These are my ideas for my "new" room...

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by MicheDaisy, Aug 29, 2008.

1. MicheDaisy

MicheDaisy Member

Feel free to offer advice, input, or to take some of the ideas :D I'm sketching out my new room layout and these are the ideas I'm including right now. My room's small-medium size, with a good sized closet. I have two bearded dragons, which means two 55-gallon tanks in my room, but there's still plenty of space for what I want to do!

- Make a curtain to cover my closet out of multicoloured and wooden beads; the curtain will only come half-way down
    - Get a blacklight bulb and some blacklight posters to decorate the walls of my closet with
    - Fill the whole base of my closet with pillows (a pillow pit!) and possibly a bean bag chair if I can find one

- Take out my bedframe; try and build a wooden frame with wheels (my room is in the basement and susceptible to flooding unfortunately, but I want my bed close to the floor)
    - Find a plain white cotton bedsheet set and tie-dye it purple/yellow/red (I've enlisted my dad's help for this :p)
    - Lots of throw blankets, especially crochet (my mom used to crochet a lot in the 70's so hopefully they're still around somewhere!)

- Find a vintage-looking lamp stand for the corner of my room
    - A fancy incense burner :)
    - Rugs to cover the floor (right now it's tile)
    - Lots of funky candles

- Posters posters everywhere!! Beatles, Jimi, Mick Jagger, Pink Floyd, the Doors, Led, anything and everything I can find
    - Plaid curtains instead of my awkward looking blinds

- Start a vinyl record collection
    - On the wall beside my bed/below my window, I want to tack all of the record covers to the wall; hopefully eventually I'll cover the whole thing!
    - Wooden shelves for my books, vinyls, CDs, etc.

I think that's it for now :) it's a lot of stuff, and most of it is DIY. I hope to have it all done by Christmas. Let me know what you guys think, or if you have anything to add!

<3 michedaisy

2. pypes

pypes Hot alien babes

Why don't you dig a sump before you start if flooding is an issue. I'd also watch the any damp doesn't nuke your pillow pit.

When I'm not being pathologically practically minded I think it sounds really cool, I just wish I had the space to make my room a bit more personal.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Will you be storing clothes in the closet, too? I'm trying to envision the space/ intimacy in there.

once word of caution on the dye, red and purple can bleed like crazy over yellow. an option is to do the red and purple with some obvious separation, dry it, then come in and "paint" the remaining yellow dye.
    Purple and yellow can have some ugly breaks next to each other.
    the other option is making sure that bind is TIGHT between those colors, and allow the yellow to bleed to the edges of the darker colors.

i'd dye the curtains to match, as well.

4. hippy@heart75

hippy@heart75 Member

Sounds like your going to make a wonderful place for yourself. Have fun. I would love to see pics after you have finished.
    Blessings

5. lilpurp84

lilpurp84 Member

I cant tell you how much that sounds like my room.

If your gonna be doin blacklight stuff in there you should see if they got like glow in the dark tie dye and do a lil funky design on your curtains with that.

I would totally be doing a mural in there...like of mars or some crazy ass stuff like moons and solar systems....

umm.. what else...idk bout you but i like to hang fabric on my walls...cuz you can change it whenever you want and its like being in a different room...

Damn i should really take a picture of my room.

6. pepper67

pepper67 Member

for my records, i have bricks holding up a plank of wood. all my recods fits underneath and i have candles and incense on top. its pretty groovy and holds enough of the records and you can make it so it fits to your room.

7. lilpurp84

lilpurp84 Member

you could even make like a huge ass slipcover type deal to store the actual records themselves in...and just hang that on the wall...you can do like a cube.. 9 records alltogether.. i love circles...

8. lilpurp84

lilpurp84 Member

sry..forgot to mention that would be made out of clear plastic...obviously clear...

9. onexlove420

onexlove420 Member

awesomeee that's exactly what how i want my new room to look when i move soon!

10. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

I love your ideas!!!!

:D

Great work. Wish I could do something like this :)

11. gertie

gertie Senior Member

i used sea shells on the bottom and some throughout the hemp chord and wood beaded curtains i made. i liked bringing another natural element into the mix.

12. Posthumorously

Posthumorously Member

You could stick a bunch of thumb tacks in the wall and hang your records from them :)

13. earthshine420

earthshine420 Member

it sounds great! i want to do similar things like that to mine:p
    be sure to show a picture of the finished result!

goodluck!