The Young to Old Hippie FAQ Thread

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Southernman, May 10, 2004.

1. Primordial_Matrix

Primordial_Matrix Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hmmm? Batches, eh? As in a' la Leary enlightenment? If so, cool, if its pure. The last trip I took was in L.A. in 1990. Even then, the quality of the acid was not quite up to par with that of my "hippie years"-- My husband told me that when he was living in Germany(just about 3 years ago) that in nearby Amsterdam you could buy shrooms in the special coffee shops, the same ones where you could buy weed, completely legal. If only that was the could be the case here. A place to go buy acid, even a safe place to trip, that sort of thing. Ah, if only we didn't live in such a fearful controlling society here in America. Ah, well... but you know, I believe in shamanic journey. My trips have always been exploitative/spiritually oriented in nature. I can't see using acid or shrooms for recreation. I have always held to the Leary theory that acid opens up the mind to the soul to the truth, etc.--very threatening stuff to the status quo, and particularly to the government. Too bad. I still believe that LSD would change the world to a more positive place, if it was distributed and given under the guidance of LSD centers like those that Leary had wanted to establish.

2. Schlüßelberg

Schlüßelberg Member

Yeah, I spent 5 weeks in Deutschland August-Sept. 2003, and weed was pretty easy to find in berlin and Munich. About Amsterdam...technically, mushrooms and herb are still technically illegal, it's just that the powers that be have other things to do than harass heads.

I'm not really into using the major sacraments for recreation, but I am certainly for using them for the more Dionysian forms of worship (think ecstatic dancing like the Sufis or at the old Dead concerts). I'm at the point now where I'd like to use them to begin preparing for my death (Andrew Weil was on NPR last week talking about his new book, wherein he discusses that subject). That, IMO, is the ultimate "shamanic" journey (quotation marks because maybe that's not the right word).

I most definitely believe that LSD has the potential to improve the world, as you do, and I would love to see either Entheogenic Temples (so to speak) or so much in the world that nobody could profit from it, in realistic doses (rather than the weak, almost non-existent concentrations that have been the norm in the past 20 years or so (which was Pickard's MAJOR error, IMO)).

I'm guessing that we see pretty much eye-to-eye on this.:H

Tranquility, S.

3. Southernman

Southernman Boarischer Rebell

4. Primordial_Matrix

Thanks for the link to the Wayback machine! That is so cool.
    About the nature of consiousness? That is something that to me has pretty much been answered through the concepts available within M-Theory (formally known as Super-String Theory)--There is this one very cool, and very approachable, theoretical physicist who has written quite a lot on this: http://www.fredalanwolf.com/
    Now, how do psycholdelic drugs fit into this? That is the question. All I know it that LSD pulls away the curtain of illusion, the illusion known as the physical world...and it somehow peels back the barriors (found within physical "perceptions") that keep us from realizing our true power and ability to control our own reality, or any reality for that matter. We live in a world, a universe of thought. Pure conciousness is the true nature of all reality.

I have had some very tangible experiences in my life, starting in childhood, (long before I ever took any hallucenagenics) that showed me without a doubt that all I had been taught (up to that point) by the traditional teachers, scientists, religions, and my parents concerning what is--was not. There was more, so much more, and I have spent much of my life dealing with this, and always open to new possibilities. To me, M-Theory opens up a whole world of explanation for what I have always experienced yet had no explanation. It would be interesting if research into this whole LSD, the chemistry of our brains, the nature of concieousness, etc. could be done, but that will never happen, not anytime soon, and not in the mainstream. LSD is a threat to the status quo powers that be....research into that whole field is much too threatening.

Can you imagine the implications and consequences of what could be found? Why the whole structure of most organized religions, and their political connections and foundations of many societies would just fall apart from it all---What would the Christian extremist right wingers do if they were confronted with the truth of what God might just be really about? Whata ya mean God doesn't sit on a throne (dressed in white robes) judging us all?" "Whata ya mean God isn't Jesus, or for that matter, the Muslim fundamemtalist's realizing that God isn't Allah and he doesn't have any fucking virigins waiting in paradise for anybody?"
    Or, our government, not being able to say "God is on our side! We are a God fearing Christian nation!"<<<what would any of that mean anymore? Where would the power to control be left? How could any government or group with a political agenda tie all their bullshit into God again?
    Yeah, way too threatening stuff to ever get into.

