Thinking of going Vegetarian...

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by SurfhipE, May 26, 2004.

1. SurfhipE

SurfhipE Senior Member

I want too, to any of you that made the switch...is it hard? Please help me out! I really want to, but...man, I love cheeseburgers. ha. That's so bad.

2. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

go to www.veganoutreach.com click on why vegan? and read the website. i didn't plan on not wanting to eat meat or any other animal products anymore bc of it but it happened. it wasn't hard for me after that. i didn't just cut back or anything i completely stopped. i have no desire to eat meat at all after seeing that....good luck :)

3. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

There are plenty of meat substitutes. Boca burgers, gardenburgers. They are very similar to meat burgers. There is also meatless ground "beef". That's good to trick my daughter when she wants "paskettis". (spagetti).

4. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

Wait, vegetarian or vegan? Veganism is a much more strict form of vegetarianism, it usually means eliminating all animal products from your diet and not wearing/using any products made of/tested on animals.

5. Summertime

Summertime Member

I haven't yet managed to go vegan but I am working on it. :) However, going vegetarian is not that hard once you get past the first couple of weeks. For me, it was more like I had to break the habit, rather than actually craving meat. Once I'd done about a month I'd got used to not eating meat and then didn't actually want to eat meat. If someone offered me meat now, I wouldn't want to eat it because I no longer like the taste, and yeah, if you like the taste, there's so many alternatives avaliable now. The greatest motivation for me was thinking about what it was I was actually eating and where it came from.

Hope this helps :)
    Summer. xx.

6. SurfhipE

SurfhipE Senior Member

Yay..thanks :) vegetarian...I don't think I can do Vegan. I'm a little afarid to check out that site.......what does it show?

7. dwilcox1982

dwilcox1982 Member

I found going vegetarian was really easy. I just stopped eating meat. Period. Not sure why... it was just like choosing between a smelly shirt or clean shirt before going to class. It just *happened*. Not like meat's an addiction like cigarattes. No "effort" needed.

8. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

I had no trouble at all, I actully feel better without the meat. I went vegetarian because I couldn't stomach the fact that here we are supposibly superior animals taking care of these other defenseless animals who put their trust in us and what do we do? Kill em! Thats right we kill em and eat em! Yuck... I'd feel like some kind of serial killer if I had a farm and killed the animals I raised from babies.

9. Scholar_Warrior

Scholar_Warrior Be Love Now

10. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

You said you loved cheeseburgers, yanno, if you try Boca burgers and top them with cheese, I doubt you'll notice the difference :).

But seriously, there are so many alternatives out there that you'll find it easy-peasy to convert...

Later, you'll be so grossed out by meat that even the alternatives make you sick (happens to a lot of us veggies :p)

Good luck!!

Sonja

11. SurfhipE

SurfhipE Senior Member

Thanks...I haven't had meat in a while, actually just thinking about it makes me a little naesous...is that weird? The only thing is is that my parents are big meat eaters, and whenever they make food totally and COMPLETLEY disregard that I am trying to cut back, it really sucks and frustrates me....

12. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

It really does suck, but if you live at home, and your parents buy the groceries and cook the food, you can't expect them (well you CAN, but where will that get ya?;) ) to change what they've done forever just for you. Maybe go shopping with them, and help cook...that way you have more of a say in what's for dinner, then just saying they need to cook to suit you, and change their ways, does that make sense? You might even slowly convert them, if you get your hands in the cooking more!