thinking about going veggie

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by daydreambeliever159, Dec 17, 2006.

1. rak

rak Senior Member

http://images.google.at/images?q=tbn:r8n-Rij29reMzM:http://www.industryplayer.com/images/licrespic/Vegetables.jpg

^so from this diagram over here, select the combenation of vegetebles that make a balanced meal?

well whats better?

a) living just on vegetebles and dying at the age of seven?

or

b) eating what ever you want and dying at the age of fourty?

^i dont diss your eating habits so dont diss my writing habits.

2. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

lol i think you just did.
    my dad ate whatever he wanted, actually he ate more meat than anything else and he died when he was 48.
    Paul McCartney, aka Super Vegan, is still alive at 64! and healthy!
    by the way, fourty is a REALLY early age to die at.

3. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

the oldest person who ever lived was a vegan..go figure...

4. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

knock on wood!

5. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Lol, your diagram is so laughable...everyone go and look. Its almost cute...

As for our protein sources etc, please go and do some research. I mean it. You could be enlightened. My soya/legume/veg based diet includes a vast, vast selection of other foods too...hey, as my boyfriend (a relatively recent vegan) said to me today, ive never eaten so well...

As for dying after 7 years...tell that to the worlds oldest vegan;) and also to a large number of people here, including myself. If your theory is right, 2007 will be the death of me

Xx

6. rak

rak Senior Member

^what?

^living on vegetebles is alright. i know i dissed vigan living in my last post, but i was kind of forced to do that (if you know what i mean). all i wanted was some input on some questions about being a vigan. i think that people should appriciate questions about there life style because that way they can share there beliefs with other people. that way maybe other people might like to adopt there beliefs.

instead a lot of people on this thread insulted me. i think that if a lot of the people on this thread knew whether they are living safe or not by being a vigan then they wouldnt get so angry. they would explane how and what they eat to ensure that there way of living is healthy. i usually get angry when i am unsure about something and not when i am very sure about something.

as for my diagram, it was meant to be funny. i was dissed by someone so i dissed that person back.

sorry about your father. i was joking when i said that i only eat meat. i only wrote that because i was bored. i do eat vegetebles a lot.

7. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

The problem with using a medium like an internet forum for that kind of "joking" is that *sarcasm doesn't come across very well*. It's one thing to politely pose questions about the healthiness of the decision to go veg*an. But what you were doing came across as just trying to instigate a conflict. Just saying, you might want to keep it in mind. :)

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

but flaming stupidity does.
    Please, rak, leave the thread as it is by someone looking for support.
    take your debate to health, where it belongs.

9. rak

rak Senior Member

look at the following post:

^this is my first post on this thread. it isnt sachastic. however this is the reaction that i got:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

does what? what are you even talking about?
    i am not in the thread, i am replaying to it. maybe i wouldnt need to keep coming here if you stopped hurling insults at me like a drunkard.
    î wasnt debating i was just asking a question. if you cant answer the question just ignore it.

10. sweetdreadlover

in other words please find a new board to post on..we dont need arguments we are truly interested in the topics, not flaming.

11. rak

rak Senior Member

^(looks @ photo). vegeterian?...not you my friend.

12. drumminmama

oooohhh personal attack. Byebye.

13. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

Back to the original subject, I've tried the veggie thing a few times. I want to make a more lasting commitment to vegiterianism. Where can I begin?

Peace and love

14. drumminmama

start with WHY.
    if you know your motivation, you can find what is important to you.
    Is it aesthetics? you just don't want to eat corpses? or it is gross in texture?

is it health? the lifestyle would be good for you?

Is it a dislike for HOW the West gains its meat (ie, factory farming, but home raised would still be OK with you...and you don't home-raise animals)

Do you question the need to kill animals for food? Do you think there is a better way?

Are you completely of the opinion that humans do not have the innate right to use animals for food?

15. hippie_chick666

Right now, I want to change my ways 1.) because of the bad karma brought on by contributing to the death of an animal and 2.) live a healthier lifestyle. My dad is plagued by high cholestrol and high blood pressure and I don't want to reach the same fate. I want control over my health and help save a few animals too. One of my obsticales is my lack of resources. I have a microwave and a frig and that's about it. I live in a dorm and do my shopping at the on-campus C-store. What are some ways to get back on track?

Peace and love

16. drumminmama

get an electric wok at a second hand store. The old electric skillets will do, as well. run them for a while with water if not a nonstick coating to get the old fats out of the surface.
    Rice cookers are about $30 max and can also steam veggies. those two tools can get you by for years.
    get a reasonable knife and a cutting board.
    get your tail to a grocery store and get brown rice, a few potatoes, onions and garlic (garlic granules or jarred kind might be easier) carrots, celery, and a couple other veggies that you like, oil, and some bottled sauces. Get a couple boxes of ziploc type sandwich bags and dish soap.
    If you can fit it in the tiny freezer, a bag of frozen mixed veggies is helpful.

assume rice is OK in a fridge for 2-3 days. bag cooked rice in sandwich bags for nuking the next three days. (so make four servings at a time, and you cook rice only twice a week.)
    veggies get prepped at once and bagged, except for the root veggies (onion, carrot, potatoes).
    So when you get to the room, pull out a bag of rice, the bags of veggies and pick a sauce.
    toss some various veggies in the wok and stir fry them. nuke the rice. Mix in wok with sauce.
    dinner.

17. hippie_chick666

Thanks drumminmama, for your helpful advice. I will try to get groceries when my parents get here next week!

Peace and love

18. drumminmama

ok, What campus are you on that doesn't have a town nearby?

19. hippie_chick666

I live in Bloomington, IN but I don't have a car and after the snow, well, the streets are in no shape to be walked. The only walking I do is on campus. At least the snow is shoveled off the sidewalks! Bloomington is not the town for pedistrians, except for the downtown area.

Peace and love

20. sweetdreadlover

nobody ever said there was such a thing as ALL vegans and vegetarians weighing 90 pounds....just like saying people who eat meat all weigh 500 pounds....