Things We Like and things to beware of

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

Promote your shops, favorite products and methods here...

2. Earthy Mama

Heres a good spot to post things you've tried that didn't go over so well. Maybe you have a horror story you'd like to tell so others can be more careful. Whatever the situation, heres a good place to vent about it.

3. PeaceBabe

PeaceBabe Senior Member

wax. beware of wax

4. Earthy Mama

lol! yes! beware of the evil wax! *booo* ;)

5. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Avoid wax at ALL costs. and keep your dreadies CLEAN!!! i hate it when people talk about not washing the dreads being good for them.

6. TheSkaEffect

TheSkaEffect Member

just wondering whats wrong with wax, havent yet dreaded my hair but I hear alot of people who are against using wax.

7. knottynikko

knottynikko Member

Dr bronners www.drbronner.com i think its the best shampoo i have used and the container has some very funny writing on it.all one god faith,moral abc,all one all one .

www.enchantedsoapworks.com i havnt used there stuff but i do here very good things.

:)

8. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

all incence seems to stick to dreadie's and stay for a while.. and this my friends is some of the finest!!!!!:p

9. ArtLoveMusic

^^^^^^^^^^^^ i second that :)

10. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

WELL.... read this from another post

9So i suggested not to use wax)
    Originally Posted by Electricbuddha
    Awsome! I'd suggest not to use any wax any more though!, they may not look as "smooth" and "clean" but you may regrette useing wax in the future....... i'd really look into it further, how long have u had them for now?

(they asked why?... so i posted thpictures im posting on this post)

(then miami said this)

(sooo i Said This)

(Wax is a bad desision)

11. ArtLoveMusic

It hinders the dreading process. The dreads need to be able to move, the hairs have to naturally move about to lock to eatch other, knott up. Wax gumps them all together preventing this and just sticking the hair down giving the impression of dreads. In the long run the wax builds up and will go mouldy.

12. phishcourtney04

phishcourtney04 Member

i have really, really thick dreads, and i thought that maybe if i cut the huge ones in half then i could help to thin them out a little (if that makes any sense). so i took the scissors to one and cut it in half, and it just fell apart and i lost like 3/4 of the hair in that dread. so ah i guess my point is to NOT cut dreads in half! (haha you live & learn)

13. TheSkaEffect

TheSkaEffect Member

Allright, I've decided that I'm gonna dread my hair and was just wondering if someone could give me a good list of products that I'll need. (Too many dread websites seem like all they care about is selling their stuff.. and bein' on a tight budget I dont wanna get anything I dont need)

Thanks Alot
    ~Matt

14. Earthy Mama

Welcome Matt

Heres a basic things you will need list.

a comb with strong close teeth. Like one of those lice combs(not a used one! lol) or a pet's flea brush kind of comb (also not used before! lol)

A spray bottle which you can fill with half sea salt half lemon juice. Spray this on your hair to help keep your dreads locking.

A bar of soap. No fragrance or additives in it though because the soap build-up will make you itch too bad. Try the Dr. Bonner's soap someone at the top mentioned.

A stocking for putting your dreads in at night so they stay together. Yup a stocking... just the regular tan kind your mom might wear, lol.

Please remeber though, wax makes your dreads look nice but it will make you itch and slow down the actual dreading so don't use it!

15. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Hello Matt

You will also need

-Time.

-Patients

And as for the comb.. i have found the perfect one... its a flea comb from a pet store. metal teeth.... Its small black does not have a protruding handle.
    but even so you will go through more then one comb. the teeth bend and break off and get all mangled.. iv gone through about 5 or 6 over a few heads I have done up

16. TheSkaEffect

TheSkaEffect Member

Allright, thank you so much!

17. ArtLoveMusic

hehe yea RIP DONT CUT!!

18. goldmund

goldmund Member

that waxed dread was gross. you know what's grosser than gross, tour kids with bad cases of lice, with no ability or desire to treat, where they have to cut their head as bald as they can, and you see all the red bumps and rash toward the back of their neck. Gross. Then they give you a hug. eeek.
    haven't seen that for a while, since i now live in germany, but ones and ones new to dreads--wash your hair, it helps it dread faster! Just don't brush it! Also there are ways to get rid of lice, even without chems, you don't have to chop unless it gets bad.

19. lisabeeny

lisabeeny Member

DEFINITELY no wax. I speak from experience. I had beeswax put on my roots back in October - was told this was the way to go - and I have only just got it all out! It was HORRIBLE. Loads of dust and dirt stuck to it, it gooped my roots up so they couldn't move freely....really disgusting.

I don't use anything on them now. So some of them are 'fluffy' looking, and I have funny bumps in a few? So WHAT? I feel so much better now, safe in the knowledge that the only thing I have on my head is HAIR (well...and the odd bead of course :) )

20. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

wax will also make a head more prone to mold...as waxy hair wont dry as fast.