Think I can sue the Jehovahs?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by stonerblond74, Sep 8, 2005.

1. stonerblond74

stonerblond74 Member

So I'm bringing some trash out, and as I'm lugging two huge garbage bags down the stairs, my right foot slips out from under me and I go sliding the rest of the way down the steps. I land in a heap at the bottom, my left ankle twisted, and my entire left leg covered in bruises. Nothing serious enough to require a trip to the hospital, but enough to put me in some pain.

Turns out the Jehovah Witnesses left a copy of their Watchtower magazine on my stairs, and that's what I slipped on!

I'm all for freedom of religion. Believe in whatever makes sense to you, whatever makes you feel spiritual. But I don't go door to door harrassing people about my beliefs, and I'd like the same from others. And I CERTAINLY don't go around creating hazards with my religious literature. AARRGH!!

2. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Answer: no

3. dangermoose

dangermoose Is a daddy

complain to their church about what happened, they'll make a general announcement probably and they wont leave it on poeples stairs in the future...you may help save an old ladies life...

4. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

Find out where they live and write "God loves you" in cooking lard at the top of their stairway.

Then spell out "AMEN" in broken glass at the bottom of their stairway.

5. 2cool

2cool Member

Yeah, if it was on your property you couldn't sue. But yeah that would sure as hell piss me off too.

6. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

In America you can start and win the weirdest cases...

I agree that they should mind their own god damn business. Those Watchtower things and similar shit is useless nonsense, and those politically correct drawings of elegantly semi-black, smiling people picking apples from lush trees ('this will be the earth's future if only you submit your free will to a non-existent dictator!') are vomit-inducing.

7. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

hell yes u can sue, they were directly responcible through negligence, & a fall like that could be life threattening ven though you wernt hurt too badly
    if u do decide to sue, they most likely will settle out of court rather then make theyre door to door bullshit look bad
    (when u win i get 10% for advising you..heehee)

8. redryder

redryder Member

i agree you should contact the church so they can make an announcement, but it makes me wonder about newspapers and stuff like that that get thrown on people's doorsteps and stuff... do ppl still get papers thrown on their doorsteps? i wonder how many old ladies have tripped on their sunday paper

9. Colours

Colours Senior Member

Its worth a try :D. I personally wouldnt want to be one of those assholes who tries to get away with crazy ass lawsuits, but in this case, i think its justifiable :) Its no like jahovah's witnesses drive around and throw pamphlets out of their car windows....they walk door to door. theres no reason they should have left it on your steps.

10. Mr MiGu

Mr MiGu King of the Zombies

maybe its a sign from god........

11. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Maybe you can get them for littering? :D

12. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

ironically named magazine.......

13. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

i doubt you could sue, it'd be hard to prove exactly who left it there. But definitely call their church and tell them what happened. Don't be an asshole on the phone, but make it known you were hurt and were not happy about it, tell them it's not safe to leave things like that on a stairway, this time it was minor injuries to your ankle and leg, next time, it could be your neck, and you dead at the bottom of the stairs.

14. stonerblond74

stonerblond74 Member

It wasn't outside, it was the inside stairs of my house. I doubt I can actually sue, not enough damages, but damn they piss me off. The Kingdom Hall is right down the block from me. They have a huge fence with a rolling gate around their parking lot. Next time they're all there, my boyfriend wants to lock them in. Just pull the gate closed and put his own padlock on it.

15. Colours

Colours Senior Member

Not enough damages? :D I think most people would remember the story of the woman who sued McDonalds for serving her coffee too hot, when she spilled it on her lap. I dont know what type of burn she got, but i would assume a sprained and bruised ankle is just as bad if not worse?

16. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Most people know they take the paper or figure out when the freebies come.
    Who knows when the JW will stalk...er...visit you?