thinking about leaving home

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by citrus_seas, Jul 1, 2006.

1. citrus_seas

citrus_seas Senior Member

just lately i got my report card and it was very bad..i showed my parents it and my dad said that since music is all i care about that i now can't jam with my band, listen to music or write songs..I think this is extremely fucked up and i'm sick of my right-wing music-hating Nazi parents. I'm only 16 and i know that living on my own is going to be near impossible but I don't want to live in a place where music is thought of as a waste of time and with parents who won't even let me listen to music..

2. mark echo

mark echo Member

can you afford to live on your own?

3. nightwriter

nightwriter Member

Be honest with yourself with why you got the bad grades.

Now, what can be done that will make it so that doesn't happen again?

Present that to your father as an alternative plan. Maybe you could go to summer school or do online classes. Show your dad that you are reading books for next school year. Take responsibility for yourself.

4. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

Yeah, I have to agree with Nightwriter. Your grades were bad.. YOU fucked up. It's not your parent's fault you got bad grades. You must, and they must, know you can do better, that you weren't applying yourself.

Now, I am very far from being a "right wing music hating nazi". In fact, I've played in a few bands myself over the years. But, if my child came home with a bad report card and had spent a huge chunk of his time and energy the last semester/term playing music instead of studying, then I would have reacted the same way they did.

Are you sure they think music is a waste of time? Maybe they just think your schooling should come first at this stage in your life. Guess what? They are probably right! They honestly want whats best for you. They may not show it, it may not seem like it right now, but they do.

You need to buckle down and show some responsibilty to them, and yourself, about your grades and future in order to EARN your musical freedoms back.

Moving out won't fix anything for you, in fact, it will make it worse... you would have to get a job to support yourself, which would leave less time for your music in the end.

Good Luck!

5. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

What icedtea said

Propose a plan that involves more studying, less music, but still some music in one fashion or another
    even if it's as little as music on while your'e studying (I find it keeps me from focusing too hard on the subject material... I can get overlyfocused and forget what I've studied)

Be calm and rationale, have a well laid out action plan to get your grades up while still retaining some things you're passionate about

6. Brand New Soul

Brand New Soul Senior Member

Compramise. I know its your music and its your passion. Talk to them about getting a toture and trying harder. But with out music it will not work etc. But its your life and you choose how you live it. So good luck with what ever your choice is! Hope everything workd out in your favour.

7. morrisonforpres

morrisonforpres Member

man im dealing with almost the same thing taht you are but my parents love music and im a huge music fan but i no that if my parents took away music i would be out of the house and living anywhere in a second so i vote that you get the fuck out of there...
    if music is your life and someone is trying to take it away then you gotta tell them to fuck off and go have some fun

8. morrisonforpres

morrisonforpres Member

personly i dont agree with everybody who is saying taht you should start studying more and that it was rong to be spending all of your time with music rather than studying because music is obviously your passion and thats a hell of alot more important that school.
    im failing school to becuase of playing music all the time and drugs so i unerstand where you comin from but my aprents are only trying to stop the drugs so its not that big of a problem
    so fuck comprimise and get your ass out of that right wing nazi house and find some cool ass friends to chill with

9. nightwriter

nightwriter Member

and hopefully those cool ass friends will have jobs so that you can eat and have a roof over your head. I'm sure they won't mind you mooching off them. THey love to work all day and have you just sitting around playing music.

if not, then I guess you can always make some money being some old guys little plaything...that should get you some food.

10. shirley

shirley Member

Hey talking from the experience of a 16 year old who has been there, make SURE you have a reliable place to stay and make sure you have a backup plan. You really have to plan EVERYTHING if you're gonna leave home, i didn't and it messed up big time, i ended up on the streets and make sure that don't happen to you. x

11. Sininabin

Sininabin Member

life is always about balance being able to balancing your dreams and your studies would help you to improve both

12. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

LOL you can tell how old people are just by these posts in this thread.

It's not that hard to get good grades. It was your fault for failing classes...now you have to suffer the consequences. Maybe now that you know what the consequences are (and you obviously don't like them), you will start getting better grades. See how punishments work? High School, seriously, is a piece of cake. If you can't even get through high school, what makes you think that you'll make it in real life, BY YOURSELF? It's not easy...especially in this day and age. If you value your music so much, start improving your grades and show your parents what you're capable of. Once they see you're making an effort, I'm sure they will begin to allow you to work on your music.

I, also, am no music-hating Nazi...I just know there are consequences to every action...I don't think young people nowadays are used to that...

13. BodyElectric

BodyElectric Member

What are your goals after highschool? Perhaps you can motivate yourself to improve your grades by striving for a goal that includes music - like aiming for a college/university music program.