Think on good things

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Dude111, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Think on Good Things - House to House - Heart to Heart

• Why should I say “I can’t” when the Bible says I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength (Philippians 4:13)?
    • Why should I lack when God supplies all my needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19)?
    • Why should I fear when God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love and sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7)?
    • Why should I be weak when the Lord is the strength of my life (Psalm 27:1; Daniel 11:32)?
    • Why should I feel like a failure when I am a conqueror in all things through Christ (Romans 8:37)?
    • Why should I allow Satan supremacy over my life when He that is in me is greater than he that is in the world (1 John 4:4)?
    • Why should I lack wisdom when God gives wisdom to me generously when I ask for it (1 Corinthians 1:30; James 1:5)?
    • Why should I accept defeat when the Bible says that God always leads me in triumph (2 Corinthians 2:14)?
    • Why should I be depressed when I have God’s loving kindness, compassion, and faithfulness to give me hope (Lamentations 3:21-23)?
    • Why should I worry when I can cast all my care on Christ who cares for me (1 Peter 5:7)?
    • Why should I be in bondage when the truth has set me free (John 8:32)?
    • Why should I feel condemned when there is no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1)?
    • Why should I feel alone when Jesus is with me always, even to the end of the world (Matthew 28:20; Hebrews 13:5)?
    • Why should I be discontented when I can be content in all my circumstances (Philippians 4:11)?
    • Why should I feel worthless when Christ values me (1 Corinthians 4:5)?
    • Why should I have a persecution complex, knowing that nobody can be against me when God is for me (Romans 8:31)?
    • Why should I let the pressures of life bother me when Jesus has overcome the world and its tribulations (John 16:33)?
      —adapted from Herb Patnaude

Ajay0 and Deidre like this.
  2. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Good thoughts but perhaps this should've been in the Christianity subforum?

3. Matthew 7:7

4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Ya maybe but i figured the general religion base was good also Running Horse :)

Running Horse likes this.
  5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

good things don't begin and end with what anyone or any belief tells anyone to think they know,
    but yes good things, because we tend to go in the direction we look.

good things are a world where no one hates logic, consideration, honesty or imagination,
    and there wouldn't be anything wrong with our world if no one did.

yes, good things. houses that are odd, unique, succinct, small, just big enough and no bigger.
    transportation that is public, built to just big enough size and propelled by clean energy, runs often, as near as possible to everywhere.
    that runs as often on all days, because its in the same category as feeding your cattle.
    and neither robbing more from nature then it has to. nothing to try to see how much it can get away with.

a humanity that doesn't try to claim to be the center of the universe or the reason for other things to exist.
    unseen things without ego or hierarchy with no desire to be feared.

yes i may not agree with everyone as to just what good things are,
    but i agree absolutely with focusing on them as much and as how the anger and hatred of others are prevented from interfering with my doing so.

a universe that owes nothing to what anyone tells you to believe is a good thing.
    anything that wishes to be feared is not.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Would this be the same as "willin' it"? Because I'm a big fan of willin' things on. It's actually uncanny how far it goes and what it does in my life. Sometimes I can clearly interpret what's about to happen before it does and it feels like I'm willin' it to happen. When I really put my emotion into it, things happen a lot. Not all the time but sometimes.

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

good is a world in which no one hates logic, consideration, honestly or imagination.
    people telling each other what to pretend, is not.

the willin it thing is a couple of things, mostly we tend to go in the direction we look, but we do all have some psionic potential, totally unreliable, but it does, can, nudge probablilty in some desired direction.
    it doesn't seem to be able or likely to escape out of the bell shaped hill of probability, but it can sometimes, again unreliably, but it does happen, move things around a bit within it.

but this is a thing, how we are all focused, what that adds up to statistically, that's the direction we again, statistically, as a human herd of cats, tends to move.
    and what inspires the direction we look is what we are entertained by. so the story tellers, song writers and visual artists, all play an important role in that.

where we are is always the future we created in our past, i mean collectively, though this my go for individually too,
    and what we don't pay attention to, don't care about, is often what we end up with as well.

so its not sufficient to ignore anything. but ultimately, the direction we look, does play the bigger role in where we end up.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

however you define good, one thing, we all tend to walk in the direction we look.
    even if its only because we learn that if we don't look where we going we fall over things.

but i think its more then that,
    bitterness and hatred tend to be rather self fulfilling,
    whether or not logic and consideration are, and i like to think they might be statistically,
    just avoiding encouraging the inequities focusing on them makes likely is worth doing so for its own sake.

and even for one's own happiness.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

conversely, perhaps it would have been better had the op been less specific to that one faith, as the concept is one far more universally applicable then to be confined to it.
    (more buddhist or even vulcan then christian, even if that were the source of the op's referents)

Running Horse likes this.