Things We Like and things to beware of

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 3, 2005.

1. dystopiate

dystopiate Member

yes! do a dreaded mohawk! that is the hottest hair style possible. i was tempted to shave a mohawk before i dreaded my hair, but i don't look girlish enough with a mohawk.

2. SpaceChive

SpaceChive Member

Bleaching worked really well for me actually.. well, don't wax and do not felt too much, it makes the hair brittle. And use the right shampoo, er, *crackles brain* oh yeah, make sure the hair does not get greasy, it slows down the dreading process.
    Golden tip: use lemon juice in your hair, preferably mixed with seasalt, it speeds up the felting and prevents your dreads from getting really greasy.

3. Box Of Rain

Box Of Rain Member

that stuff realllllly damages your hair if you use it alot.
    its really rough on hair and dries it out a ton.
    i wouldnt recommend using it all the time.
    the reason why your dreads probably feel tighter is becoming they're losing their softness and becoming dried out and taking the moisture out of your hair.

4. SpaceChive

SpaceChive Member

Drying the hair can be a good thing in the developing stages, because it helps the hair knot op quicker, but when the dreadlocks mature you really shouldn't use that stuff, because like Box of Rain said, it really destroys your hair and it may even cause it to break off. I use lets dred coconut oil to keep it moistened^^ it also helps getting the frizzies in and doesn't damage the dreads at all! It even helps them grow stronger it seems.

5. arlia

arlia Members

didnt realie i could post my shop on here.
    I sell various dread tams, tubes and headbands for your dreads
    as well as other hippie fun goods

www.arliaflower.etsy.com

6. peacedaisy

peacedaisy Member

me and my man put the essential oil (1 or 2 small drops) in a spray bottle and then mix with water or another carrier that works on our dreads, shake the spray up really well and then go to town on your locks!!!! So yeah, you can use essential oils.. and the smell lasts a long time. :)

7. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

Blast from the past...I remembered this thread really helped me when my dreads were in their begining stages, and I'm definitely going to read through it again when I'm ready to give dreadlocks another go. Thought it was worth a bump.

8. sweetjellyface

sweetjellyface Guest

i enjoyed that too...

i was scrolling through wondering when it was going to come into the current decade :p

what comes through is that everyone is so concerned about what products they use, how often, what if this happens... what if that happens... i'm really worried and concerned about doing it 'right'. (although it IS a 'products' thread, so i do concede a little...).

i totally admit, i had these thoughts too for a week or two. the reason i'm posting is that i'm really surprised... what i'm only realising now, reading this thread, is that i don't care anymore. and the "caring" wore off weeks ago. the dreads will do what the dreads will do. funny how it creeps up on you... i guess this realisation is part of the process too :)

does anyone have an inspired introspected/philosophical dread-journey thread? rather than: i did this.... i did that... these are the pics... i think about my own thoughts... and well i could do with some inspiration! i'm currently at the "i think they smell... maybe... dunno, might wash anyway... oh now they're really heavy... hope they dry soon cos i'm getting drips down my back!" sort of stage. and, i still have the "look kinda fuzzy... hope they mature within the next few months... who knows!" kind of excitement :)

oh how hollow. i think i'm a bit drunk. with no dread friends to chat with :blush5:

9. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

sweetjellyface...why don't you make a thread like the one you're talking about?

Its fine that you don't care anymore about what products you could use, or what methods...but I think its good to talk to other people about products and process and things. Not only does it give people ideas and such, its nice to be able to talk about it.

Just because your hair's dreaded up doesn't mean you can't use a wide variety of products and techniques...I like experimenting.