There Was A Solar Eclipse On Monday, August 21St

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by tumbling.dice, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Alice in SC

Alice in SC Senior Member

I live near the g-spot !

2 people like this.
  2. egger

egger Member

A unique aspect of a total solar eclipse is that the position of the sun relative to the stars can be measured directly during daylight hours. It's a way of knowing what time it is in a sidereal sense (relative to stars) as opposed to a tropical sense (based on the length of a year from spring equinox to the next spring equinox).

Another approach for measurement of sidereal time involves taking advantage of a total lunar eclipse. It's known that the sun is opposite the moon mid-way through a lunar eclipse. The sun is 180 degrees out of phase with wherever the moon is located relative to the stars during the lunar eclipse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_precession

From the wiki article:

"Hipparchus also studied precession in On the Length of the Year. Two kinds of year are relevant to understanding his work. The tropical year is the length of time that the Sun, as viewed from the Earth, takes to return to the same position along the ecliptic (its path among the stars on the celestial sphere). The sidereal year is the length of time that the Sun takes to return to the same position with respect to the stars of the celestial sphere. Precession causes the stars to change their longitude slightly each year, so the sidereal year is longer than the tropical year. Using observations of the equinoxes and solstices, Hipparchus found that the length of the tropical year was 365+1/4−1/300 days, or 365.24667 days (Evans 1998, p. 209). Comparing this with the length of the sidereal year, he calculated that the rate of precession was not less than 1° in a century. From this information, it is possible to calculate that his value for the sidereal year was 365+1/4+1/144 days (Toomer 1978, p. 218). By giving a minimum rate he may have been allowing for errors in observation."

3. egger

egger Member

One of the most blatant examples of the advantage of viewing a total solar eclipse was the observation that stars near the sun were slightly out of their expected positions due to the bending of their light by the warpage of spacetime due to the sun's mass.

https://www.wired.com/2009/05/dayintech_0529/

excerpt:

"Sir Frank Watson Dyson, Astronomer Royal of Britain, conceived in 1917 the perfect experiment to resolve the issue. A total solar eclipse on May 29, 1919, would occur just as the sun was crossing the bright Hyades star cluster. Dyson realized that the light from the stars would have to pass through the sun’s gravitational field on its way to Earth, yet would be visible due to the darkness of the eclipse. This would allow accurate measurements of the stars’ gravity-shifted positions in the sky.

Both locations had clear skies, and the astronomers took several pictures during the six minutes of total eclipse. When Eddington returned to England, his data from Príncipe confirmed Einstein’s predictions. Eddington announced his findings on Nov. 6, 1919. The next morning, Einstein, until then a relatively obscure newcomer in theoretical physics, was on the front page of major newspapers around the world."

2 people like this.
  4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

My brother is getting married on the day of the eclipse. And he hired me to be the minister.

1 person likes this.
  5. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

BITCHES! ECLIPSES ARE EVIL!!!!! HIDE FROM THEM AND MEDITATE!!!!! I'm not joking...

6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Back in 1994 I was situated over the path of totality and it was incredible, this time no so much but I’m still looking forward to this eclipse almost as much
    as I’m looking forward to the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor fight on the 26th [​IMG]

I've got my eclipse glasses so let the fun begin

Hotwater

1 person likes this.
  7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I went to buy eclipse glasses today, and they were out. The teenage clerk said " come back later, we will reorder "

But sometimes I don't feel like coming back

8. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Are You An "Ordained Preacher"....???... :)

Cheers Glen.

9. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The eclipse will peak at 2:37:23 pm EDT, when the moon obscures 96.8% of the sun.

^
    In my zip code.

10. 6-eyed shaman

I am now :)

1 person likes this.
  11. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

So How Does That Work...???...Don't You Have To Attend And Graduate From

"Preacher School" To Be Legally Able To Marry Someone....???....[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

12. 6-eyed shaman

Not really. All you need is to be over the age of 13, fill out a form, be a legal citizen, and pay a small filing fee.

It surprised me how easy it was to acquire.

13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

What? You're over 13?!? ;)

14. egger

egger Member

You're fortunate. Looks like you're near Atlanta or the north side of the eclipse near Cherokee National Forest. If you're that close and have the opportunity to travel, the center track of totality would be about 100 miles away and the outskirts of totality about 70 miles.

15. 6-eyed shaman

In age. Not in maturity.

16. 6-eyed shaman

Traffic getting to the site of the eclipse is going to be an atrocious mess. Everyone from California and Washington are gonna come here to see it. The National Guard and the helicopter patrols are going to lead traffic. Motels and camp sites are tripling their rates that week. It's gonna get crazy.

17. 6-eyed shaman

A forest fire in that part of the country where I'm heading, especially this time of year, can turn very deadly for a lot of people.

Fire danger levels all across the northwest is at Extreme

18. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, about 70 miles from here for totality area.

We're going to stay home with the grandkids. I thought about it and I think it will mean more to them in familiar surroundings. Sure, I've driven to strange places and seen strange things...but, to see it from your own yard...I just think it will impact them more.

19. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I agree with watching it from your own yard - IF you can...since I live surrounded by woods...in my yard and everywhere around, except for across the road where the demon still rents the building where BB was trapped for so long. I am NOT going over there. If I had to ride up the road and sit in a parking lot and watch it, I would.

As it stands, I'm having to stay after the bff (which I don't understand having to stay after her like I am) to get her to ask her step daughter, that she calls her daughter, to see if we can watch it in her front yard.

I really don't get it. I've purchased our sunglasses and everything... I am so excited since I am in the path of seeing it in its totality!

She is like meh...I'll ask her again and she'll bring up some stupid shit that has nothing to do with anything. [​IMG] WTF is the problem LuAnn??????

1 person likes this.
  20. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

If bff keeps on like she is, that is exactly what I will do - I will ride up the road and go to a parking lot and sit there and watch it.

I'm not missing this because a whining woman has got her great big panties in a wad. Hell no.

1 person likes this.
Tags: