thinking about going veggie

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by daydreambeliever159, Dec 17, 2006.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

well, all the morbidly obese people the telly shows exploit all are omni... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

and that poster is gone.

2. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

when i becam vegetarian, i lost 40 pounds, till my weight leveled out.
    when i became vegan i gained about 10 pounds.

3. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

Go Jimmy Johns! They have a great veggie sub. I had one for lunch. Yum!

We have a small kitchen in the dorm that I forgot about so my parents will bring pots and pans for me to cook with so I can make spaghetti.

Just wondering, is spaghetti vegan?

Peace and love

4. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

lol - check the ingredients on your noodles. Get a whole wheat noodle with no dairy or egg in it. Ditto on the sauce, just make sure it doesn't contain meat, egg or dairy. :) Ingredients to watch out for, that not everyone knows are dairy: whey, casein, and lactic acid (lactic acid CAN be produced veg, but unless the package says so, assume it's dairy). :)

5. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

Thanks hummblebee for the info!

Peace and love

6. livefortoday

livefortoday Member

Hi I'm a total newbie to all this stuff since I was just thinking of becoming a vegetarian and I came across so many different websites and organisations like PETA and VIVA etc. It's all a little confusing as so many people have different definitions and understandings of vegetarianism. I found this forum and thought maybe somebody could help me out?

At the moment I don't eat red meat or poultry, I do eat fish, dairy products and eggs. I don't consider myself a vegetarian but I want to become a vegetarian. This is due to a combination of a lot of factors: I want a healthier diet, I don't like most meats anyway and I've recently been thinking a lot about animal rights and it makes me quite sick when I think about what people are actually eating. I know thats hypocritical since I'm not a vegetarian but...

I stopped eating meat a few years ago now and wanted to become a vegetarian, however my paretns insisted I still ate fish and dairy etc. I'll be going to uni in a few months and therefore will be responsible for buying and cooking my own food and seen as this is something I've wanted to do for a few years now I guess this would be a good become a proper vegetarian.
    As I mentioned its confusing as so many people have different definitions and understandings of vegetarianism I know right now since I eat fish I'm not a vegetarian but if I cut it out would I be? I know vegans don't eat any meat or animal products or wear stuff like leather. But then some people don't eat eggs or drink milk but eat products made from them, things like yogurt, cheese and butter etc so what are? can anybody give me any advice on becoming a vegetarian but still have a healthy diet?

p.s. sorry about all my rambling, I'm not even sure if what I'm asking makes sense.

7. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

^ if you are eating fish, dairy, eggs, you are 'pescotarian' meaning that you don't eat red meat, only seafood. to be a strict vegetarian, one has to cut out all meats(including fish and seafood), eggs, and dairy. some vegetarians still eat dairy and eggs though. it's all just personal preference.

many people transition into vegetarianism or veganism by stages. what i mean is, i first became lacto-ovo vegetarian (no meat, but eggs and dairy) and while i learned about the lifestyle and food choices, i slowly became vegan (no meat, no diary, no eggs, no animal products). it may be easiest to transition rather than cold-turkey it(no pun intended lol), because some people have bad reactions to suddenly cutting a food group out of their diet. i decided to just stop eating meat one day and my body reacted bad to it. the same thing happened when i stopped drinking milk.

and it's not hypocritical to feel compassion for your meat animals. it's just the next step in your evolution towards being a compassionate human. we need more of those.

as far as cooking for yourself, i thought veganism would be very hard, but now that i've learned the basics of nutrition and balancing my food, it's easy. in fact, i think it would be more of a hassle to cook meat than to make a vegan meal, especially raw food meals. pick up a cookbook or look online for recipes. vegan food is really easy to learn to cook.

if you really want to, there are tons of meat alternative and veggie alternatives to stuff like butter, cheese, milk, etc. i personally don't use many, but some veg*ns use these as staple foods. i would suggest, though, that you not fall into a soy diet, eating mostly fake soy foods. learn to cook real food :D

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

good post, Natural Philosophy.

live for today,
    do what works for you.
    some people have an easier transition going eggless than stopping fish, and some people are veg or vegan in their own homes and a tad less strict when dining with family.
    Usually, if you are an ethical veg*an (all inclusive shorthand for lacto-ovo, lactos, strict veg/dietary vegan and lifestyle vegans) you won't be as flexible with "big deal" meals.
    and that can change as you evolve into a veg*an. what I found OK in 1980 is not so wonderful an idea today. But I'm a bit more forgiving of others' journeys, if they are honest.
    I found the UK more supportive of veg*an choices when I was living there, compared to the US.
    cooking your own food is a great start.
    read the FAQ and definitions, and I think we have a thread or two on ingredients.
    start with knowing what you want and why you are doing it.
    If health is your main motivation, and that's a damn good reason, then a slip with gelatin or whey will not be as big a deal to you.
    Keep your reasons formost in your mind. Acknowledge as they change, too.

9. hippy i am

hippy i am poppy seed bagels

Geez. Can't people spell the simplest of words?

10. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

oh, i'm sorry. i didn't mention my dad to make you feel bad, just to make a point, lol.

11. daydreambeliever159

daydreambeliever159 Member

Wow I posted this thread FOREVER ago! I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to this thread though, because y'all helped me get to 100% vegetarian! YAY! I was strictly no-meat for about 2 years. Recently, I've been learning more about the local food movement and have found some pretty great farms nearby that produce grass-fed, humanely butchered meats so I have slowly been introducing beef into my diet again. Crazy how sick I got the first time I tried to eat a whole steak by myself!!! I still haven't found a source for chicken or fish that I am comfortable with, and even this local beef leaves me feeling a bit iffy, though. So it's mostly still lots of veggies and boca burgers for me. But seriously, THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who replied to this thread and contributed to the other threads on here that I read as well. This was an excellent source of information for me and you guys rocked it. YAY!

12. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've been pescotarian for 3 days now.... so far so good!