Things to help you live longer

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by FreshDacre, Aug 15, 2009.

1. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Yeah i am soo skinny and i work at a bbq people tell me i need more meat on my bones lol.

2. LostOne

LostOne Member

Milk...really think about it...it defies logic that we should ingest milk. It does not defy logic that we eat meat. Meat-eating is an obviious and observable fact of the natural world. Not so with milk. Animals, like humans, produce milk for the benifit of thier young. It is specially designed to have exactly what that animal needs for that specific time of its life, infancy. Once the child/young animal grows to a certain point they stop drinking the milk and eat a natural diet. So why would humans think that the milk created for an animals young would be beneficial? It doesn't make sense.

3. Moving_cloud

Moving_cloud Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What kind of food helps you live longer and healthier ?

Lately I've started to eat things that grow in my immidiate surrounding - wild edible plants - and this makes it so I feel drawn to supermarket food less and less, including the exotic teas, herbs, and potent drinks I've seen - expensive stuff - I guess I gotta live still VERY long to be able to afford it :D

So, for instance I believe rose hips are great for one's health - the ones that grow within your living space next to your front door. I refuse to believe that the most healthy food ever is one that has to be shipped all around the world (this applies for medicinal herbs as well).

Have some great foods growing here, like garlic, onions (until the hedgehog eats them), elderberries, nuts, apples, juniper berries, dandelion, nettles -

I think it's more about what rings good inside you, and realizing you feel drawn to a certain food - like, you 'sense' it or dream about it - rather than going with the information you get, which sometimes may very well be co-created by marketing strageties. Big part also is the food you need to cross off your list instead.

This one may be even longer.

4. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

Inspiring, thanks. :) It helps to see people persuing this. My willpower sucks and my body doesn't enjoy my inability to settle on a good diet but we've got a vegetable garden and I've been trying to cut out a lot of crap in my supermarket rounds.

I think the best point you hit on was how much a good diet varies from person to person. Of course, there are universal truths: A greasy, cheesy pizza (mmm..!) is bad. A fresh, leafy salad is good. But if there was one key diet then it would have been revealed and developed to be convenient and tasty and we'd all be happy, healthy people by now! But that's not the case. You can read books and articles for advice to help on your own journey but the best ones are going to avoid laying out a single regime. I know very little about this but I know for a fact that our bodies are all different. Our alkaline levels, our ailments and our history with foods/medicines separate us and the key to getting healthy is getting to know ourselves and being kind to ourselves! I still want to give all due credit to helpful websites and literature.

5. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

6. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

moving cloud im sorry but it is indeed a fact that a variety of all the above foods mentioned will provide your body with all the nutrients and help you live better whether or not it is expensive. The solution is to become a grower of all these things, but that takes some work.
    Maccabyrd, you keep downtalking milk, but you seem to love pizza, did you know cheese is a very similar form of milk? Same with yogurt, but i hate yogurt that shits nap. Cheese is the best food ever though, but you can't diss milk if you love cheese.

7. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

I truly believe the things I've said about dairy but I never claimed to be a vegan. I have said in several other threads that I'm trying but it's difficult. I do love pizza! I love cheese and I like Oreos in a nice, tall glass of milk. But I feel gross afterwards and logic tells me humans were never really intended to drink/eat it. I've not been a hypocrite. I've just said what I think.

8. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Milk and Cheese have been used for ever... mexican's have used cheese and milk as a main part of their diet.. and they are often very healthy and live long... there is no doubt that dairy products are great for long healthy life

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

avoid alcohol..

10. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

indeed... for one.. our liver does not convert carbs from alcohol.. they go straight to the fat reserves.. secondly.. it is poison for the liver

11. Stabby

Stabby Member

Things to help you live longer:

Antioxidants
    Nutrients
    Anything that strengthens immune and organ function (ie, herbal extracts and tinctures, fasting, anti-inflammation agents)
    Physical and spiritual exercise
    A low glycemic diet
    Avoiding the consumption of pernicious substances
    A good acid/alkaline balance.

Yep.

Also for those who think that alcohol is unhealthy, it's only unhealthy in large amounts and if your liver isn't. The liver has the remarkable ability to handle moderate amounts of alcohol and heal itself. If you take good care of your liver and keep it strong, there isn't anything wrong with light drinking. Getting excellent nutrition, exercise, and using liver strengthening herbs like milk thistle and dandelion root are all that's needed.

12. neone

neone Member

Sounds like a pretty expensive list there FreshDacre. Heres something to think about though. If what you're doing right now is so fantastic for your health, why are people telling you that you 'look too skinny'. Basicly they are telling you that you look sick. Whatever you are doing right now must not be working for you and you might want to rethink some things with an open mature mind.

13. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

People that said that (2 people 1 year ago) go to the gym literally every day, and we were talking about how big our muscles are lol. It would be nice to have even bigger muscles but i couldn't complain about my body at all otherwise. I feel good always, never get sick, and feel like i'm gonnah live to 100. I obvously could not possibly eat any better.

14. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

If you don't believe me about how i think regarding food, then i don't care, but don't come into my thread and tell me that i'm wrong when i have done extensive research on getting the best nutrients on the planet. All i know is by doing this, i make my world heaven, and i subconscously feel superior to everybody that doesn't eat as amazing stuff as me. (which is almost everybody.)

15. neone

neone Member

You could not possibly have tried so many different ways of eating to make a claim such as 'I could not possibly eat any better'. A mentality like that is going to cause you much problems. You need to accept that there is always room for improvement no matter what it is that you are doing, even when you think you have reached the top, if you're not still looking for ways to improve then you have stagnated.

16. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Yeah i know theres always a better way of doing things. That's not my point. The point is that I'm satisfied with the way i eat, so i don't care about eating "as healthy as possible" Because when you have these things in your diet keeping your health optimal, you don't have to worry about other things you eat as long as it's under control.
    I'm not implying these are the healthiest of the superfoods, i am just giving a basic idea for the best kinds of food.

17. neone

neone Member

Extensive research? haha are you kidding me? YOU havent researched shit. You have just read companies magical advertisments and 'amazing lab results!' claims and you bought it and they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Do you really believe that in order to be healthy you need magic berries from the roof-tops of the amazon jungle? Get out of here.. haha.

After my 'extensive research', I wouldn't touch half of the things that you have on your list. Funny how that works.. you just read peoples bullshit on the internet and believe what you want to believe.

Wait wait.. you think you're superior to everybody else because you eat good food....... but then go and turn around and piss it all away by eating bad food because you think its ok because the good balances it out? haha.. keep telling yourself that.

18. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Actually I have read all the different sources, not from any "amazing lab result bs" but actual studies done by real intelligent people. Just type any of those things in my list into google, you will get nothing but pages upon pages of info describing every food in detail about what benefits it has for the body.
    From the looks of it you don't know anything. I actually go to a health food store a mile away that has everything that i want, so i don't order anything.
    You think what you want, and i'll know what i'll know lol.

19. neone

neone Member

I have eaten the way you are right now for years. Im telling you that you're being scammed and there are better diets out there for your health. True good health isnt something that you can go to the health food store and purchase in a bottle.

20. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Ok thank you for your concern, i will be keeping an open mind and accept your opinion. However, i do know that the more of this stuff i consume, the better of a mood i am in and the better i feel and the easier i can think it becomes. So if you ate like me, then i don't know what went wrong for you mabey you diddn't exercise enough or drink enough water but i know i'm gonnah be happy until i die. Everything is best in variety so eat as many different things as you can and you win. just remember the basics you need every day: FRUITS VEGGIES AND WHOLE GRAINS