thin roots

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by phil316k, Feb 18, 2009.

1. phil316k

phil316k Banned

ok normally i just let my dreads do what they want, but the 2 at the front of my head seem to be connected to my scalp by only a few hairs, it literaly feels like they are hanging on by a thread! is there anything i can do to better anchor them? compared to the body of each dread the root just gets thinner and thinner the closer it is to my scalp... im worried they are gonna fall off :(

2. ThePmiester

ThePmiester Member

Mine have done that alot :( But I have noticed they slowly have thickened out, you can tell the natural hair growth knotting from the backcombing as it gets tighter & tighter towards the roots!
    Hold out :)

3. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Do you not have any of those baby wispy hairs you could dreadball and poke into the roots?

4. shadygrov

shadygrov Member

I wouldn't do that. That will only further damage the hair. Just let the new growth lock up on it's own. I have had several do the same and definitely seem to thick over time. I won't worry about it too much, just don't do anything that will cause breakage.

5. amybird

amybird Senior Member

How would it cause damage?

6. ThePmiester

ThePmiester Member

I assume he means, if your poking more hair into the roots, you stand the chance of breaking the already sparce hairs left.

7. amybird

amybird Senior Member

I just kinda meant gently pushing some fuzzed up baby hairs in amongst the unknotted root growth... dunno, could be ok?

8. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

i agree with amy I ve always made a litle dread knot of roots and popped it in.
    Never had a problem with it and been doing it for 3 yrs :)

9. phil316k

phil316k Banned

i've just made a lil dread ball and tried poking it through, theres not enough hair to pass it through tho, the root is that thin.... it sucks :(

10. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

some of my dreads vare microthin
    when thety got to the ploint of nearly breaking at thed roots id let em combine with a neighbour, or even tie ir round a neuighbour

11. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

cant u post a pic then we can see if its really that bad?
    You may be stressing over nothing?

12. phil316k

phil316k Banned

i need to charge my camera phone, it died whilst taking pics dammit!

I've managed to wrap some hairs loose hairs around the 2 offending dreads at the root and rubbed them to get them tangled in, hopefuly that will be the start of something, I can't combine them into another dread as they are a bit far away form other dreads lol

13. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Hey Phil, just wondering how the root problem is going?

14. phil316k

phil316k Banned

i er ended up using a felting needle to get some of the loose hairs around the root attatched to the dread... they arent as thin, but still annoyingly thin.... and yes SE i know felting needles are evil blah blah lol

15. soaringeagle

pictures really would help
    but i can assure u that i have at leat 1 dread thats literaly this thin
    l
    and believe it or not thats 2 thin dreads combined..and is abouyt 5 feet long
    at 1 point the thinner of the 2 was barely holding together by 3 hairs so i tied it round the other and let em combine
    if you took some hemp and tied it round the base of the 2 you'd not only pull em together but force all the hairs between em to become part of the newly combined dread

16. phil316k

phil316k Banned

heres my delayed pics of thin rootage....

[​IMG]

the offending root is the one near my fingers

[​IMG]

another one bit clearer

17. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

the 2nd pic makes it look like itll be decent/stronger when it grows out a bit.. its just where it kinda pinches in a bit. i think itll be fine =]

18. amybird

amybird Senior Member

It definitely doesn't look even half as bad as I imagined :)All will be well

19. soaringeagle

i agree if anuything it looks like it maybe srtruggling from being fussed with too much
    theres plenty of fuzz around it from ripping that will either join back in and strengthen it, or will start dreading on theyre own and will easily congo with it
    i know your tempted to root rub or felt to try tio fix it but i think eitherr would do more dammage that u cant afford to do
    gather as much loose hair aeround the roots as u can, and wrap some hemp or wool round em to bind it to the thin roots (or do a tight lil peyote stitch, u can do it right on the dread so its tight round the part u want it tight round, and just 3-5 rows will be plenty to bind the hairs and not be so noticable)

20. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

using the felting needle was a bad idea... they're very damaging, especially for already thinning roots. I know it's been done already, but I wouldn't do it again if it were my hair. If anything, you're better off sewing the loose hairs in, in the future.