These damned fleas!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Alexandria, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

My cat had fleas pretty bad (he is indoor/outdoor but prefers to be out most of the time and rome around the woods in my backyard)....so before I went to get him frontline I brought him to the vet for a bath and flea dip so as to get rid of them first. Then they told me that I would have to wait two weeks after the flea dip before I could put the frontline on him....so I waited....and now it is two weeks later but he has a ton of fleas all over again! WTF! So here is my question....do I just put the frontline on him and expect that to get rid of all the fleas? (btw....how does that stuff work??????) or do I need to do something else to get rid of the fleas BEFORE putting on the frontline? ARG I hate fleas and ticks!!!!!! My poor baby is itching like crazy....what do I do?

2. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Just put the frontline on him. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think frontline works by either changing the animal's scent or taste so that the fleas are repelled. Or maybe it also kills the fleas, I'm not sure. But it is the only thing that works on my cats. Now, if you have fleas in the house that's a whole different story. For that I think what works best is borax powder. You sprinke the powder on your floors and stamp it down with a broom.

3. RainbowSquidney

RainbowSquidney Member

You can also try Revolution (if you haven't already bought the Frontline).

It isn't a pesticide, like Frontline, and it covers fleas, ticks, and ear mites. It will also take care of the fleas in your house, but not immediately.
    The Revolution gets into the cat's hair and when the cat sheds, the fleas in the carpet or furniture will die if they touch any of the shedded hair. It will also kill any of the fleas that jump on the cat. It may take a few days to see any results.

It may also cause some slight hair loss at the site of application because of the alcohol in the product, but it isn't serious.

Let us know how it turns out!

~Peace~

4. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

Revolution.....I had never heard of that one before. I will ask my vet about it ....Thank You both for your replies!!!!! :)

5. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Hi

Just found these flea busting tips in 'How it all vegan' and thought I'd share.

Brewers yeast: 1 tsp/ 1 tablet a day (some animals can be allergic to it so be careful)
    Garlic: mixed into their food
    Calendula ointment/oil: Acts as a repellant and soothes the itching.
    Vinegar: Mix a ratio of 1tsp to 4 cups water into their drinking water.

Hope your kitty gets better soon :)

TTFN
    Sage

6. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

cool. Thanks so much! :)