Things We Like and things to beware of

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 3, 2005.

1. PeaceBabe

PeaceBabe Senior Member

If you are hot, and decided to cut your dreads ends off, or try to cut the loose ends off, do it to a 'test' dread first. One that your not afraid of losing, becuase its possible. I learned the hard way. I cut about 4 inches off the bottom of my dreads, and I am very sad now. :( So learn from me, beware of cosmetic cutting.

2. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

ooo yeah that woulnt beso great...
    also beware of sleeping weird on yer dreads...i have my fave one(cealo) yeah he likes to stand straight up when i sleep weird on him..lol

3. Scorpius

Scorpius Member

beware of rubberbands they make you look retarded (i hate them)

4. dreaddyeddy

dreaddyeddy Member

I have had my dreads for a few months now and i have waxed them a few times...will the wax eventually just come out of my dreads?

Thanks

5. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

not on its own. You have to really scrub good with soap/shampoo to get it out of your hair. Might take several washes before it starts to make much difference.

6. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

try to use a good strong shampoo too, which means u shouldnt do it until they have matured quite a bit.

7. snelio37

snelio37 Member

im just going to note that this may be the funniest thread out of all the forums.

not that im laughing at your pain, but the tree branch thing and the one sticking straight up= almost peed my pants. which is especially impressive because im wearing a skirt. there was no real contribution in this post, but i thought i'd share.

8. Snyfin

Snyfin surfing the astral plane

I just got 1 huge bottle of Dr. Bronner's, and 4 bars of soap and the writing on the bottle is intense! hahaha like "Abraham in 345 B.C. went to All-one!". It's so crazy!

9. OMFGitsg00

OMFGitsg00 Member

This isn't a so much a beware of, but a uh you know funny story.
    so ive got this one dread right in front of my face on my left side. Its name is lil' hoe, for a very fun reason.
    you see little hoe, was the first dread i took the rubber bands off of, and the one i waxed the most (b/c its right in front of my face, easiest to get to etc) anywho its called little hoe because ever since the day it was unbanded its been acting up, its currently locking on the inside butits absolutely surrounded by loose hairs that wont go into it, ive tried pretty hard and gotten some of the ridiculous amounts of loose hair in, but its still got more than any other dread on my head.
    Its nuts! maybe when i get to washing wax out it will help lil' hoe!

10. goatboy1186

goatboy1186 Visitor

IF YOU USE RUBBERBANDS DONT FORGET TO TAKE THEM OUT NO MORE THAN A WEEK LATER... i still have black gunk in one of my ends from probably a year ago.... its a lot better now but everyonce in a while i will feel somethin sticky in there. Also, clockwise rubbing or whatever just makes my dreads not knot as tight. When i first started i would rub the roots for a long time and the ones i didnt rub were a lot tighter. also no wax... i stopped using wax and my dreads got like 10x tighter. so if your having a bad hair day (which is everyday for me if you ask my mom hehe) just bite the bullet and wear a hat or something.

11. pixeewinged

pixeewinged Visitor

12. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

Beware of certain products on the internet that are HORRIBLE for dreadlocks. Natural dreads are 9 trillion times better than using these terrible and detrimental products. And remember, not everything you see advertised is what it seems, OR if something looks good, remember that it may not be made the way someone says it was made.

13. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

Crap. I have wax. And rubber bands. And I backcombed.

:mad: Can't do anything right!!!

Wish I'd found this forum a little sooner! I learned everything I know about what's good and bad dreadiquette (hahaha) from the websites that SELL that crap.

14. colorfulhippie

colorfulhippie Member

It's not too late, just take the bands out and wash that wax out. Assuming you haven't been waxing them for years, your dreads will heal after a few really good washings.

15. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

Done! I think I got all of the wax out...they feel and look so much better.

16. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

Hey knotdirty, I just wanted you to know that you haven't screwed anything up. I know pretty much all about the products *i think* you used, it's possible to get the wax out, but it's going to take a while. Just do hot water on them. Did you use lock peppa? A good test with the wax to see what its going to be like, is put it on your hands and rub it in...then, go wash them. Nothing happens. Just like you didn't wash them. So its going to take scrubbing and hot water and patience. Need any info, PM me.

17. Mr.Gordon

Mr.Gordon Member

lol, i'm in a very similar situation to knotdirty... i deceided i should do my own dreadlocks rather then paying for them. so i searched through websites for methods and instructions... i didn't actually used thoses websites products for dreading, but the thing is, i'm from Brazil, and here it's very common to use beewax for making dreads... that's actually what they use on the hair saloons to dread. so i bought some, got some friends to backcomb my hair, and as they were even less informed about dreadlocks then I was, they ended up soaking my hair in wax... this mess was done a week ago, so after reading this post I got really concerned about my hair, but i think I still have a chance to heal my hair hehe =P
    the thing is: beewax don't seem very easy to just "rub off" from the hair... actually, i've heard from other ppl here that just by palm rolling and rubbing it eventually gets off the hair in a couple of months, but I'm afraid i have too much wax in the hair and that it will last too long... does anyone have a suggestion?

18. HavePatience

HavePatience Member

hot, hot, hot water. Uncomfortably hot water, in a bucket, and soak and knead your hair in it. You will need to do this several times. There are also several rinses around this forum that are very popular and useful for cleaning, and healing locks.

I hope that this helps.

Namaste

19. aghori baba

aghori baba Member

Simplicity and simple living should be at the helm of the reason why one locks up thier hair, and that said, just do nothing to the hair except wash, preferably with ocean water(salt), and then do nothing else. walk bare foot, eat fruits and sing chants to mother nature and locks gwan grow like mighty vines. aya. Respect.

20. KyndMama07

KyndMama07 Member

How is it coming along everyone trying to get wax out?