The Year 2000

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Libbygrable87, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

Remember this year when Al Gore ran against Bush only to have Bush win. I never fully found out how he won I just remember what a mess that election was for the time being. It was a mess our social studies teacher said this would be in our history books this was a big deal before 9/11. I was 13 at the time so my parents had their hands full. Eminem was the best thing since sliced bread to me. I was listening to Blink 182, Green Day, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Kittie and techno. Same Sex marriage was not legal but slowly on its way to becoming legal. My Mom was for same sex marriage which shocked me and so was my step Mom because most everyone were homophobic now they aren't because they are adults and more understanding.

mountain_seed likes this.
  2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Got my drivers permit in 2000. That was pretty cool, and I smoked weed for the first time that year as well.

I remember the hype and anticipation awaiting for the date 1/1/00. That was cool.

The only thing that totally ruined 2000 was that gawd awful song "who let the dogs out" by the Baha Men.

mountain_seed and Grand prix like this.
  3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

w00t

4. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

I hated that song as well. I also remember DMX and Ja Rule. I had crappy taste of music back then. I was just getting over the Back Street Boys. I was 13.

mountain_seed likes this.
  5. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

My taste in music was a lot crappier back then too. Fortunately I hated every boy band of that era. I actually thought Tom Green was funny back in those days. :oops:

6. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

7. morrow

morrow Visitor

My sister after having 6 miscarriages had a baby girl... not such a baby now lol.. I was in work and cried my heart out.. 2000 for that reason, was brilliant.

Mallyboppa likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

-inserts Silverchair song-

Meliai likes this.
  9. When the clock struck twelve I was wandering the deserted streets of my hometown with a friend screaming at the top of my lungs "It's the year 2000!" It seemed like there should have been a party on the streets at least. People don't know how to celebrate around here.

10. Visexual

Visexual Member

You said you didn't know how Bush won in 2000? Well, the answer is Katherine Harris! Dubya's brother, Jeb, was governor of Florida at the time and his Secretary of State was Katherine Harris. She agreed to give Florida to Bush in exchange for her being given a seat in the US House.

And, did you know that each of the five times that the presidency was decided by the Electoral College over the popular vote, it was given to the GOP. I saw a photo of Bill and Hillary Clinton and Al and Tipper Gore recently and thought, "you know, three of the four won the popular vote for president and only one served.

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Orison likes this.
  12. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

March 2000 After Working The Farm All My Life I Leased It Out To A Broard Acre Farmer......

And Retired......No Regrets Whatsoever...... :D

Cheers Glen.

morrow likes this.
  13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember the pbs new year special for that year. i remember, world peace looking like we were on the brink, that it was achievable, i mean, its always achievable, but we were so close.
    and of course all the idiots panicking, or pretending to, because, you know, a great big even number, and all the planes were gonna fall out of the sky, because some dead guy, might get a welfare check because the computers only knew the last two digits of the year. humans, humans, humans. it wasn't as good a year for imagination as 1970, but it was hopeful.

music for me, was celtic, world beat, and hearts of space.

tv was "are you being served", "benny hill", "murder she wrote", and either ds-9 or v-ger, if forget, whatever itteration of star trek was current.
    i think rocko's modern life was along about then too, but i'm not certain.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

All I remember about 2000 is the Olympics

....oh, and that everyones clock on their computer didnt destroy the planet

themnax and morrow like this.
  15. morrow

morrow Visitor

Glad to see you, hope your well..

Cheers Glen

GLENGLEN likes this.
  16. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

I remember being for Bush because of Tipper Gore. Tipper Gore was the one who started Parental Adversary stickers on CD's and I thought it was crap. Al Gore was the better choice. I was Thirteen and loved music with F-Bombs in it.

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i remember 1999 and 2001, but i can't think of anything significant that happened in my life in 2000. must have been kind of a dud year.

18. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

I remember the year because I had my first real crush.

19. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I bought my first computer in 2000.

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Thats exactly what I came here for : D

guerillabedlam and Irminsul like this.