5. Southernman

Interesting thoughts. Stephen Hawkins fan? Never had any religous-like experiences in the old days. I go with Albert Hofmann that that, what happens in the brain is a gigantic short-circuit of the synaptic transmitter substances and if you want religous-like experiences, you get religous-like experiences. All the gods out there only drug-based visions? I like this idea. BTW, welcome here. Fine, that you found this little corner in the www.

6. Primordial_Matrix

Nah, I'm not a Stephen Hawkins fan at all--far from it! I'm more of a 'sort of fan' of all the many books put out by Dr Fred Alan Wolf, and other theoretical physicists out there who have a lot to say on this subject of consciousness-via the M-theory. For me, the implications I have found within M-theory, has brought a possible explanation to much of what I have experienced most of my life as the so called 'paranormal/mystical"--all quite real realms, in the world of thought (consciousness) that is. Since childhood I have always instinctively known that what has been often times labeled as supernatural was not so...that in fact it was all natural...just in a different dimension. M-theory physics gets very much into the concept of parallel universes. In the past, I have been involved in research projects as a subject, regarding the personality of experience prone beings such as myself, by Dr. ken Ring/The Omega Project. But, that whole area (psychological research) is still considered to be far out there outside the realm of real physical science, more like a new age la la land by the cynics, but when you get into physics /quantum /super-string /matrix theory/and of course now M-theory-and the theoretical physicists involved are far from being considered out there. Yet, most traditional scientists and layman cynics know very little about it.

Dr Fred Wolf,
    http://fredalanwolf.blogspot.com/

http://www.fredalanwolf.com/

and

Dr M Kaku,
    http://www.mkaku.org/

7. DerBaron_Hobskewward

DerBaron_Hobskewward Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

;-)
    I found these links that may be helpful to those curious about what m theory is and how it evolved:

http://www.wwnorton.com/catalog/fall03/005858.htm

Or Google search:
    http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:H5tnFozdtIkJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory_(simplified_explanation)+M-theory+(simplified)&hl=en

8. Southernman

Wow, a lot of stuff to read, but I know the strings and M theories allready and as theories says, just theories among a lot of other theories. Who cares? Me not.

From your Wikipedia-link: If ever experimentally verified, M-theory and String-theory would represent remarkable advances in science.

Until this happens, let's have fun and boogie the strings.

9. Primordial_Matrix

Cool~
    I agree we probably do see eye to eye. It's just one of those things that either you have been "experienced" or you haven't, and you just can't explain it to someone who hasn't been there. I can tell that you most likely have been there. I very much understand your idea in preparing for death. I believe in that as well, not only coming from a place of my having had a lot of personal direct/non-hallucinogenic paranormal experiences in my life, but also from what I have learned in Tibetan Buddhism, which very much gets into that concept as well very much a long the lines of the ultimate shamanic journey. Plus, I have participated in one of the projects and the work of Dr. Ken Ring, whose many books on the subject of near death experience, etc.--follow along those lines of thought and belief as well.

As to "Southernman's" comment:
    You know though, over the years I've developed the opinion that it is not my job to make anyone believe in anything--because it doesn't matter really--belief isn't required at all. Some things exist, and some things just are--with or without anyone's so called belief. Also, when it comes to verify M-theory within the limits of today's scientific methods of reproduction in the laboratory, etc.---it's not going to happen. Today's method's are primitive and cannot prove concepts that go beyond its limits. Doesn't matter to me though. Experience is all that really matters to me, no matter anyone's theory, so you might say that some theories hold stronger ground with me than others depending on my own experience.
    Gotta agree with you on the "let's have fun" part. I believe in fun. Yee Haw! I have as much as I can squeeze into any given moment. Cool :)

10. phooqu2

phooqu2 Banned

I seen alot of folks go mad from LSD...they took too powerful a hit and got brain damage...fired their wires...and were never the same. Most of that stuff is a pharmaceutical product from somebody's home lab. I recommend not taking any hits of LSD. However, you may want to look into organic morning glory seeds. Not the store bought kind. you could pickem if you wanted to. Just grind em up and pour boiling water over them and let them soak an hour, strain, add sugar, voila. Pearly Gates. they don't get that name for nuthin'.
    It does loosen up your bolts though. you'll never be the same. YOur mental associations will not be as direct as they were before. You may not be able to concentrate without divergent thoughts intruding. If you are into meditation, or prayer, you may not want that.

