This Is Why We Need More Fat Shaming

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Fueled by Coffee, Mar 14, 2017.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Yeah you're right. There is no obesity epidemic. Fat people are a minority. An oppressed minority. One that needs safe spaces from straight white males. And "sizeist" patriarchal scum of the Earth!

[​IMG]

We can all learn from Trigglypuff

2. 6-eyed shaman

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they removed the mirrors and replaced them with signs that read "Don't worry, you look great!"

3. 6-eyed shaman

http://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

What's bullshit about it? Are you saying there is no obesity problem in the United States? One of the few countries on earth where the even the poor are capable of being morbidly overweight. Next I'll be hearing that GMO crops are good for us, even though you have to wear a hazmat suit to farm that stuff.

Slim beautiful people like you have been bullied by body positivity activists for the last few years. So it doesn't surprise me you feel like a victim.

4. 6-eyed shaman

Those anti smoking PSAs contained elements of both: shaming and education. The media for much of the 80s and 90s ridiculed and shamed smokers in those PSAs and totally disregarded the feelings of habitual smokers. Smoker shaming worked. Why can't fat shaming?

5. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

I'm not fat and I don't work out or eat anything except fast food and TV dinners. I too need a safe space.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Lol OP is as nuanced as ever.

No, we do not have to sugarcoat things for too overweight people. No, shaming fat people in general simply for looking obese is not gonna get you the results you want (unless you want more depressed people and deconstructive antagonizing).

7. Asmodean

Sometimes it appears as if everytime you notice something regarding minorities something snaps in your brain.

1 person likes this.
  8. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Perhaps the ones who should be shamed are fast food retail outlets, supermarkets that sell sugar or trans fat laden foods. Maybe sugary foods should have plain packaging like tobacco here in Britain with nasty pictures or slogans of the results of obesity printed on.

9. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I am sick of fat people trying to justify their illness. It's one thing to be fat, but don't try to act like it's something to be proud of.

10. Asmodean

I'm beginning to doubt that added sugar on itself is a problem. It is not poison. It is just too much. If a person would eat froot loops, go eat hamburger with half a liter of sugary coke in the right amount (as in with the right amount of energy used) they might not become overweight at all. So it is not the added sugar that deserves messages like consuming this might cost you your arm, it is the amount of it after all. If you move not enough you simply can eat less sugar and stuff before growing in size. Some researchers broke the deal to me in a doc that once ingested the human body breaks it all down to the same thing, wether it is the natural sugar from an apple, banana etc. or the added sugar in certain processed foods. The amounts of sugar (and salt!) should be printed bigger on the packaging! Not some filthy pics of unfortunate unhealthy people.

11. Asmodean

Do you come across these people often? I don't. But I do see fat people a lot too.

12. Pressed_Rat

Not really, but there seems to be a lot of these fat acceptance people online. Usually SJW's, of course.

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

They are. In fact there are movies about them being evil. Yet some people still have a majority of their meals from them.

14. buddhabelly420

buddhabelly420 Banned

the word fat shaming is one that I totally hate. it implies some sort or lesser quality or that the person is a lesser human for being overweight. if it was someone you really carried for and really loved then you would express concern. if you wanna talk about the epidemic of obesity then i suggested we look at 1. Why is that person fat or overweight. 2. what can be done to improve that person health. education is what is needed not shamming. if your going to talk about America and the issue of fat people then I suggested instead of getting angry about the word triggering you actually look at the problem. i promise you the issues is nothing to do with some student in a college being or claiming it was triggering. fat shaming has nothing to do with telling someone you love they are fat. and everything do do with being an nasty asshole

4 people like this.
  15. Pressed_Rat

Sugar is not a problem unless it's consumed in excess of one's total daily energy expenditure. The thing is, with sugar being in so many things, it's easy for the calories to add up if you just sit on your ass and watch TV all day. If you're an endurance athlete, sugar is like fuel. If you're sedentary, it's just calories that add up very quickly because they're not being burned off. I would agree sugar is not poison, but most people would benefit greatly without it altogether.

16. Asmodean

So the amount of sugar, salt and fat should be printed bigger and clear on the packaging. I think it would be great if that becomes an obligation in the food industry.

Online everything seems more crazy and extreme.

17. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So, where do I sign up for the class action lawsuit against fast food.

I would be staying in a homeless camp if I said this.

18. Asmodean

It is actually not the dress that makes her look fat in the first place :p

19. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I know.

Not really.

Yes they are.

Certainly. And every time one of them says, "I'm fat and I'm okay with it, and you should be too," we attempt to oppress them further.

Um...sure. Good luck with that.

20. Asmodean

There's a difference between being fat as in just a pound of 10 overweight and being obese. Just like there is a difference in how some people become fat.

The ones that are ok with it and verbal about that are probably not sickening obese, having a miserable future to look forward to because of increasingly growing health problems. That these obese people might be a minority if we look at the complete population is not really an issue, except to people who get a bit crazy about minorities in the first place (for no good reason :p)