this is so wrong

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Sugar Magnolia, May 13, 2004.

1. turtlefriend

turtlefriend Member

Ok, those of you who advocate freeing domestic dogs and cats who don't have homes either have no idea about what this does to the environment or don't care.

In Florida, freeing pets like Iguanas and Monk parakeets has become so common that they have become a new wild species in the state, throwing off the balance of nature and making it harder for the original species to survive. If you don't believe me, look up info on the Seca deer in Maryland, or the moongose of Hawaii.

On no-kill shelters...Not ALL of them are bad. Some really do a great job at taking care of their animals, have loads of volunteers to give them exercize and stimulation while they are there. On the other end of the scale, you have the ones where animals live in cell blocks year after year. Dogs are very social animals. What would it be like for them to go day after day in solitary confinement, because someone considered it more "humane"?

I do think the kill rate of our shelters are apalling. Most people in europe, I'm told, don't neuter their pets and don't have a pet overpopulation problem at all. The big problem is that people simply don't care about their animals. I read a Dog Fancy article on the problem. One shelter worker said that while spaying in neutering is something that must be done to limit unwanted puppies and kittens, the little cute ones go like hotcakes anyway. Many of the dogs that get dropped off are healthy, two-year-old animals who simply aren't babies any more. It's a society problem - all you can do is spread one's message of love and compassion of animals around, and hope someone picks up the message. And adopt one of your own, of course.

2. nohelmetlaws

nohelmetlaws Banned

I don't agree with putting animals to sleep for lack of room however, It costs a great amount of money to keep those animals alive until someone adopts them. If you are really concerned about the animals in shelters donate money, dog or cat food or anything that the shelter could use.