There Was A Solar Eclipse On Monday, August 21St

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by tumbling.dice, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I just got a notice from Amazon saying that the 10 Pairs of Eclipse Glasses should just be thrown away.

Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer. We recommend that you DO NOT use this product to view the sun or the eclipse.

Amazon is applying a balance for the purchase price to Your Account (please allow 7-10 days for this to appear on Your Account). There is no need for you to return the product.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

There is an easy test to see of they're real...if you can't see anything through them they're real. Everything should be completely black unless you're staring directly at the sun.

3. Aerianne

I did read the same thing a few days ago. I just don't want to chance my grandchildren's eyesight.

I have to take them to pick up their new eyeglasses tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I can have the eye doctor look at the glasses and tell me something.

4. Aerianne

We can see my husband's flashlight, and my flashlight, through the glasses we have so I guess we will put them in the garbage.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Ah that sucks..Hopefully stores near you will be restocking this weekend amd you can find some glasses!

6. Aerianne

Shit, wait!

My Glasses Appear To Be Safe!!!

I just found this:

"You shouldn't be able to see anything through a safe solar filter except the sun itself or something comparably bright, such as the sun reflected in a mirror, a sunglint off shiny metal, the hot filament of an unfrosted incandescent light bulb, a bright halogen light bulb, a bright-white LED flashlight (including the one on your smartphone), or an arc-welder's torch," the AAS said on its website. "All such sources should appear quite dim through a solar viewer. If you can see lights of more ordinary brightness through your eclipse glasses or handheld viewer, and you're not sure the product came from a reputable vendor, it’s no good." http://www.businessinsider.com/solar-eclipse-2017-how-to-know-if-solar-eclipse-glasses-are-safe-2017-8

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm glad Amazon checked into these things or a lot of people would have damaged their eyes.

Some people will take the refund and use them anyways.... because,Yeah! Some things just can't be fixed...

8. Aerianne

9. Aerianne

Some people won't read their emails to know they were recalled.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Just be careful! I know through mine I couldnt see anything but the sun. I tested it on my cell phone light, halogen and led lights, and reflections on the car and couldn't see anything .

1 person likes this.
  11. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

If Amazon is telling you that they can't confirm that the glasses will work and are recommending that you not use them, it sounds to me like that is the best advice to go by. It sounds like the glasses are probably fine, but try explaining that to your grand kids if they get eye damage.

2 people like this.
  12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Sorry to hear that but isn’t it ironic that we’ll have completely clear skies but only 63% totality whereas you’ll have almost 100% totality but under cloudy conditions

Hotwater

13. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Hey, I see that the path of totality is shooting straight through super granola hipster country. AKA Oregon.

14. Tyrsonswood

Staring at the sun and moon for 2+ minutes seems a little odd to me. I mean we all know what is causing this and know in advance when it's going to happen. It's not a mystery anymore like it was 4000 years ago.

Watching how wildlife reacts to this eclipse on the other hand... That could be interesting.

3 people like this.
  15. Aerianne

The birds will sing their evening songs and the crickets will chirp.

16. Tyrsonswood

And like 3 minutes later go through a wtf moment...

1 person likes this.
  17. Aerianne

The kid's eye doctor would not verify the safety of the glasses. He said to go with what Amazon told me.

1 person likes this.
  18. Aerianne

Hubby is convinced that these will be okay.

In other words, he knows more than the eye doctor.

19. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

You can make a solar eclipse projector with a pair of binoculars and cardboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCnZlH4-6Go

1 person likes this.
  20. Aerianne

Don't be a dumb ass.

21. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  22. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

so you bothered your eye doctor thinking they would actually know something concerning some random friggin' glasses...LOL

c'mon, your smarter than that..I hope.

1 person likes this.
Tags: