Thinking of making the move

Discussion in 'Washington (State)' started by Iwannaknow890, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Iwannaknow890

Iwannaknow890 Member

Hey all I've been a Californian all my life. I'm gonna be graduation from college very soon and I'm thinking of new places I can move, I'm ready for a bit of a break from Cali. I've heard some good things about Seattle but that's all I've heard about Washington. I've also heard the north western states aren't all that embracing of California people. What's up with Washington, can y'all give me some insight??

2. Mason Grey

Mason Grey Member

Washington state is very cool,
    Seattle is fucking badass in big ways + +
    it is a real mellow smooth groove...
    Oregon is awesome too..

i mostly know seattle,
    it has all kinds of living +

i have heard too that some seattle people have dumbshit grudges against california...
    assholes are universal i guess...

3. Iwannaknow890

Iwannaknow890 Member

Ok so I know seattle is mecca for Washington. Ive heard though that it is very politically charged and that the people can be a bite aggressive. True?? I will say I did hear this from Oregon people who don't seem to hold Washington in high esteem.

4. 5dimdeep

5dimdeep Member

I've been in Seattle for roughly 5 years now and it's really a mixed bag of people. I'm sure moving here would be great but I'd definitely check it out first. I'm from AK originally and in comparison people here are assholes. But I still love them :p If you know people here it'll be so much easier to have fun. There's so much to do around here though-if you're open to new things and like to explore it's a blast!

But...
    Yea some of us Seattlites have issues with Californians but it's nothing too major. (Not me though, I treat everyone as a friend unless they burn me) It's more of the obnoxious people who have huge egos that get ticked off at each other. If you're cool and like to go with the flow you have nothing to worry about.

Just watch out though, some people from Seattle/Bellevue(across the bridge as I like to say) are really pretentious assholes. I've had one of my friends dissing an old civic this guy was driving, like a hatchback by indirectly stating, "Dude these pumps at this gas station are so new...way better than the old ones..haha. It just looks so much better and sleeker." The pumps weren't new -_- he was just hating. I had to ask him why and he just said "we do it just to 'clown' at Bellevue College."...we've kind of drifted apart regardless...

I love it here. More than Colorado/Arizona/San Diego/Alaska by far. I just love the group of friends and the people I run with, the wild parties we throw, the atmosphere, the trees, the water, the sun coming out and that 'omg life is epic' feeling, the smell, the activities, the sights of driving into Seattle on I-5, laying on my car Wayne's World style by the Airport in Sea-tac/Des Moines and watching planes land, the bars, the lakes and rivers, Dick's burgers, Purple Dot in Chinatown, Beth's Cafe, The troll under the bridge ;), Kubota Garden @ night, west seattle's view of the fireworks on New Years =D, Mt. Raineer, Snowboarding @ Mt. Stevens & Crystal, Basketball in Chinatown, Pacific Science Center, riding a ferry around just to be on the water, the underground city tourist trap lol, clubs, The Bite of Seattle *drooling a little*, the Cobra Lounge, the Sounders, the Space Needle at night, the view going up to the top of the space needle or eating dinner there, hella cute asian girls, Pike's Place Market, whatever is cracking on 1st downtown, pioneer square, the Amazon building looming over the city, Seattle U campus parties, hella chill laid back people that just want to have fun, Hempfest, fishing, boating, the air, the morning fog that comes around before a sunny day...omg I could go on forever. I love everything about this place. Sure some people are rude but can u really go anywhere and not run into those sheep?

There's always something going on no matter what you're in to. Sure it rains a lot but that makes those sunny days epic and it keeps everything looking new and fresh!

I suggest you move here. =D we'll welcome you with open arms.

My parents are from Oregon and they dont like Washingtonians...lol I still have no clue why.

5. jhvuyr

jhvuyr Guest

youve just convinced me not to move to washington

6. bluegypsyrain

bluegypsyrain Member

Seattle is very cool--always lots going on (check out The Triple Door, The Tractor Tavern, and The Blue Moon--which, incidentally, has its own Wikipedia page, and was featured in the movie Ten Things I Hate About You).

True, Bellevue has a reputation of being snobbish.

If you're looking for more of a hippie haven, try Olympia, though lately it's been more politically charged, what with budget cuts, etc (it is the capital, after all). However, Oly has lots of natural markets, etc. My oldest daughter lived in West Olympia for a while, and she loved it.

A word of warning: Most of Western Washington is prone to flooding (and mud slides, and downed power lines, often due to fallen trees) throughout the winter and spring, so you might want to do a bit of research before settling on a place.

Also, the traffic sucks in Western Washington. Every day, it's the same damn thing. But depending on where you are in Cali, you may be used to that anyway!

Good luck :2thumbsup:

7. unsneakycindy

unsneakycindy Guest

Hey everyone... I am a 62 year old woman that needs to reconnect with living. I know I need to get out of Mesa, AZ. Hate the heat and I need to leave here for my sanity. Drama has followed this mama for too long... and I am done... need a freaking break! I have family in Woodinville, so I was hoping to find out all I can... wondering if there is a warm happy home to share with other liked mind good ol' hippy chicks. Kind of like the Golden Girls, but they were before my time... so the hippy chicks works for me right now. Easy going, peaceful folks, 420 or not, and not in the busy city... There is a really cool roommate ad in craigslist for a large house on acres, but they are not 420 friendly at all! I like a bowl before bed period, so that won't work for me. I come with a female boxer, Darla, 7 Yrs old. I wish I had the money to get a house on some nice acreage with good friends, where ya can grow your own food.... maybe chickens too? I need a grounding change... a desire to be with nature to live out my years.... Any one aware of room rentals like that in the surrounding area of Woodinville? I tried Spokane, but broke my first bone(my ankle) on the ice... went back to the sand of the desert :/ This website is tough for me to figure out... so I hope I broke no rules here! Sorry if I did! Thanks for listening and maybe some one will reach out! I just hope I find my way back here! lol!!! Peace & <3

8. riversong

riversong Member

UnsneakyCindy - hey there! I'm curious, did you make the move to WA?? I just returned to Seattle after 11 years in New Mexico. I couldn't wait to get back here and now, I'm terribly disappointed. Seattle has gotten insanely expensive and seems to be overrun by smug, entitled, wealthy young people. I'm in my sixties, can't afford to quit working yet, but can't afford to live here and don't know where to go! I need it to be in WA sooooooo, wondering if you moved to WA and where and how you like it?? Thanks!
    rivers

9. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

she had one post last year, i don't think you're going to get a response out of her.

10. riversong

riversong Member

Thanks, eggsprog!

11. Tumbleweed22

Tumbleweed22 Guest

Ever since I started looking for a place to call home, I haven't yet found any answers, but sure learning a lot. Seems like every place has issues, but what I do sense is how hard it is to feel part of a community in this nation unless you go to church. I dream of a place where people with a youthful spirit help each other to build a small dream sustainable (cob?)houses and grow their own food without a bunch of constrictive rules. Campfires available at night instead of the TV. Stargazing, hikes....