Things that will be 20 yrs old in 2019

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Dec 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I got my first blowjob that week.

hotwater likes this.
  2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

now i wish i was slightly younger.

ok, i already wished that, but now i have another reason.

i don't know that it's necessarily wrong to do those things, but in my mind it comes across kind of like settling on the first good enough option that you're presented with rather than seeing what is really out there.

plus, i do come from a really small town, so in that case it just intensifies the settling thing for me. if you grew up in a city of 4 million where there's tons of people to meet and things to do and whatnot, then i can see staying there. but marrying one of the 20 opposite sex people you graduated with and staying in a town where there is literally not one entertainment option beyond drinking in a barn, i really feel like you're missing out on a lot of life.

YouFreeMe likes this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I settled in the same town, well sort of. I grew up in one small town 30 minutes outside of the city and now I live in another small town 10 minutes outside of the city. But the city itself isnt remotely the same city it was when I was growing up, which is why I decided to come back after a brief hiatus and to stay here. i've had friends come to visit who have been away for a while and they're shocked at the changes.

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

like i said above, it's different if you're from the city. there's actually opportunities for you to do new things and meet new people at home in that case. it's the people who refuse to ever leave their small village in the middle of nowhere that drive me crazy, and for some reason it actually seems to happen more in those small villages than in actual decent cities. or maybe it's just more noticeable.

5. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

I'm not from a small town. I married my high school sweatheart but I dated other guys before him. I don't feel like I settled. I can honestly say I'm still very happily married after nearly 20 years. I do understand it doesn't always happen this way though. Some people marry young and in the process of growing up they grow apart. We've worked hard to have a solid relationship and grow together. Just my 2 cents.

guerillabedlam and Meliai like this.
  6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

at my age, 20 years ago is almost too RECENT to remember. lol.
    20 years ago the world was going to end in another year.
    you know, because a great big even number, like gosh wow.
    but also because the operating systems and most business software at the time, only used the last to digits of the year.
    and people assumed all sorts of things based on that. mostly just because they thought it was scary fun to do.
    i'd been married less then a decade and my wife seemed to be in reasonably good health.
    i think we had just moved out of her apartment, and into the real house we shared until she passed away ten years later.
    i was still using auto-cad to make pictures and hadn't yet discovered blender, which is much more suitable for what i do with it.
    the last car i've ever owned, an amc hornet wagon of indeterminate vintage, i had sold for scrap, a couple of years earlier,
    about a year after we got married. it had become a pain to keep running and i got no joy from driving in cities anyway.
    so i changed my drivers license for a state i.d., so i would never have to drive in a damd city again.

now of course, i'm stuck in a damd city, that while it has fine transit in it, there is a heart crushing deficiency
    of non-reserved seat public transportation out of it. stuck with having to live in one,
    because of i'd have to start all over with driving to have transportation of my own.

and i'm really no enthusiest of cars, and less of cars in cities. but it would enable me to live in a smaller town,
    and drive to a larger one for things the local stores don't have.

where i was living 20 years ago had a huge discount technology store called fry's,
    and a model train store called railroad hobbies.
    (last i heard, both still exist, but for almost ten years now, i've lived more then a hundred miles away, and no car)

my mom was still alive too, though she was no longer living independently, and she outlived my wife by six months.
    she had been up until her 87th birthday, after that she still lived to 91.

the county i was living in ran little busses to surrounding smaller towns,
    one of which connected with the little busses from the next county over in one of them.
    i think if there's one thing i mess from 20 years ago its that.

and before the county started running them, the grey dog had served those routes.

that and even though reno nv is a bigger town then rosevelle cal,
    no train or really significant and affordable computer, stores.

of course people still shopped at brick and mortar retailers, instead of buying everything on line.
    and 20 years ago, ten years before i moved up here, reno did have train stores.
    three of them!

one which also sold 8-bit computers and role playing game stuff in the 80s,
    still exists, but now only sells role playing games and minature figures
    for role playing games and a very limited range scale scenery stuff.

7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

That's awesome, I feel like after about 25 years old or so, the baggage starts to pile up and that youthful type of love is harder to maintain.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think its just about 20, if not 21, years, that i've been on hip forums. mostly random thought.
    it would have to have been sometime around 1998 or 99, that i first joined.

there are tons of crap i'm always thinking of as relatively new, that turns out "oh hell, it was really THAT long ago".
    (which having seen my father and other people who were older then me, go through that, i guess i'm not entirely surprised to be experiencing myself)
    20 years, hell some of the things i remember being new, when i was already an adult, are more like 50. which being 70, means that i when i was 20, WAS 50 years ago.

9. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

themanx: "when i was 20, WAS 50 years ago."

And the memories are to complete and vivid, like just yesterday. Unlike the real yesterday which I hardly remember.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i still mostly pay attention, although there are some things i no longer try to keep track of, such as popular music and drama.

for me, i think the biggest thing now, was how we were on the brink of world peace in 1999 and 2000, and how we threw that out with the bath water when 2001 happened.
    20 years ago i'd been married for around four years, and had no idea my wife would be dead of c.o.p.d. less then a decade later.
    (and my mother died six months after that.) i haven't had an really close friends since then. i've remained interested in the same things that have always interested me,
    but human social relationships not so much. not against, just not interested in the effort of trying to form them. not sure why exactly. i've never had a lot of friends,
    but up until them i've always had one or two. now most of the people i 'know', almost all really, are on line.

20 years ago i think i was just getting into using blender instead of autocad. which has turned out to work better for what i do with it.
    20 years ago we had i think just moved out of my wife's old apartment, into a whole house for less then that apartment was renting,
    that even had a little bit of a place for a garden, and i even had a train i built myself and a couple of little model houses in it.

i wasn't able to afford to stay there until a year later when my pension finally started coming in, that was 8 years ago, almost 9 now.

20 years ago i could still name at least one living science fiction author for every letter of the alphabet.
    (and probably had it least one book, usually in paperback form, from each of them. today i don't even know who most of the authors i would like are.)
    (wish i did too. i've "read the print off of" most of the books i still have.)

11. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

anyone got any 20 year old daughters? :innocent:

13. Bicaptain My Captain

Got a 40 plus daughter. Does that count?

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

that depends, does she have a daughter?

Irminsul likes this.
  15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My time on this-here site.

16. Bicaptain My Captain

that depends, does she have a daughter?"
    No, a son.

17. Gangster19

Gangster19 Members

Wow....she could go topless and no one would notice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.