11. luvhuffer

luvhuffer Member

Most of the problems with acid wasn't from the acid itself, but rather wildly varying dosages, and a lot of other crap like strychnine being added. An interesting book is called LSD My Problem Child written by Albert Hofmann, the man who first synthesized LSD and took the first trip. You can find the book in it's entirety online here.

If I was contemplating taking any kind of psychedelic now, I would go with sillycybin. That was always the most enjoyable high. Very controllable with little or no psychotic side effects. Just colors and laughter. SWEET! Reminds me of the Brylcream hair goop jingle.

Silly, a little gram will do ya
    Use more only if you dare
    But watch out, the gals will all pursue ya
    They love to see those colors in your hair. LOL

[​IMG]

12. Primordial_Matrix

I agree.

13. bioblond

bioblond Member

Im 56 yrs old..lived in San Fran 1968 after the love movement was over. Hippies robbed me 2 times in the Haight. I got pissed...and I was a fellow hippie - go figure.

The Fillmore was awesome....as well as Winterland. If anyone would like to converse, I have an Ebay private group which would totally enjoy your posts. Peace, love and smooches....

Sandi

14. Xenon

Xenon Member

55 years old, on the East Coast, and was to the Fillmore East many times. The bands there: The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Emerson Lake Palmer, The Nice, Spirit, Savoy Brown, Fleetwood Mac, Curved Air, Jethro Tull, Ultimate Spinach, Led Zeppelin (First night in the USA), Iron Butterfly, The Dead, Grand Funk Railroad, Lothar and The Hand People, and so many more.

Like bioblond, I was robbed, but I got away. I never thought that somebody who had long hair was automatically a hippy. A real hippy would never rob anyone. These were greasers with long hair.

The acid got bad around 1972, when it was cut with strychnine. Shrooms always made me a bit sick, as did Peyote. The best was synthetic psilocybin and pure Sandoz, hands down. DMT was strange to say the least. Still hangs with me almost 40 years later.

I always thought the hippy culture was not head, flower child, and freak, but Field, Urban, and Space. Inside of those sub-categories were over-indulgers, under-indulgers, and those just right.

Sad to see people I went to high school with. Many former heads are in complete denial on what happened back then, especially the girl in my senior class who opened her locker next to mine with a pound of weed in it. She knew I was cool, so no hassle. Now, she and others simply block it out.

15. onelovemission

onelovemission Member

Don't waste time wishing you were around in the 60's and 70's. Take that activists spirit that it within you and start your own activism path now!!

The world needs people like you to cause a fuss, make a scene and change things.

The feeling I have is that there are loads and loads of young people out there wanting to make a difference, they just don't know how. I am sure if you looked on the net, you could join up with some causes local to you, or even better, start your own protest / cause. The more you do, the more people you will attract. I am sure that if other young people in your area knew that something was happenning, they would join in.

Make it happen, you have the power, nobody else can make it happen for you except you!!!!!

Peace

16. luvhuffer

luvhuffer Member

Well said!

17. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

so there were sub categories of hippies?
    could you explain a littlebit more about it?
    what were space hippies for example...

18. luvhuffer

luvhuffer Member

AH HA HA HA HA!!! I like those subcategorys. Here is a film about 2 urban underindulgers overindulging from back in the day. I don't know how I missed this one. I thought I'd seen all those 60s anti drug propaganda films. Check this out. It's poor quality but truly hysterical. Complete with light show. I had to share.

Will she bite the weenie? "L.S.D. A Case Study" Brought to you by Lockheed Aircraft Corp.! I love how they even included the periods after the letters in LSD. WTF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPgpYux8HJQ&search=l.s.d.

19. Schlüßelberg

Schlüßelberg Member

Oh, that is hilarious, Luvhuffer! TY so very much. That link is going to a politicks board I uselessly argue on. Just for the righties to gnaw on.

20. Mina_White_Rabbit

Mina_White_Rabbit Member

Yeah This is Cool
    I have 17 years for example :D :D