Things We Like and things to beware of

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 3, 2005.

1. themahn

themahn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Let it grow wildly, never comb and swim in the ocean as much as possible...

Patience is the best way...

[​IMG]

2. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Beautiful dreadies, brother. :)

3. TheRealPamela

TheRealPamela Member

They are called Dental Flossers. They are not expensive, maybe $2-3 a package,but you can use each one until it breaks so they last. THey are near the toothbrushes. They are great for threading back in loose hair.

4. MellowPsychedelia

MellowPsychedelia Member

Hey I am going to add to this. My little brother said his friend curled her hair before she dreaded and it worked alot better. What do you all think?

5. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

The thing is with bleach AESTHETICALLY it works. .... its dry's the hair, strips it of all nutrieint and colour (you can NOT color strip without some form of bleaching agent)

Therefore it means the hairs knott together a hell of a lot easyer.

so yes it works.

ON THE OTHER HAND

it leaves your hair in a TERRIBLE state. as i said all nutrients have been removed, your hair is nothing but hollow strips of hair. This leads to serious split ends and breakage. Ive known people who bleached their dreads to white point and had them break off.

IF you are going to bleach my advice is to either use lemon juice and sit in the sun (if your lucky this works to lighten your hair slightly) or if you hant bleach blonde hair to bleach it only slightly and THEN use aloe vera extract to re place some of the moisture and nutrients in the hair.

in normal hair its not so bad if you bleach it to s*** because the hairs fall out and dissapear into the atmosphere, and because you will get it cut, so the bad hairs are constantly being replaced with new hairs. (hence roots) however with dreads ALL the hair stays and yes you get roots but your hair has to put up with holding ALL your hair you've had since having dreads as well as the strain of knotts and to put it through bleaching as well.. poor hair :p

personally i have no bleached. maybei will change my mind one day but i love how soft my hair feels and how natural it is.

Your hair WILL dread without bleach.

6. DreadyBluegrassLover

DreadyBluegrassLover Member

I just piced a day to wash, and wash it on the same day everyweek, unless I'm up to something that I feel it made it to be washed before hand. And about starting dreads, just let em go and do what they want, growing natural dreads takes time, it teaches you patience.

Jah love

7. gruvenmama420

gruvenmama420 *sweet sugga mama*

8. shrimpgirl

shrimpgirl Member

i let my dreads form naturally by letting my short hair grow back in without ever brushing or shampooing it ....but cut them out last september, it took about a year for most of it to look 'tight' but still after two year the top wouldnt dread.... otherwise all i did to help them along was constantly play with them, twirling thme between my fingers n stuff
    i really want to let them dread again but dont feel like cutting my hair short again, think it would work on already shoulder length hair?

peace

9. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

Holy shit! You're a genius! I've been trying to figure out how to tame these damn fly aways. they mostly happen on the right side of my head because I sleep on that side. Now I'm going to go buy a pack of these.

10. ssreetnulov

ssreetnulov Member

11. barbrady85

barbrady85 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

If I want to naturally grow dreads, do I have to stop running my hands through my hair? Because I never ever use a comb or brush but i always run my hand through my hair. I also dont use conditioner.

12. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

the last time i dreadded my hair they were like 3 1/2 inches long and i waxed em. they were super tight and when i cut em they didnt look all white and flakey..they just looked likw knotted hair...i just recently redreadded my hair and used a minimul amount of wax...just enough that they keep little hairs down..you dont need a crapload of wax just a tiny small amount...one other thing wax is good for is conditioning dreads if you have african american hair...otherwise the dreads can break in half from being so brittle(yikes) but with caucasian hair dreads are oily anyways and wax is only good for placing back the little hairs that like to stick out:)

13. sweetdreadlover

14. sweetdreadlover

why not practice what is preached and have an open mind to anything someone suggests(including wax?)

15. A-Shwa-Child

A-Shwa-Child Member

Yea thats a major problem with me :p...

Also Branchs are evil when your walking through a forest... >:|

16. sweetdreadlover

lol...i had a tree branch get suck in my hair last week....talk about painful!

17. A-Shwa-Child

A-Shwa-Child Member

Lol its just funny... Like me and my friends would be walking through the forest. And you well hear me cursing, or screaming about the damn branchs.

18. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Sunglasses. On bright sunny days like we've had lately, I always wear sunglasses out. And then when I go inside somewhere, it feels too dark and I'll just subconciously push the glasses up on my head. Usually by the time I want to put them back on the little nose pads are all totally tangled up in the roots of my front dreads. Ouch!

The tree branch thing is funny - actually one of my favorite things is when I'm out in the woods for days or weeks on end and my dreads will pick up all sorts of leaves, flowers, twigs, etc. the whole time(Like vel-cro, they are!). LOL... I love it! my dreadies are very clean, but they still pick up tiny pieces of my surroundings all the time. It makes me feel like I'm eternally carrying around everywhere I've ever been!

19. A-Shwa-Child

A-Shwa-Child Member

I had a button stuck to my hair, one morning. It was one of my most painful mornings, trying to figure out how to unbutton my hair. I got frustrated and just riped it out... Also vel-cro is evil to, I noticed that you hair starts to stick to velcro :p

20. Morning Myst

Morning Myst Member

Beware of girlfriends (or boyfriends) that fall asleep on your dreads. It's painful if you then try to turn or move...:eek: