This insomnia

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Not sure what is causing this, but it seems to go in cycles. I will have a few weeks or months where I sleep fairly decent (at least for somebody who sleeps during the day), then after a period of time I will develop this insomnia that lasts for a few weeks, sometimes a month or more. I got about four hours of sleep total yesterday, with those four hours split into twos. I dragged my ass at work for part of the night, but managed to get by on coffee. By the second half of the night I got something of a second wind, and even found the energy to do my 20 minute interval training on the exercise bike at work. I was feeling pretty drained after I left work, but it wasn't anything worse than I had felt before, after getting only a few hours sleep. Still, I thought for certain that I would crash as soon as I got home. But instead of going straight to bed, I stayed up to do some wash, take a shower, and use the internet for a little bit. I went to bed at around 10 and managed to fall asleep fairly quickly, only to awake two hours later. I have been awake since 12 and haven't been able to fall back to sleep, so I am writing this to talk about how I can't sleep.

What's the least amount of sleep you've received over a period of several days? Did you eventually crash, and how long did it take to crash after the lack of sleep?

2. Sig

Sig Senior Member

During the invasion of Iraq there was a stretch where I got, maybe, 8 hours of real sleep over an almost 72 hour period. That fucking blew, especially at night when it was my turn at the perimeter of wherever it was we stopped. That was the worst stretch, from what I remember. For the remainder I don't remember it being quite that bad, though sleep was had in short intervals (maybe an hour or two at a time) throughout a 24 hour period.

3. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

try drinking a couple beers to help you sleep

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

My pattern is to occasionally stay up about 38-42 hours and then sleep a long time *10 or 12 hours*...and I lay down at that point because I know if I don't I will fall asleep standing up if necessary... and I do not try to stay up that long, but sometimes when I am feeling nice and don't feel like sleeping when I normally sleep I miss my chance and have obligations that I need to be awake for and don't get my next chance til about hour 40.... it sucks.

5. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

My pattern is to sleep about 4 hours daily. When being really conscientious about sleeping I can sometimes work up to 5.

I do go in phases where I am sleeping even less and they tend to last for weeks. Then exhaustion takes over and I finally manage to sleep for a slightly longer period of time, probably closer to 6 hours for one day only. Then it is back to the start again.

I am not really happy with the sleep issues I have but after years of trying to change them I have instead tried to accept them.

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

here is your problem :coffee:

I dont drink that shit: stay up long hours, work, nap, stay up long hours, party work party work. I just dont fuck with the caffeine.

If I have insomnia , I use it to my advantage. have sex, do some work around the house, get high, play with the hippies.

7. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

yep, all that caffeine, not so good for insomnia.

check out "Curing Insomnia Naturally with Chinese Medicine" by bob flaws

staying away from spicy foods might help too

8. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I have insomnia most nights during the week, because I think about work that day and how I'm gonna kill it the next day. Commission is seriously bad for the mind..

But lately I've been saying fuck it. Telling my boss I'm leaving around 5 instead of 7, and just not worrying.

I would say worries and anxieties are the root causes of insomnia, outside of drugs. But in a good state of mind, caffeine won't affect a person like that. So my advice is figure out how to get your mind right, and keep riding it out in the meantime.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

it just your mid-life crisis

slowly realizing you will never be anything is awful depressing :)

10. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Giving up coffee improved my sleep patterns. There are probably some trendy alternative groups out there saying that coffee should be consumed in large quantities to improve sleep. For me it doesn't work. For being alert and sleeping well, I use those green leafy supplements such as Perfect Food. It makes my mind feel mentally awake and alert, whereas caffeine was more like a physical stimulant that kept me physically awake but not mentally alert.

Doing aerobic activity during the day such as running always makes me sleep well. Yoga and relaxation techniques are helpful also. Having a regular schedule is good too.

I mentioned in the 'bondage' thread (no, not that kind of bondage) how good it feels to be with one's lover. Making passionate love makes me feel like I've slept a deep peaceful 12 hour sleep when it was only 6 hours. Some people get the same effect from yoga. Making love with my boyfriend makes me sleep so well. The Mama Nature made us to fall deeply asleep while embraced and inside each other after a vigorous love session to promote reproduction. She knows what is good for us and made us this way.

11. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Well one does not just invade a country and sleep well!

12. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

Cycles analysis is a big topic. I'm doing some at the moment.
    So yes, I'd say that your sleep patterns are related to cycles. Weather, time since you had a holiday/ break. Could be related to exercise and overtraining etc. What your nutrition is like. Why don't you record stuff in a journal, or much better, with software that does charts?

Longest I went without sleep? Probably with a holiday and the flight times were stupid. I was a bit like a zombie - lights on no-one home. And I notice your neck just gives up supporting your head. Even tho you are aware, but dazed. A bit like being punched by Mike Tyson, just slowed down a bit..

13. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Well, to be honest, when I did sleep I slept like a rock. It was mainly a lack of opportunity to sleep that kept me up.

14. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

And this is coming from a person who probably hasn't seen their own dick in about ten years, much less a vagina that isn't made out of rubber.

15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

why are you so obsessed about my penis?..

i've told you a hundred times im heterosexual.

16. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Lots of people make changes and realize dreams in mid-life. Not always easy though.

Besides that, you don't have to be a super star to have a meaningful life. There's lots of famous and rich people who are miserable btw.

I'm sure BBAD has seen his dick and vaginas not made of rubber many times.

I bet he could get laid too if he put some effort into it.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Do you work third shift? I know working third shift can seriously mess up your sleep cycles as it is. Your body naturally wants to produce melatonin at night and not during the day when you need to sleep.

Have you tried taking melatonin before you go to sleep?

I haven't slept more than 3 hours at a time for months and I generally average 6 hours of sleep a night. It really amazes me how fast the body can adjust to a bizarre sleep schedule.

18. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

At least his insomnia doesn't affect his grammar and punctuation. :)

19. Star-Fairy

Star-Fairy Member

I'm a sufferer also. The same kind of thing as you. First of all I've cut put anything containing any kind of stimulant, hard but worth it. I drink lots of green and chamomile tea and Ivan a strong believer in Pilates or yoga a couple of times a week. This really helps, not only in stretching out your muscles and joints causing them to relax but it helps the mind in considerable ways.
    I hadn't slept for any amount of time for 2 weeks...but now with Pilates and herbal tea...I sleep every night...not always perfectly but much better :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

20. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

You could try chucking your pillows to the other end of the bed and reverse your usual sleeping position...I find this puts a completely different perspective on things...