There Was A Solar Eclipse On Monday, August 21St

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by tumbling.dice, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't know.

You guys re-tell the story any way you want.

I've already told how it came about.

Just let me know if you decide whether I'm a blithering idiot or not.

2. egger

egger Member

You have a point. Perhaps people get a little too occupied with the corona of the sun and miss out on what is happening on the earth with people and other lifeforms. People who have seen totality say that it looks unusual how a black cloud of darkness comes sweeping in from the horizon as totality approaches. It can be easily missed if one is looking at the sun with dark glasses which hide everything else. The horizon for 360 degrees is known to be lit up like twilight due to the limited width of the totality swath. It looks bizarre compared to the usual twilight seen in only one direction. The reaction of people is sometimes overlooked. It can be like a Woodstock moment if there is a large group of people together. Only about two minutes are available to experience all of this.

Buzz Aldrin once commented on going to the moon and yet missing the event. He was making a remark about returning to the earth and seeing all the people joyous and celebrating. He said to Neil, "We missed the whole thing!"

1 person likes this.
  3. egger

egger Member

I have #14 welding glasses which are said to be safe for looking at the sun. The LED matrix of a flashlight can be seen through the welding glass but it looks fairly dim. A 60W frosted incandescent household bulb can barely be seen through it. I've used two #10 welding glasses back to back and the sun looks almost too dim for viewing.

Welding glasses from a welding supplier come from known, reliable sources. They are also thick compared to cheap solar glasses, and the entire thickness contributes to the light reduction. The cheap solar glasses are prone to scratches, pinholes, and wrinkles, especially the older technology silver-colored ones that depend on a thin coating for light reduction. They also degrade over the years and are supposed to be discarded after three years.

2 people like this.
  4. deleted

deleted Visitor

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

hey guys ..i just heard some news that There Will Be A Solar Eclipse On Monday, August 21St

1 person likes this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

There's supposed to be a million + visitors in town, well in the general metro area this weekend

Think I'll stay home

7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The eclipse happens here on Monday 1:22 pm-3:58 pm.
    I am staying inside during that time and pulling the curtains. i will not let any animals out then, either. I am not buying glasses. making makeshift anything, and am not risking my eyes, when I can see photos of it on the computer or TV.

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

9. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Imagine if the weather doesn't cooperate. There will be a million people trying to leave all at once to get someplace else with better viewing conditions.

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Canada news be slow.....

1 person likes this.
  11. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I will be tanning in the nude outside during the eclipse.

12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

There won't be a cloud in the sky here, but yeah, I can imagine someone planning a trip like this years in advance only to be disappointed by heavy overcast conditions.

Hotwater

13. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

CBS is planning on a live televised eclipse from 1-3 pm. on Monday. I assume they will have assorted reporters along the route across the country. To be perfectly honest it sounds like a snoozefest. I suppose it is meant to let people living out of range, or under overcast skies get to see what they are missing.

Where I live in Ohio they are predicting an 86% partial eclipse.

14. egger

egger Member

Another unusual phenomenon that can happen is cloud cover appearing quickly as totality approaches, even if the skies were clear. This is due to the temperature drop which can make the air temperature drop below the dewpoint. It's more likely if the humidity is high and the air is near the dewpoint. People in Canada near the St. Lawrence Seaway saw this happen during the 1972 solar eclipse. The conditions quickly changed from blue sky to cloudy and spoiled the event. The water vapor associated with the Seaway may have played a role.

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature. But it's ok if she fools you! :)

1 person likes this.
  15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah that would be awful. I am leaving work at 1 and avoiding all major highways, hopefully will settled by 1:30 or a little after so I hope I dont have to deal with this mess at all. Forecasters are thinking it will likely be clear here but there is around a 30% chance of cloudcover

16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

so were getting close now...just a few days away,,, i guess we should start voting on who the sacrifice will be...

1 person likes this.
  17. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I know I shouldn't be surprised by people asking yesterday and today (on fb) WHERE are there some eclipse glasses to be found...I think people like that are stupid as hell and probably don't need to risk damage to their eyes (which is close to their itty bitty brains). I can just see the sun frying their eyes and sizzling on back to their brains too. smh

This eclipse had been advertised really all year...and if you buy an almanac (which I do) you would have known about it since last year.

I ordered my eclipse kit from Amazon probably over a month ago. And yes, those glasses have every single initial, word and whatever they are supposed to have to check out as legitimate.

Why are people so ignorant as to wait until NOW to get those glasses???

I'm going to CRY :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: if there is a cloud cover. I wonder if there will still be the strange visual effects that are reported to happen during an eclipse even if there is cloud cover.

18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Ain't no virgins where I live so I guess I'm outta luck.

19. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

There's going to be a radical decline n productivity on that day. I won't be surprised if the Dow and Na fall. Perhaps that's the price of enlightenment - quien sabe?

20. egger

egger Member

21. egger

egger Member

Tags: