things for arizona?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by loveflower, Jan 26, 2005.

1. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

we're going to be planting a garden in our backyard, and i was wondering what kind of vegetables/flowers/...i guess that it :D would be good for phoenix? right now the temperatures are pretty high (for january :D) in the 70s, but in the summer it'll get up to 112-14.. they'd be in the shade though, so that'd be a lot cooler, especially if we kept them watered im sure. help me out here guys :D

2. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

when I lived Kingman,AZ people would plant different types of squash, spinach, lettuce & radishes.
    Kingman is northwest of Phoenix up on I-40

3. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

ooh i love squash :D butternut squash.. mmm mmm! love my lettuce too :D :D

4. corrita

corrita Member

Get the book, Desert Gardening by Brookbank. When I lived in Yuma I grew everything by planting in reversed raised beds and that book will tell you how. Now I live about 70 miles north/west of Phoenix in Mayer and due to health, disabilities and age, I am trying containers and individual sqare foot sort of gardening which I have put down a large tarp that I will edge with large rocks and flower pots, all the vegies are arranged on the tarp with benifical herbs and marigolds growing in the pot with the vegies. Next month when my check comes in I plan on buying cedar chips to cover the tarp spaces which will bring the garden together...still hard work fo me but it will be so interesting to see how it works!

5. DTNDesign

DTNDesign Guest

Arizona can grow any plants, it just depends on how much money you want to spend in order to fertilize the ground enough to grow it, and how much you want to spend on extra water!

Cabbage, Lettuce, Watermelon, and Honey Dew are some great plants and doesn't require a lot of maintenance! Good luck to you with your ventures!

I'm in Phoenix by the way! Good to see other people from Arizona on here!