This forum does still not have the 'feel' of the old one

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by bird_migration, May 17, 2004.

1. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the date. Ten years later and we're still complaining about the "new" forum. [​IMG]

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

lol. now i see it. might have been mostly true at the time. though i don't remember what there was changed about it that year. i remember furst getting on here before the big year 2k bs. and 2k4 would i think have been right after the shrub managed to convince everyone that destroying iran's infrastructure was a good and useful thing. i wonder if he might have thought he was doing a favor for the saudi royals. i hadn't really given a lot of thought to THAT slant on the oil thing, but that at least makes more sense out of it then any other theory for doing so. strengthening u.s. saudi ties by giving the saudi's a competative advantage. we all know about the one of the family ties between bush and bondar. sure created a hell of a mess that just keeps getting worse and worse though.

well that's the time frame, i think, for 2004. but i'm still not sure, what specifically might have changed on here then. other then the usual comings and goings of participants.

1 person likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Ah well, they were turning green anyway.

Yes, It is very noticeable this way, but I prefer just hitting the button sometimes ;) Also sometimes it is better to neg rep a retarded post with an explanation in the comment instead of calling it out in the thread and risk another off topic rambling session (although they can be fun occasionally :p) because someone's getting defensive.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

2004 was when you had to start registering to post. That's why no one's join date is older than 2004.

Before 2004 it was like the old West around here.

...but what gets me is I can't figure out how to post a pic from the clipboard and I can't list posts Newest first.

Everything else is groovy.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

there is one older than 2004

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

just one

and he is in this thread

7. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

i've seen one thats like a 1996 join date lol

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

thats the one and only

9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

My join date is August 30, 2004 - Can't believe it's been 10 years

Hotwater

10. MeAgain

Well, I guess admin can do anything they like. lol.

But prior to 2004 there was no log on.

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

nah, that was a few years earlier. i found this place in february 2003 and registration was already required by then. the 2004 join dates are because that's when they re-did the forums with new software and the old posts and accounts didn't carry over like they did this time so everyone had to re-register.

i know what you describe was how it worked originally, but that was before my time so i don't know exactly when it changed. there's archives of the pre-2004 forum somewhere out there, so if you can find that you can probably figure it out.

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

by the way, i notice that the white text on white background is finally gone. that was my last real complaint, so now i'm all in with the new setup.

2 people like this.
  13. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

there was also some kind of upgrade in may or june of 2008 because when i first joined around that time i remember the place was full of bitches bitching about the changes and asking dumb questions :beatnik:

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^i don't remember that at all. whatever the changes were, they must have been relatively minor.

15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

most of the talk was about avatars..and profiles and profile visitors listings

16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

17. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Now that i've had a chance to think about it, i think they're right.

I vote we go back to the pre-2004 server and software. Who's with me?

18. MeAgain

Well, that could be. I know I used to post here when you didn't have to register....and ghosted for a time before that.

Looked around a little, the site started in 1996.

In 2001 there were 10,000 members. (Now there are 274,307) The site had just gone through a revision, maybe that's the register date I'm thinking of as it featured a search function which I don't remember when I first arrived.....but it seems my memory is screwed anyway.

20003 you needed 100 posts to become a member....so I guess you did have to register then.

I think 2004 was the year the forums were moved to the Netherlands.
    So eighteen years!​
    Congratulations Skip!

19. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Trust is a terrible thing to lose..... ;)

Seriously, I thought trust needed to be earned not payed for....
    I tend to trust too easily sometimes.....no more of that , I hope....lol

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i know it was before y2k when i started posting on here, but i don't think it was as far back as 96. i remember there was a site called zanaibar or zenbizaar or something like that, that linked to here, which was how i found this place.

and i found that place by doing a search for the origeonal woodstock.