Things to help you live longer

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by FreshDacre, Aug 15, 2009.

1. knottygrl

knottygrl Member

I believe that most people should avoid gluten and lactose, but hey that's just me.

2. TurquoiseRose

TurquoiseRose Member

This post is so incredibly rad. I cannot express.

I think we should prefreeze meat though, to kill the worms. GRAINS ARE EVIL!!!!

Die bagel, die.

3. TurquoiseRose

TurquoiseRose Member

1. Raw milk is good for you. Ants actually raise and milk aphids in nature. They drink their milk. You tube it. Shabang.

2. Grains have to be treated pretty extensively before consumption because otherwise the phytic and oxalic acid with give you friggin' kidney stones. Grains, sure...basically evil, unless you sprout them, soak them, ferment them, on and on.... Even then, they shouldn't be the basis of the diet. Grains usually cause inflammation in the gut, along with sugar. Carbohydrates generally rot your teeth. Rot your teeth= rot your body.
    Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon, yo.

3. Smartest animals in the animal kingdom ALL eat meat. The more meat and cholesterol, the smarter. Your brain is MADE of cholesterol. Stop eating meat and fish, degrade your brain. Liver is the the only usuable for of Vit. A. Vitamin A and Zinc, as well as in balance with copper, fight infection and prevent bad bacteria. Factory farming? Disrespectful of the animal's spirit. Puts toxins in the food. Animal cruelty, wrong. Human cruelty? Not eating meat and getting anxiety disorders from a lack of amino acids.

4. Grains: raise LDL (bad) cholesterol that clog your heart and triglycerides. Meats: Raise HDL (good) cholesterol that help you solve complex math equations (oooooooo).

4. TurquoiseRose

TurquoiseRose Member

5. Raw milk: does not cause phlegm because enzymes are intact. Reduces ones changes of getting tuberculosis. Raw milk is expensive. Me? Sad. HAHAHA!

5. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

The plan from my end is to be super vigilant about reading ingredients lists and unless you're not yet an adult avoid milk and milk products like the plague. Meat sources should be mainly fish and fowl- beef and pork only very occasionally. Try to verify how the meat sources you eat were raised because an unnatural diet as that will adversely affect the nutritional value of the product. Go organic- no corn or other crop subject to being a GMO (thanks, Monsanto).

I strongly believe that much of what forces people to medicate in order to maintain "normal" blood pressure, cholesterol, and sugar starts with diet. I'd wager that most chronic conditions- including neurological and auto-immune are instigated by diet. Cancer is to me a no-brainer.

6. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Raw milk sounds gross. But I know drinking milk your whole life is very good for you. Just keeps building those bones.
    The pretty much only con syrup I drink is arizona, damn that stuff is just too good!

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

This I very much disagree with. Milk is for very young and growing bodies. Adults who drink milk and eat its products (cheese, ice cream, butter, etc.) are a cardiologists cash cow long term.

8. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

It keeps your bones working their best if you keep drinking it. At least thats what I plan on doing so agree to disagree ;)

9. TurquoiseRose

TurquoiseRose Member

10. TurquoiseRose

TurquoiseRose Member

Yes. And excessive lactose is a sugar. Enzymes are needed to break it down. Pasteurized milk is seriously bad.

Carbs= sugars.

11. TurquoiseRose

TurquoiseRose Member

No sugar in butter. Lactose-free. Carb free. Mmmm.

12. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

At 20 you still likely have a vary fast metabolism so the adverse effect (cholesterol and plaque build-up in coronary arteries) wouldn't yet be in evidence but the older one gets the slower ones metabolism becomes (the body for all intents and purposes has stopped growing) and the more one stores as fat and arterial build-ups the unprocessed fats that one ingests.

At my work, our health insurance pays for the VNA (Visiting Nurses Association) to periodically come in and perform screenings for blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol. At that time I had what was generally considered a normal, healthy diet and I worked out (still do). I had been in a slow bulking phase and was supplementing my diet with whey protein, which I mixed with a glass of milk. My blood pressure and cholesterol both measured borderline high. I was told that it wasn't anything of immediate concern but something I needed to keep an eye one nonetheless. I was assured that at my age, this was something I needed to accept as a possible ongoing thing that would eventually require some degree of medical maintenance (code for prescription drugs).

Over the next year I cut all dairy out and the next annual screening showed slightly better blood pressure and far healthier cholesterol (perfectly normal according to the administering nurse). I have been subject to a number of screenings since and my levels have stayed low- with the BP continuing to trend downward.. I do eat eggs regularly but no longer even cook in butter... olive oil only.

My sense is that the promoted "benefits" from adults consuming milk- which is formulated for young growing bodies are endorsed by entities whose sole purpose is to make money off milk sales.

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

14. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

I am pretty sure I have had a doctor tell me that it is good to drink your whole life.

15. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

I respect that and cannot bring myself to say that you are definitely wrong- hence the fact that I express my opinion as such-- but my skepticism is pretty firm about the medical profession and about such entities (pharmacies, drug manufacturers, etc.) whose primary purpose is to make money- once the idealist Hippocratic idealism bullshit is put aside.

I think it's useful to try imagining how one might feed oneself without the benefit of a food industry and without any local entities like farms that would provide food for numbers of people- imagine how one might fend for oneself living off the land... hunting and gathering- deriving sustenance from the native plants and animals and having to work daily for it.

One thing you would NOT see would be adult humans suckling on cattle. It's only humans who drink milk past childhood and I don't hear too much about brittle bones in the animal kingdom- and I suspect that not only are there other dietary sources of calcium besides dairy, but that calcium intake as the sole means of preserving bone density is a gross oversimplification of the issue.... propaganda meant to keep the dairy business profitable.

16. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

most doctors do not have any training in nutrition. a "good" medical course may have 2 days of nutritional instruction based on that crap food pyramid that has made everyone obese. :( most doctors are good for a) ordering tests b) prescribing pHarma or c) giving a diagnosis. it's up to you to take care of your own health.

so if a doc tells you to drink milk, i would have to wonder why they would do that. the dairy industry puts big bucks into advertising. and yet industrialized countries with high dairy consumption also have the highest rates of osteoporosis.

that alone tells me that there are better places to get calcium. green leafies, bone broths, nuts, sesame, flax, etc. but not milk~even raw milk (which i grew up drinking) has high levels of phosphorus which actually ends up drawing calcium Out of our bodies. the garden of eating by matesz has a great section about calcium

ps. sally fallon is fat. google image her. fermenting and soaking grains isnt enough. they are fattening.

17. TurquoiseRose

TurquoiseRose Member

This made me laugh hard, thanks,
    hahahaha! Over-nourished, eh?

Gotta watch dem dere carbohydrates....

18. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

- cannabis
    - legalised cannabis
    - cannabis related t - shirts
    - pop tarts

these are the things that keep us alive.

the imaginary hippy.

19. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

fuck double post

20. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Yoga
    Cycling
    Lowered stress
    A glass of red wine every now and then
    Regular sanity checks- making sure you're thinking clearly and have healthy thought patterns