Therapy fail

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Piobaire, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I see a guy (via Zoom) once a week for PTSD. Last session, I mentioned how much I'm looking forward to getting inoculated, and reengaging with groups and activities which (pre-pandemic) were good for me. He got all triggered and started blithering all the usual rubbish; vaccines cause autism, Bill Gates, COVID is a bioweapon made in Canada, deaths are intentionally exaggerated, and I'm rigid and authoritarian in my thinking because I'm not open-minded enough to let my brains fall out. No matter how I tried to extricate myself from the conversation, he just kept banging on with his utterly fact-free nonsense, until he finally got off on a tangent of how "people like me want to take away everyone's guns" and how an AR-15 isn't an assault weapon...and that was it; I got sucked right into the vortex. I pointed out that Eugene Stoner specifically designed the AR-15 as an assault rifle; as a better counter to the AK-47 than the M-14, and that the one and only difference between an AR-15 and an M-16 is that the latter is selective fire. He responded that they weren't even the same caliber, to which I responded that was utter nonsense; they both fire a 5.56 mm NATO round. He got all huffy and asked, "Well; have you ever actually fired and M-16 or an AR-15?" "Yeah; both M-16's and AR-15's". With that, he abruptly ended the session.
    Not at all sure how I feel about continuing in therapy with someone who projects, gaslights, and eschews science for New Agey bullshit.
    BTW: We live in a small village; he's the only game in town.