe corny- but hate the war/ and the politics that put us there-you can even hate the song- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXegv40ZFGw"]YouTube - Tribute to our Vietnam Veterans "That Black Wall" (Original Song)
    but >>
    Dont hate the warrior- -happy veterans day to you guys( you know who you are)

jjack
    Spec4/ Mad Medic
    154th Medical Detachment
    170th AHC"Bikinis"- 52nd CAB
    Pleiku/Camp Holloway/1969-70

15. Shale

Shale ~

Hey Jack, I wasn't part of Nam - worked mostly in an office for my four year tour in the AF spying on the Soviets.
    http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=413055&f=22

16. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

Your lucky my friend Shale- - - you got 6 yrs on me- you wouldve been in the first wave- with Special Ops-

MUCHrespect,
    jack