Things We Like and things to beware of

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Yup.. i don’t recommend that root rubbing technique.. it breaks your hair and often weakens the root. and if it dose not it makes them form very different from the natural knotting process. ((many like that look though, “Perfectly round and uniform”)) if you leave your hair it will be fine. as for your ends.. well many many different methods but all in all if u leave them maybe after 8 year of 10 years the ends will dread up
    Here are some pictures are some dread grown from root all with root rubbing.

2. moistgreenorganic

moistgreenorganic Member

bad bad wax, but worst= bleached hair(damaged) and wax (more damage) and artificial knotting (more damage!) yeah people, let your dreads grow on their own. All my hair that was bleached eventually broke off bit by bit,(thankfully, now I only have healthy locks) so yeah dont stress them out and let them do their thang.

3. snelio37

snelio37 Member

bleaching=bad? i heard bleaching=good. easier to dread... well, it makes sense too, beacuse the cuticle will be open and easier to knot. but what do i know?

chicago? chicago!

4. moistgreenorganic

moistgreenorganic Member

i really think bleaching is a bad idea. It's basicly drying your hair out as much as possible and when you're dreading, you dont use conditioner, so that hair becomes really brittle and can break off or fall out.

5. moistgreenorganic

moistgreenorganic Member

i think we need to start promoting natural dreading- letting your hair do its thang is better than going for a perfect styled look. natural dreads are much more interesting and amazing, especialy once they've aged a bit. besides, having dreads is suposed to be an expression of natural beauty, not a fashion statement or whatever- thats what i've realized over the past few years. i started my locks from braids and i liked them a while but they started torturing me. seriously. i regret not growing them naturaly everytime i see a head with amazing phatty locks. think long term and about yourself before you decide to go buy an overpriced dreadlock kit and mangle your hair. the answer to what you need to grow dreads is nothing but time, love, and simplicity.

6. RobbyRedLocks

RobbyRedLocks Member

what the....?? what is a 'dready-kit'??? I mean I started hearing about them maybe 3 years ago - someone says to me "wow did you start those witha kit"
    my reply was just "whaaaaat"
    this cat had 'nice' dreadys - ya know salon tressa-sauve-may dreads - all looked the same - all uniform - all the same size blahblah
    he told me he just used a kit.....like a week ago - he's probably a 'sleezy bald head" this week - maybe so maybe not
    any-ol'-wayz.....my locks a all different sizes & shapes....growing since Autumn 1997 and very natural - no short cuts-they looked like complete Sh*t for YEARS!!
    as for my curiosity - what comes in a kit???
    Wax??/ rubber bands??/ a Time Traveling device???????
    [​IMG]

7. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I have no idea what a dready kit is...all I know is that people that use them are getting dreads for the wrong reason. I started my dreads over 9 months ago...and they look...what I will call...interesting. I would assume what comes in a kit is everything we tell people NOT to use...wax, rubberbands, a comb, etc....

8. moistgreenorganic

moistgreenorganic Member

haha a time traveling device... i guess all that shit like dancer said is in it- a comb and wax and shit to fuck up your hair. grrrrrr! it makes me mad that people actually sell those and make money from it!

9. elemental666

elemental666 Member

Dreadheadhq kit:
    http://www.dreadheadhq.com/clickcartpro/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?pg=prod&ref=27

Knottyboy kit:
    http://www.knottyboy.com/shop/dread_kits/

I used the dreadhead kit and I don't like the wax. The lock peppa (which isn't included) is some nice stuff, I use it when i palmroll now and it helps tighten loose spots and when rubbing the roots. Their activator gave me the itchies... All in all, if I had it to do over I'd just buy the shampoo and lock peppa, wash with the shampoo and dunk my head in the pool. Then section and backcomb (using peppa when only when needed).

I'm getting some stuff drom Knottyboy and will post my results when I have some.

10. KnottyLocks808

KnottyLocks808 Member

wax is evil

11. OhLordImgonnaDie

OhLordImgonnaDie Member

=\ what's wrong with rubber bands? =O

12. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Rubberbands get swallowed up in dreads...not only that, but it can "break" your hair...like a ponytail holder does...it makes those hairs weak and can break them.

I did mine naturally...no backcombing, no sectioning, no rubberbands, no wax...nothing. I just stopped using conditioner and stopped using a comb.

Not saying that the way I did it is better, I'm just saying it's more natural and a more rewarding experience FOR ME.

13. OhLordImgonnaDie

OhLordImgonnaDie Member

I never use conditioner and haven't brushed my hair in probably a month, and I dont' have dreads, I guess it's just my hair, what if I jsut used the rubberbands to section, then took them out after I backcomb?

14. moistgreenorganic

moistgreenorganic Member

it takes a lot longer than a month

15. forest420

forest420 Senior Member

if u want dreads OHLORDIMGONNADIE dont use rubberbands. or only keep the rubberbands in for maybe a couple days. backcomb first, then put the rubberbands in. If u u do it the other wya it will rip ur hair and brake it and it would get all stuck in the bands. i used the rubberbands but then i read somewere that it doesnt really help except to section it off. I mean you want ur hair to dread and matt up right? then why would u have rubberbands holding the hair? so i took mine out after two days hah and they are fine. good luck. I LOVE WHEN PEOPLE GET NEW DREADS!

16. knottyinthemaritimes

knottyinthemaritimes Member

I like knotty boy if u got the money the shampoo is awsome and lasts for a very long time( i have had dreads for 6 weeks and i wash about twice a week and theres still like three quaters of a bar left, they also have liquid) . the cooling spray stops the itches and make them smell like a fresh minty breath. i use their dreadband to keep my dreads outta my face while i sleep. thats about all i used and its great.... and ALL of their stuff is ALL natural unlike another company i know *cough*dreadheadHQ*cough*

17. SaraiLoruhamah

SaraiLoruhamah Member

WAX+RUBBERBANDS=MOLD!!!!!!!!! please please please dont do it

18. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

I dunno, I've bleached my dreads like, three times and color stripped it once, and they're perfectly fine.

19. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

knotty boy!! all the way man

20. knottyinthemaritimes

knottyinthemaritimes Member

*high 5's* ya man