Thinking about getting into beading, can anyone help me on my feet?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Fooja, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Fooja

Fooja Member

Hey!!!

I'm thinking about starting to bead. Like jewelry and cellphone straps and etc.

Can anyone send me links to helpful sites with things I can buy, helpful hints, tutorials, etc or just send information on the thread to help me get on my feet in this?

Are there any beading help books you can think of that would be good for me just starting off?

What supplies and tools are a must for beading?

Thanks for all the help to everyone that helps. I'll love you forever!!

Ill probably port more questions in later replies, FYI.

2. redfraggle42

redfraggle42 Member

There are several bead shops online for you to buy suplies from. The three that I use are:

Firemountain Gems - They have shopping available online as well as a free 900 page catalog.

Rio Grand - They only do mail order, but you can order the catalogs through the web site. They also have a totally seperate catalog for tools and displays.

Zuma Beads (St. Louis Local) - They have a great selection of beads. The local store gives 50% off for catagories of beads for orders of $100 or more. I don't know if they do this over the phone but it is worth asking. I love Zuma.

As far as tools, you should invest in a good pair of round nosed pliers. A small jewelrs pair can be found at most bead stores. These are good for shaping wire. A pair of flat nose pliers or two, for opening and closing jumprings. A good pair ofjewelry wire cutters. A beading board for holding and setting up your beads for stringing. All of these can be found in the Rio catalog for decent prices. They also have kits for beading avaliable.

As far as books go a must have is Moods In Wire By Ellsworth Sinclair. It tells you how to wrap wire as well as making findings and clasps. As far as beading goes you can find all kinds of books at your local library to check out before you purchase one. Rio has many books and videos availiable for beading also.

I hope this helps. :)

3. Fooja

Fooja Member

Hai hai!!! *bows* Arrigatou!!

(Yes yes!!! Thank you!!)

4. snelio37

snelio37 Member

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Lots of craft stores have some good books... I love beading too, I've made a few good gifts...