there's nothing wrong with being a corporate whore

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by cerridwen, Jan 4, 2005.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

No, really, there isn't.

Let's look at it realistically... all these musicians and actors, for example, who exude a certain amount of hippyness (Micheal Stipe and Bono are a couple folks who come to mind atm) struggle for so long to finally get some success in the music industry, which is so hard to do. They finally get some recognition - so what's wrong with fighting for equal rights and freedom and staying vegan while wearing a big fat logo tatooed on your forehead?

Anyway, just a thought.

2. Karmic1

Karmic1 Member

But what's the point of wearing that big fat logo? What does it do for you? It's a waste of money, I guess that's all right if you have made it big, but even so... why not put your money to good use?

3. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

If a company... let's say Pepsi (for the sake of conversation) wanted to pay you $1000 to wear a tshirt with their logo while you walk down the red carpet to an awards show, would you? Then you can do whatever you want with the $1000, like buy a couple acres of rainforest or adopt a few whales or invest in a solar powered car or something... Corporate Whore put to good use.

4. syd

syd Banned

I like the way you think Cerridwen:D

5. Karmic1

Karmic1 Member

But can you think of anyone that has actually done that?

6. Maes

Maes Senior Member

but if pepsi is giving you 1000 bucks for wearing that T shirt I'm sure it's making a 5000 dollar profit out of it.
    just to a point.

7. jay

jay Member

Like most anything, moderation is the key
    even a bit of coprerit whoring can be good,
    ....But imagine the Pepsi rainforest reserve

8. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Can you think of anyone who hasn't?

How many 'activist' bands have their songs to movie soundtracks or tv commercials? Or lent their image to movies or tv shows or ads? They don't do that for free. And every celebrity that walks down any red carpet event is 'wearing someone' - some famous designer.

They're all walking advertisements.

9. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

exactly my point. Why else would they pay someone to wear the shirt?

10. NikkiLou6387

NikkiLou6387 ~peace~

because if you're wearing a logo, you're a sellout and a fake, unless it's some brand that is kynd. (too tired to think of any examples...sorry!)

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

similar discussion in my house this week.
    I saw Annie's Naturals has repackaged their mac and cheese into "cheddar twisties with chicken" or some such.
    I'm used to thinking of Annie's as a veg-friendly brand, now the basic instructions for the pasta are fine print under the omnivore directions. I popped off with "sell out"
    my spouse asked why it was selling out to get more people buying a natural product.
    I reminded him of his reaction when he learnde that Newman's Naturals (Newman's Own salad dressings, cookies, et al) was offered by Mc Donald's.
    our final point? hard call: Annies' move is slighty less grabby in our eyes, because we cannot forget nor forgive the land destruction for McD intended beef.
    As for the labels, there is a place for celebrity to promote causes. The problem becomes when the ideals are sold out for $$.

as for companies that help the environment, and forest protection in particular, see www.drbronners.com

12. Mui

Mui Senior Member

your talking about MUSIC

being a corporate whore is a bad thing... corporations use child labor, slave labor, and generally abuse their workers... whats so god damn good about supporting that? Even in the music industry, you are bound to be helping rich white men profit off the expense of hard working children who get paid pennies/week

13. water_dreamer

water_dreamer I

i agree with you, but im not sure if i agree with your reasons

14. water_dreamer

water_dreamer I

i mean in musicwise, and only if you use your power in a good way

15. intercityvisionary

intercityvisionary Member

The real problem is balancing your need with money and keeping your soul...money does have way of polluting and corrupting and it come to a point were you can't hide behind "I was just doing my job"...
    action caused reaction...what goes around does come around but, the problem is that it might come back to those you love instead of yourself...
    money and sex and power...more temptation most folks can handle...but, you only get one soul
    "come to the light side....we have pot"

16. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I own half of a corporation and I can verify it is a two hippie sweat shop, and I'm seasonal work!

17. Maes

Maes Senior Member

corporates show you and the world that even Bob Dylan has a price when he showes up at an underwear commercial.

It just discourages idealist people. It's the "Everyone has a price" rhetoric.

And forget about the rainforest saving bullshit.
    Even "saving rainforests" have become a fetish, a meta for the capitalist to manipulate.
    An urge to create a new type of customers that think they help save the environment. But in deed, they become pacified.

When you wear pepsi shirt and get 1000 dollars for that and invest it into saving forests, you're making your enemy grow stronger than you. With that money, now Pepsi can fuck up 5000 dollars worth forest.
    How will you overcome that? By buying Coca Cola? By wearing cola shirts? It's the same corporate shit you just cant evade.

18. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

That's some wonderful generality. Not all corporations do that. Granted some do, but they're in the minority.