'Think Positively'

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Idle_Billy, Sep 13, 2019.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Projection can bring about it's own kind of difficulties and horribleness.

parua and hikingchik like this.
  2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Successful suicides tend to be people with poor impulse control, teens are infamous because of their poor impulse control. Their minds are weak to begin with, because their hearts are weak to begin with and they have not reconciled the two. If anything, they want instant gratification, such as chanting happy, happy, joy, joy. If you are suicidal, I would suggest avoiding instant gratification and paying it forward instead, reach out to others and discover who you want to become.

parua, hikingchik and Driftrue like this.
  3. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Suicide In The UK During WW 2 Was Almost Zero......That's Right.....When Things Were

Looking Their "Blackest" People Stopped Thinking About "Petty Things" And Focused On

The "Big Picture".............Which Was..... "Staying Alive"........

Cheers Glen.

hikingchik and wooleeheron like this.
  4. wooleeheron

The big picture, is death is meaningless without love.

hikingchik likes this.
  5. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

We don't usually kill ourselves over someone else's problems.

hikingchik likes this.
  6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

The other thing is that people always equate "thinking positively" with "being happy/cheerful/upbeat" and I don't think it's always that. Something horrific might happen, and you grieve, and "thinking positively" might just mean telling yourself that it's okay to grieve, that things always pass and all is temporary. That's a positive mindset, it doesn't mean being happy.

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there's no hell that can't be turned into a heaven with the right approach. but you won't find it in the scriptures of any religion. they may help statistically, but only up to a point.
    you won't find it by hating logic, consideration or imagination either. statistically the odds favor neither heavens nor hells. and the universe isn't out to get you.
    it doesn't even know you and would have nothing to gain if it did. of course humans, there's a small percentage who are out to get everybody, so don't take it personal.
    they're also not a majority, they're just what you hear about on for profit media because shock sells advertising space.

hikingchik likes this.
  8. wooleeheron

One in five Americans insists the sun revolves around the earth, because they trust their teachers. Our thoughts either speak for themselves, are they just gibberish. Often the fixation on suicide, money, work, your drug of choice, or whatever is culturally reinforced. Fundamentalists have the worst social records of all, with the highest suicide rates, child abuse, abortion, rape, divorce, etc. My poetry was written in part, by survivors of fundamentalist bullshit. We know who made us suicidal, we know how we did it to ourselves as well, and fight for a better world.

Sometimes, its better to get angry once you start to grasp the big picture better.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

humans do a lot of dumb shit, but i question the benefits of venting anger where the only people who can hear it can do nothing more about it then to feel your frustration.
    it is useful though when there are people who absolutely refuse to hear anything else.

the big picture is statistical and we all create it by our examples. being statistical though, means that you can't expect to see a particular result in a particular person.
    but it also means, not seeing what you hope for in one place, doesn't mean it isn't having an effect, more often where you least expect it to.

there is a big picture, absolutely, but it is more the sum of little pictures. even the most dominant decision makers don't live in a complete cultural vacuum.
    many of them try very hard to do so, like the have plugs in every outface they have. but whatever they do, there is the subtle and nuanced influence of the culture we all create.

and it is that culture of thoughtlessness, that we have no reason to be surprised, produces thoughtless "leaders".

hikingchik likes this.
  10. wooleeheron

Venting anger is stupid, harnessing it is another story altogether. Mother nature gave you anger for reason, use it, or learn the hard way why she gave it to you. My work will ensure everyone has a chance to learn the hard way, just how self-defeating they have become.

themnax likes this.
  11. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I don't know if I agree, woo.
    I talked about this briefly with someone else recently.. and the idea that harnessing anger for positive action is the way to use anger.
    But i'd like to think I could choose not to feel anger, ever, and the actions it might have inspired me to take, if they are correct, I would take anyway because they are correct.

themnax likes this.
  12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i wish it were that easy to not ever feel it. i certainly don't enjoy ever feeling it. but there are occasions, thankfully not often, but they exist, when nothing else seems to have immediate effect, where immediate effect in critically required. mostly to stop or at least reduce, thoughtlessness when it is putting other needlessly at risk.

there is much truth in woolee's first two sentencis, (or at least i currently feel that there is). his third i'm not familiar enough to judge.
    i like the feeling of calm. i like the feeling of not being swayed to anger. it (anger) is something to reserve for when it is both useful and needed.
    (and certainly too many people are too careless with theirs. it can become a kind of addiction. and like all addictions, it robs you of your authority over yourself)

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

positively no is positive. (when its logical and not ignorant)

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

There is that saying that "reality is not only stranger than we suppose, but stranger than we can suppose" and this is relevant because I believe studies have been done between optimists and pessimists and pessimists generally score higher on accuracy tests of events and of individual's positions in them.

Assuming that is accurate, the whole power of positive thinking movement, in a way, is asking the pessimist to suppress a part of themselves and the way they understand reality. Perhaps this might be useful for a pessimist who develops bad habits and stagnates because of them but it seems like an odd proposition.

All of this presumes free will actually exists too and people can merely choose their disposition.

16. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

But what I'm trying to say is that they aren't exclusive of each other, a pessimist can still be a positive thinker.
    It's about whether you Accept reality, or not. Maybe you think pessimistically about life, but if you accept that as Okay, because it's how life is, you are thinking positively.

17. wooleeheron

Society discourages us from expressing our thoughts and feelings in an organic manner, while the question is not whether hate and anger are bad, but can we use them to overcome our own self-defeating behavior. If someone is depressed and struggled to overcome their depression, anger certainly has a place, while being happy while someone tortures you is no better than lash out blindly at the world.

18. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I agree that they are not exclusive, it's somewhat an artificial delineation, like left brained vs right brained people. However, I think it's useful in understanding how a phrase like "Think Positively" might comes across as hollow for some people.

It's been over a decade since I've read any Positive Thinking Self-Help Books and I only dabbled at that but on the surface, this sounds like semantic gymnastics.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  20. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Okay well I've never read a self-help book, maybe I should write one : )

Total Darkness likes this.